Wilson Alexandria Speaker Cable recommendation

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
One of the things that Roy Gregory advocated while he was at HiFi+ was using the same brand of cable throughout. I'm sure he was not the only one who did so (and I realize both his fondness for Nordost and his eventual involvement in the company itself). I'm a little mystified how a cable could be judged in isolation in it is not part of an overall system using the same cable (or tiers within the same brand).
Granted, you may be able to isolate what a particular cable is doing or not doing to the sound, but is it a fair way to assess the performance of the cable if it is conceived, but not fully implemented as a 'system'?

I still believe that using the same cable throughout is probably beneficial. Even so, I am enjoying great results with just the speaker cable at the moment. Would be nice to think that there will be an even better reward with all Nordost throughout....that's my next upgrade. Amazing how with just the speaker cable, great improvements were to be had.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
yup...one more costly link for me...replace my 3 meter Siltech 770i with a 3-4 meter Valhalla xlr for the main pre to power amp connection.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm a firm believer in using the same cable throughout my system

I think that holds in general but there some instances where the generalization might not hold up. Two are front-end sources. I consider the cable there crucial and often find that there is say one phono or one digital cable that works with all IC and speaker cables.

Now that's not to say that one can't obtain great sound by mixing and matching but sometimes you might be leading yourself down the garden path.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing