Wilson Watt 3 Tiny Tots Tweeter issue

sanfranphono

Jun 29, 2022
Hello new to the forum. Got burdened with a pair of Wilson Watt 2 Audio Puppies/ Watt 3 Tiny Tots
Fired them up for the first time today. One Tiny Tot works fine, the other one seems to have a dead tweeter.

Took the tweeter out, did not unsolder the internal wires, and measured across the terminals (with the internal wires still attached) 24.4 Ohm. Is this meaningful, or am I just measuring something in the dividing network?

Thanks

Carsten

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello new to the forum. Got burdened with a pair of Wilson Watt 2 Audio Puppies/ Watt 3 Tiny Tots
Fired them up for the first time today. One Tiny Tot works fine, the other one seems to have a dead tweeter.

Took the tweeter out, did not unsolder the internal wires, and measured across the terminals (with the internal wires still attached) 24.4 Ohm. Is this meaningful, or am I just measuring something in the dividing network?

Thanks

Carsten
Hi Carsten,
You are indeed measuring the crossover network. Please unsolder it to see if it's burnt. It can be damaged either by coil burning and being open circuit, or burnt and shorted. You should expect a few ohms of resistance if its okay.

BalanceAudio

Jun 30, 2022
Hi Carsten,
Please excuse me as I have just joined,I may be able to get a WATT 3 tweeter as a local dealer has a single WATT speaker with both woofer and tweeter.I am in the UK.Would this be of interest? Kind regards, Steven

sanfranphono

Jun 29, 2022
Hello thanks for the replies. Unsoldered both tweeters, the good one measures 6.8 Ohms the bad one has no continuity.

Anyone repair these speakers?

Sorry located in the US, shipping would be prohibitive.

Carsten

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hi there, Yes you will need to get that tweet repaired--should'nt be too hard ,its a Focal model but that one you have will /(should unless replaced earlier)have the Factory clear tube shot filled extension from the magnet.The basic Focal would not have that .

Good luck pick your poison from the list below --or why not contact Wilson direct--they may be able to advise /Help Supply /etc.

BruceD

Speaker Repair Companies

B&K Enterprises (Russellville, AZ) - Klipsch crossover upgrades
DHS Speaker Service (Feeding Hills, MA)
HiFi Haus Speaker, Turntable, Amp Repair (Madison, WI)
Midwest Speaker Repair (Roseville, MN)
Millersound (Lansdale, PA)
Orban Audio (North Canton, OH)
The Loudspeaker Store, LLC (Kent, WA)
Simply Speakers (St. Petersburg, FL)
Sound Projects (Baltimore, MD )
Speaker Repair & Reconing Center of Colorado (Englewood, CO)
The Speaker Exchange (Tampa, FL)
Van L Speakerworks (Chicago, IL)

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello thanks for the replies. Unsoldered both tweeters, the good one measures 6.8 Ohms the bad one has no continuity.

Anyone repair these speakers?

Sorry located in the US, shipping would be prohibitive.

Carsten
Good luck, and let us know how it went. When you will be preparing the tweeter for shipping remember to protect the diaphragm from being pushed on. Spacers are a good idea :)

sanfranphono

Jun 29, 2022
Thanks a bunch for the referrals. Contacted Wilson, that tweeter is no longer available, they want to upgrade me to a pair of Titanium Dome tweeters : (

Carsten

Last edited:
Reactions: BruceD

Alfa

Sep 15, 2013
Thanks a bunch for the referrals. Contacted Wilson, that tweeter is no longer available, they want to upgrade me to a pair of Titanium Dome tweeters : (

Carsten
I'm curious how much did they quote you for the titanium tweeter? I have WP3/2s and the tweeters were changed by the local dealer to those similar to the WP7 when the originals broke down i presume. They're not so bad.

sanfranphono

Jun 29, 2022
I think the coils are just Focus standard coils, the diaphragm is custom.
His first guess was that the lead broke.

Carsten

k600r

May 27, 2022
Hi,
I have Wattversion 1 and both tweeters were showing no sounds of life. I contacted Madisound to see about repairing them, sent detailed pictures and ultimately sent them in. Not fixable I was told.
The good news is Wilson can get you the tweeters new from Focal as they make these for older models on a limited basis, cost, $500.00 each.
I sucked it up and bought two new ones, the local Wilson dealer installed them and I was back up and running. I would recommend calling a Wilson dealer as all parts must be purchased through a dealer per Wilson’s practice.
Contact Jerron at Wilson, his email is on the website Unser contact us I believe. He can help you out on the best way to go.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

k600r

May 27, 2022
Just an addendum to my last post. It was Millersound, not Madisound.
Yes the new replacements use a titanium inverted dome, the old fiberglass ones are long gone. If you do get the new ones from Wilson, it comes with a resistor that needs to be soldered in with the tweeter to pad down to the correct level for that particular crossover.
The new ones do sound excellent, plenty of detail, lots of air around instruments and do not seem to be fatiguing in any way. I’m happy with them.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Just an addendum to my last post. It was Millersound, not Madisound.
Yes the new replacements use a titanium inverted dome, the old fiberglass ones are long gone. If you do get the new ones from Wilson, it comes with a resistor that needs to be soldered in with the tweeter to pad down to the correct level for that particular crossover.
The new ones do sound excellent, plenty of detail, lots of air around instruments and do not seem to be fatiguing in any way. I’m happy with them.
It's excellent customer service that Wilson was able to provide indirect replacement and correction instructions for a long-gone product. Kudos.

Reactions: Zeotrope

k600r

May 27, 2022
I have a pair of Watt 2's that had burned tweeters also. Sent pictures to Madisound and others and they said not repairable. Anyway contacted Wilson and ended up buying the new Focal tweeters but due to the pandemic, had to wait a god awful amount of time for them, about a year. After installing them with the resister provided, the magic was back. Wilson still will take care of your older speakers which is admirable I think as not many companies do that any longer. They also cary the woofers for those early models to, you send in your old ones and they send them to the manufacturer who refurbishes them to original spec., cost $250.00 each, cheaper thanm the tweeters and worth it if you want to keep your older Watts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing