Who’s up for a $2800 fuse?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
What happens if your house burns down?
Or even worse, someone gets harmed in a fire the missing fuse could cause?
I wouldn't want to live with that burdon on my conscience :eek:
I also think it’s important to not burn your house down Christoph… WAF would be very low :eek:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’ve got WE300Bs coming in for one of my SET amps at $1500 USD for the pair… think they might likely shift my system more than a $2800 USD fuse… the tubes with 5 years warranty included.

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
What happens if your house burns down?
Or even worse, someone gets harmed in a fire the missing fuse could cause?
I wouldn't want to live with that burdon on my conscience :eek:
There are fuses in the mains circuit that will trip if there is a serious issue.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
There are fuses in the mains circuit that will trip if there is a serious issue.
Your insurance company will tell you otherwise :rolleyes:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I’m definitely comfortable with fuses… even short ones :eek: But your logic that a $2800 fuse doesn’t offer much return on investment makes a great case for itself.

I do think a differential circuit breaker is essential and that it’s still easily possible to build an amazing system that won’t kill you and that is not a bad option. Not totally risk averse though but I’ve never found anything other than subtle differences with fuses but certainly not night and day shifts like other upgrades… tbh I’d rather put the money into getting in better drivers or crossover components.
I am comfortable with the idea of a fuse also. I think any tweak that you do is something that helps make your system sound better in totality. I have a ton of tweaks and I can't honestly say one is better that the other. I think we are looking for the ultimate tweak that will make our systems sound incredible. I just don't think that exists.
Even though I love my Viking Acoustic Grande Voix Dual horn speakers, my next tweak will be to upgrade the drivers and crossovers in them. So, we are on the same page.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I am comfortable with the idea of a fuse also. I think any tweak that you do is something that helps make your system sound better in totality. I have a ton of tweaks and I can't honestly say one is better that the other. I think we are looking for the ultimate tweak that will make our systems sound incredible. I just don't think that exists.
Even though I love my Viking Acoustic Grande Voix Dual horn speakers, my next tweak will be to upgrade the drivers and crossovers in them. So, we are on the same page.
In agreement… especially on the horns:)

I am reminded how distant all our worlds are… would love to see your gear, there are some fabulous setups here and your speakers look really interesting… love to get a sneak peak.

Tweaks as system optimising is part of the enjoyment. I’ve broadened my aims and like most have tried a range and do find taking time to evaluate the outcomes is important but also though have found a full suite of outcomes from positive through to negative and from great to very small. I find key in eval is to sit quietly for some time and listen to all kinds of my usual music preferences and live both consciously and also in unfocused ways for the changes to better appreciate them. Definitely having some effective benchmark to assess against and doing both particular as well as holistic assessment is important from my perspective. Also having a budget conscious approach makes things easier in many ways. I find it easier to rule out the things that I can’t afford :eek:

Both accumulative and enmeshed changes can come out of these mods so assessment of them tends be very particular but then needs to be viewed also as in terms of summative evaluation and also reflect holistic outcomes… so for me not just do I prefer them in or out but also how has the implementation changed my experience of music and informed what I also listen to.

I do find investing all these many years trying a range of approaches helps us to zero in the compass and then understand our goals better as well.

Reason says to me though that a fuse designed to end it’s life to protect yours is a good investment. But if it’s primary function is essentially to be a sacrificial component so then making its life ending not be an crazily unaffordable one factors in for sure. Maybe part of the brief on this choice needs to be an area where we have compliance as a main goal along with affordability in operation and reasonable costs in life cycle. So for me I see $2800 to be wildly excessive here… but we are all here for our own learnin. To each their own and may the force (and the music) and the choice be always with us all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingrex

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
In agreement… especially on the horns:)

I am reminded how distant all our worlds are… would love to see your gear, there are some fabulous setups here and your speakers look really interesting… love to get a sneak peak.

Tweaks as system optimising is part of the enjoyment. I’ve broadened my aims and like most have tried a range and do find taking time to evaluate the outcomes is important but also though have found a full suite of outcomes from positive through to negative and from great to very small. I find key in eval is to sit quietly for some time and listen to all kinds of my usual music preferences and live both consciously and also in unfocused ways for the changes to better appreciate them. Definitely having some effective benchmark to assess against and doing both particular as well as holistic assessment is important from my perspective. Also having a budget conscious approach makes things easier in many ways. I find it easier to rule out the things that I can’t afford :eek:

Both accumulative and enmeshed changes can come out of these mods so assessment of them tends be very particular but then needs to be viewed also as in terms of summative evaluation and also reflect holistic outcomes… so for me not just do I prefer them in or out but also how has the implementation changed my experience of music and informed what I also listen to.

I do find investing all these many years trying a range of approaches helps us to zero in the compass and then understand our goals better as well.

Reason says to me though that a fuse designed to end it’s life to protect yours is a good investment. But if it’s primary function is essentially to be a sacrificial component so then making its life ending not be an crazily unaffordable one factors in for sure. Maybe part of the brief on this choice needs to be an area where we have compliance as a main goal along with affordability in operation and reasonable costs in life cycle. So for me I see $2800 to be wildly excessive here… but we are all here for our own learnin. To each their own and may the force (and the music) and the choice be always with us all.
I forgot to mention LOL...the other tweak I am doing is I am in the process of upgrading the tubes in my Canary Grand Reference Mono amps. I will be replacing the Golden Lion 300 tubes with Western Electric 300. I need 16 of them ughhhh and I think I might as well buy two more to try in my Lampi Pacific. I will private email you as for some reason it won't let me show photos of my system.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I forgot to mention LOL...the other tweak I am doing is I am in the process of upgrading the tubes in my Canary Grand Reference Mono amps. I will be replacing the Golden Lion 300 tubes with Western Electric 300. I need 16 of them ughhhh and I think I might as well buy two more to try in my Lampi Pacific. I will private email you as for some reason it won't let me show photos of my system.
Omg twin octets of WE300B, wow, looking forwards to hearing about how it goes.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
So....Just what materials and manufacturing process turns a $150 QS fuse into an $2800 QS fuse ?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So....Just what materials and manufacturing process turns a $150 QS fuse into an $2800 QS fuse ?

The choice of price.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
There are a number of good reports on the QSA fuses and an active thread on Agon with mostly positive reactions.
I am hoping to have a home demo soon but am wondering if anybody on the forum has tried them.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
There are a number of good reports on the QSA fuses and an active thread on Agon with mostly positive reactions.
I am hoping to have a home demo soon but am wondering if anybody on the forum has tried them.
As I stated above I have 4 QSA yellows that replaced SR orange. Better Clarity and more detail. After pasting with 1260 even more improvement.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
As I stated above I have 4 QSA yellows that replaced SR orange. Better Clarity and more detail. After pasting with 1260 even more improvement.
Thank you very much.
That is helpful particularly as I was thinking I would try the yellow ones in my Vitus 030 amp and MD 109 tuner.
Will let you know how it goes

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com

Hi Barry,

I’ve been experimenting with them in my system, so far only tried the 13A mains plug fuses but have also got some internal fuses on the way. To my ears the Light Blue easily beat the SR Orange and was a very decent upgrade. Then the Yellow took things up a notch or two especially in the lower midrange and bass department. Purple is incredibly impressive in a slightly different way but also builds on the Yellow. Just wonderful clarity overall and lower noise floor and new details start to appear in the soundstage. The scary thing is that there are many more levels to try!

Incidentally I also have the “Yellow” QSA double U.K. wall socket here, now that is going to be very interesting!

Cheers,

Guillaume

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi Barry,

I’ve been experimenting with them in my system, so far only tried the 13A mains plug fuses but have also got some internal fuses on the way. To my ears the Light Blue easily beat the SR Orange and was a very decent upgrade. Then the Yellow took things up a notch or two especially in the lower midrange and bass department. Purple is incredibly impressive in a slightly different way but also builds on the Yellow. Just wonderful clarity overall and lower noise floor and new details start to appear in the soundstage. The scary thing is that there are many more levels to try!

Incidentally I also have the “Yellow” QSA double U.K. wall socket here, now that is going to be very interesting!

Cheers,

Guillaume
So are you going to Distribute them here in the UK. Thankyou.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
So are you going to Distribute them here in the UK. Thankyou.

No, unfortunately a good friend of mine beat me to it!

Guillaume

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing