Wilson Audio announces The Pedestal isolation pod.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Indeed. But it's not like many a physicist hasn't died trying to achieve the physically impossible. Maybe one day one of these physics-minded types will experiment by treating mechanical energy just like they treat electrical energy in the lightning rod industry where the unwanted energy is redirected before it can induce its catastrophic harm. That strategy has worked exceedlingly well there since 1753. Just sayin' :)

Have you heard of Star Sound Technologies? His platforms are designed specifically to maximize mechanical grounding and minimize the effects of absorption and isolation.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
i've compared 5 sets of feet in Phil's system years ago, so have some experience here. generally speaking i was underwhelmed across the board. you're welcome to do your own study without me.

it's funny that just a few years ago all the Stillpoints guys were telling us how spending 10k on footers was a mind-altering experience and now on this thread apparently they are junk. Magico recommended no footers under their speakers until they suddenly made their own :rolleyes: i view this similarly.

The Pedestal is not designed for speakers.

Wilson wants coupling, not isolation under speakers.

The only exception is the TuneTot Isobase which is explicitly designed for far less than optimum surfaces such as shelves or desks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) My fave was the Wadax Reference dac where "thousands of hours of auditioning" was part of the sales pitch. You mean your hobby is your job and you can charge for the hours spent indulging yr pastime Lol.

Did you ever listen to the Wadax Reference dac?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Magico recommended no footers under their speakers until they suddenly made their own :rolleyes: i view this similarly.

Keith, I'm not aware of Magico ever not recommending footers under their speakers. Their first real commercial speaker was the Mini. I owned the Mini II for years. It came with a choice of two different footers, either rounded cones, or sharp spikes. I used the former. I spoke to Alon Wolf about this at my local dealer. He said the coupling to the floor was essential for best performance so he recommended I use the cones for my Mini IIs. Then I got the Q3. They also came with spikes and floor protectors. (I later upgraded to the SPods to good effect).

Are you thinking that they did not recommend the use of other people's footers under their speakers? As far as I know, they have always sold their speakers with footers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Did you ever listen to the Wadax Reference dac?
Of course not, I don't mix in those circles. You're missing my point. I think it's preposterous to claim the time you spend listening to music as part of your pitch. Hours slaved over a hot soldering iron, yes. Listening to music, no.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Have you heard of Star Sound Technologies? His platforms are designed specifically to maximize mechanical grounding and minimize the effects of absorption and isolation.
I've had them in my system and found them to be pretty colored in not necessarily a pleasant way.
Might work better in a different system

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I've had them in my system and found them to be pretty colored in not necessarily a pleasant way.
Might work better in a different system

Please elaborate if you don’t mind? Were they older models? I’ve found them to be completely neutral. If you went from wood to his platforms I could see them being strident given the colorations most wood provides.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Please elaborate if you don’t mind? Were they older models? I’ve found them to be completely neutral. If you went from wood to his platforms I could see them being strident given the colorations most wood provides.
They were older models.
They made it to sound bright and strident, especially when in contact with a metal chassis.
Not so much under the speakers, but definitely under the amps and preamp

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Piece of SS with some elastic material- $775???
That's a new one.
Is there ever going to be a ceiling to the insanity
I'm going to fix my leaky shed roof with Ice and Water shield, and will use the leftovers under 1" thick stainless steel and 1" aluminum sitting on 3/4" MDF.

These pods are not for me.

I love being cheap.

Reactions: bazelio

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I agree with your observations with regards to Stillpoints,
I always had an impression that when Stillpoints are facing metal surface, like Symposium platform for instance, they sound sharp and artificial.
I have Ultra 5 only under the speakers with ebony wood in b/w them and Symposium
Moved onto Shun Mook GR under some of the components, but that’s a different story all together.
Similar experience here as a user of Symposium platforms and rack. "Sharp and artificial" is a good description when using any metal footer contacting the Symposium shelf or platform. I find my best results are when using carbon fiber or other material in conjunction with the Symposium products.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Magico recommended no footers under their speakers until they suddenly made their own :rolleyes: i view this similarly.

Are you thinking that they did not recommend the use of other people's footers under their speakers? As far as I know, they have always sold their speakers with footers.

I 'm fairly confident a manufacturer of Wilson or Magico caliber will not suggest their product performs better with someone else's product attached to it.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
They were older models.
They made it to sound bright and strident, especially when in contact with a metal chassis.
Not so much under the speakers, but definitely under the amps and preamp

That makes sense. He’s been at it a long time and will admit he has improved greatly over the years.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I 'm fairly confident a manufacturer of Wilson or Magico caliber will not suggest their product performs better with someone else's product attached to it.

go back to the Stillpoints thread a few years ago. Alon was no fan of other footers under his speakers. It was posted by a Magico owner. And having met him numerous times, he’s pretty direct about anything.

Reactions: jeff1225

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Indeed I have. In fact, Star Sound was my mentor back around 2002 - 2003 time frame and for years I used their Audio Points exclusively on my designs. Robert had seen a picture of a prototype racking system I posted in a forum and contacted me, saying I was really onto something with my design and offered a few suggesitons. His lead designer / engineer later called later and said something like, "your design adheres to all of Coulomb's principles on friction. We've taken classes on this and here you just came up with it." Of course I assured him I knew not what I was doing. But hey, that was a long time ago. :)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
$775 per device? With all due respect to Wilson lovers, this is absurd, ridiculous marketing that epitomizes hi end audio price gouging and just reinforces my negative bias towards Wilson.

Reactions: bazelio

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
They will sell a bunch of them. They are already tooled up in the shop and the materials are probably from existing materials inventory. Kind of a no brainer for Wilson to add these to the line up.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225 and carl13

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I looked at the Star Sound website. Wasn't sure if I was looking at torture devices rather than audio platforms. And I'm not even sure how they're supposed to used? Are you supposed to rest the underside of a component on the upward-facing sharp points of the platform?

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I looked at the Star Sound website. Wasn't sure if I was looking at torture devices rather than audio platforms. And I'm not even sure how they're supposed to used? Are you supposed to rest the underside of a component on the upward-facing sharp points of the platform?

ROFL put your leather hood on and lie down:p

Reactions: tima

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
$775 per device? With all due respect to Wilson lovers, this is absurd, ridiculous marketing that epitomizes hi end audio price gouging and just reinforces my negative bias towards Wilson.

No problem, I think Wilson Audio lovers club is not Paradise and they do not expect sinners of negative bias to go in repentance ... ;)

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing