WIN RESEARCH SM/8

DANNY S

Sep 14, 2019
ANYONE RECOGNIZE THESE? win sm8 2.jpg win sm8.jpg
PLEASE EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE - I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT STUDIO EQUIPMENT. WHAT ARE THEY AND DO THEY HAVE ANY VALUE? I FOUND JUST A BIT OF INFO ABOUT WIN RESEARCH SPEAKERS BEING VERY HIGH END IN THE 80s-90s(?) SO I TOOK A CHANCE AND PICKED THESE UP. (DISREGARD ART CLEAN BOX PRO - JUST ASKING ABOUT THE TWIN BLACK BOXES LABELED WIN SM8)

THANKS

xjr15

Apr 9, 2019
They are outboard crossover network boxes for Win Research SM/8 loudspeakers. Win Research were a small company that made very innovative high-end consumer audio products in the 1980s/90s, namely turntables, phono cartridges, and loudspeakers. The crossover networks for the loudspeakers were housed in boxes mounted on the speaker stands to facilitate updates to the networks. The SM/8, which was a small monitor, was notable and unique for having flat planar bass/midrange drivers made of exotic materials using a proprietary manufacturing process. A pair of the SM/8s cost 5000 USD retail, including special stands. You can read about it in issue #22 of the long defunct magazine, The Audio Critic, at
https://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/mags/The_Audio_Critic_22_r.pdf.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing