Why are the WBF servers so slow?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I like this forum and I like to be here on WBF.

BUT: Why are the WBF servers sometimes so slow in comparison to other audio forums?

For examples: Searches can not be performed and I get error messages, threads do not open and so on, especially today.

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

I like this forum and I like to be here on WBF.

BUT: Why are the WBF servers so slow in comparison to other audio forums?

For examples: Searches can not be performed and I get error messages, threads do not open and so on, especially today.
I have no issues at all and I am down in Terlingua TX for the Holidays.

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
No, issue for me.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...well, from India: cannot open site. Cannot find server. Tried a bazillion times. From iPhone and Windows laptop. Probably a DNS issue of some sort, but clearing cache did not resolve. For a few times, I could get a page link on Slack to resolve. Thought I had a workaround, but next time: nope.

From home (upstate NY) it's often slow in the morning, and sometimes freezes. Only instantiating a new browser will resolve the issue.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Haven't experienced any issues in the almost 2 years I've been on WBF

Reactions: Johan K

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Yep getting the same prob here in UK. Pics especially v slow to load

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
No issues here so far ...

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
I just assumed it was all the adverts they have to load so just the price we pay for the site’s existence.

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
I am looking into this, but it seems inconsistent. It could be time dependant i.e when the bulk of the USA members go on the site. I see no issues for me in the EU zone. The adverts are tiny files, they are not affecting it. I is more the amount of members on the site at once, so a database load / speed subject. I will report back.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yep getting the same prob here in UK. Pics especially v slow to load
Same here...sometimes you get error messages on searches. or the site is very very slow to load.

Reactions: matthias

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
I see the are getting 1.3K 'floater' regularly as opposed to 500, this is good news, but will suck power off the server.

I am asking our service provider for a solution. We are already paying 4 times the cost from 2019. I am convinced it is bandwidth, amount of floater on at one time, and database load. It is NOT the adverts, and not the pics in posts either IMO. It is the amount of traffic we are getting now.

Reactions: John T and matthias

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...you guys will have traffic reports for the analysis, but generally, slowness is a morning east-coast US occurrence for me. Often (50/50?) the latency results in a non-functioning/non-navigable page. I have to close the browser and re-instantiate by entering "whatsbest..." in a new browser/address bar.

This isn't end-of-the-world level frustration, just regular frustration. In the modern world, one wants what one wants, when one wants it. Occasionally, the universe asserts its own interpretation of that desire.

Reactions: John T

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I got this two minutes ago as I wanted to look at the postings of a member:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
A server error occurred. Please try again later.

Edit:
Just I got this as I wanted to go to WBF:

Fatal error: Uncaught XF\Db\Exception: No such file or directory in /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php:165 Stack trace: #0 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(28): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->makeConnection(Array) #1 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(60): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->getConnection() #2 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(113): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->connect() #3 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(516): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->escapeString('options') #4 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(494): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote('options') #5 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(138): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote(Array) #6 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(83): XF\DataRegistry->readFromDb(Array, Array) #7 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(226): XF\DataRegistry->get(Array) #8 /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/App.php(1753): XF\DataRegistry->offsetGet('opti in /home/whatsbes/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php on line 165

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I am sorry to say this but there are ongoing server errors when performing searches.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We are aware of all of this and please stay tuned for an important announcement that will soon solve all of these issues. We ask for your patience as we have been working on this for a month. An announcement will be made in the next day or do. Suffice it to say we are on top of it and a solution is on the way

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing