Wilson Sophian2 tweeter repair/replacement

jferro2000

Dec 22, 2021
Hello,

My Sophia 2 tweeter surround foam has degraded and now the tweeter makes significant distortion. I called several repair shops who cannot repair them, in fact, you can only get the foam surround from France or China.

Over the past 3 weeks I have been trying to get support for replacement tweeters and have called Wilson service in Utah several times and they referred me to my local dealer, Innovative Audio in NYC, who I also called and emailed several times with no follow-up.

I purchased the speakers from Woodbridge Stereo in NJ and they do not carry the brand any longer.

Does anyone have experience with Wilson tweeter repair/replacement or know of a responsive Wilson dealer they can recommend?

Thanks,

Joe

• Angry
Reactions: Johan K

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Hello,

My Sophia 2 tweeter surround foam has degraded and now the tweeter makes significant distortion. I called several repair shops who cannot repair them, in fact, you can only get the foam surround from France or China.

Over the past 3 weeks I have been trying to get support for replacement tweeters and have called Wilson service in Utah several times and they referred me to my local dealer, Innovative Audio in NYC, who I also called and emailed several times with no follow-up.

I purchased the speakers from Woodbridge Stereo in NJ and they do not carry the brand any longer.

Does anyone have experience with Wilson tweeter repair/replacement or know of a responsive Wilson dealer they can recommend?

Thanks,

Joe
Hello Joe,

Sorry about that.
The two tweeter cost 3000 EUR in France.
If you are in USA, you must pay taxes.

Best regards

jferro2000

Dec 22, 2021
Just wanted to post a follow up note.

Good news is that I received a note from David at Wilson Audio and replacement tweeters are avaialble for Sophia 2's' He offered assistance in working with a dealer of my choice in getting a pair in a week. They cost $1400 per pair and include a different value tweeter resisitor.

Even better news is I sent the tweeters to Bill at Millersound Speaker repair (from an audio forum rec) and he repaired them with custom made surrounds for $140 per pair. They sound better than the day I got them ( I have better assoc gear). He does outstanding work, is a real gentleman to work with, and prices are very reasonable

I'm surprised his name isn't pasted over the internet as I scoured the forums looking for Wilson Sophia repair/ replacement and only found a difficult youtube video.

Highest recommendation and thanks to Millersound Speaker repair!

Joe

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
Thank you for the update Joe! My 20+ year old speakers use the same Focal design as their main HF driver, and while the builder has developed an alternative tweeter as replacement (with necessary small xover mod), it’s good to know there's someone out there that can repair those surrounds. The loss of structural integrity in that surround material has been the kiss of death for a lot of speakers. Blessings!

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hello,

Thanks,

Joe
Dear Joe,

It gets me so upset to read about your trouble. Why does it ALWAYS have to be such a mess when something gets broken in the hifi business…??? Why can’t wilson just send some repair stuff along with an invoice? You get the tweeter-foam, then you pay, and all the trouble is gone… All this shit makes me like a volcano inside… sorry to say…:mad:!!

I really hope it works out for you… I hold my fingers crossed for you;).

All the best

/ Jk

Reactions: thomask

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Joe,

Haha, I’ll guess they heard my roaring all the way from Sweden to Utah!!

Great it worked out for you!

/ Jk

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Just wanted to post a follow up note.

Good news is that I received a note from David at Wilson Audio and replacement tweeters are avaialble for Sophia 2's' He offered assistance in working with a dealer of my choice in getting a pair in a week. They cost $1400 per pair and include a different value tweeter resisitor.

Even better news is I sent the tweeters to Bill at Millersound Speaker repair (from an audio forum rec) and he repaired them with custom made surrounds for $140 per pair. They sound better than the day I got them ( I have better assoc gear). He does outstanding work, is a real gentleman to work with, and prices are very reasonable

I'm surprised his name isn't pasted over the internet as I scoured the forums looking for Wilson Sophia repair/ replacement and only found a difficult youtube video.

Highest recommendation and thanks to Millersound Speaker repair!

Joe
So, perhaps your tweeters has a problem before buying them...
At this price, Wilson Audio tweeter is not reliable ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"All is well that ends well."
enjoy the music.

Reactions: Johan K

JR.junior

Oct 22, 2022
New Wilson Inverted replecable Focal tweeters have now a new rubber surround, last very, very long.

Attachments

• IMG_20230306_160700.jpg
    IMG_20230306_160700.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 15

jferro2000

Dec 22, 2021
Thanks very much for the photos JR...they look substantial. Have you heard them?
Funny, but I just spoke to Jerron at Wilson yesterday and he thinks they are an upgrade.
You also need to replace the tweeter resistor that comes with it.
Millersound did a great job with the repair but I wonder if it remains within Wilson specs.
I'll get a new pair of tweeters and report back.
Best,
Joe

JR.junior

Oct 22, 2022
I'm electronic repair tech and I've repaired many Focal tweeters..which are very very nice sounding indeed. Report your findigs with you new tweeters.

Attachments

• IMG_20230324_210341.jpg
    IMG_20230324_210341.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 16

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing