When is the Ultra Wideband Bass System (UBS) available?

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Anyone know?

I want the system for my 20.1.

Thanks

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Probably never. All they do is talk about it and show it. Been doing that for years now.

And I wouldn't want it. Who the heck wants a "subwoofer" that overlaps your mains by 80%?!

I purchased my Maggies because I like the way Maggies sound. I don't want to cover up their sound with a bunch of 7" woofers playing nearly the same exact amount of frequency range as the Maggies and sounding like woofers. Totally defeats the purpose of having Maggies.

Reactions: 3rdRock and Nuforce

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
That's a very valid point re the high crossover, I hadn't considered that.

Maybe I'll just invest in a very high quality sub.

Reactions: Chops

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
That's a very valid point re the high crossover, I hadn't considered that.

Maybe I'll just invest in a very high quality sub.
I'm quite happy with my SVS subs. I have them crossed over at either 37 Hz or 42 Hz. Can't remember right off hand, but it's low, and my 1.7i's play fullrange. They have no issues at all keeping up with the Maggies.

3rdRock

Sep 11, 2018
Nashville, TN
Probably never. All they do is talk about it and show it. Been doing that for years now.

And I wouldn't want it. Who the heck wants a "subwoofer" that overlaps your mains by 80%?!

I purchased my Maggies because I like the way Maggies sound. I don't want to cover up their sound with a bunch of 7" woofers playing nearly the same exact amount of frequency range as the Maggies and sounding like woofers. Totally defeats the purpose of having Maggies.
Exactly!!! I reached the same conclusion regarding the Maggie 'bass solution' and purchased a pair of REL Carbon Subs to go with my Maggie 20.7's. Oh Man... a match made in heaven!
Do not try to add bass (or anything) to what's coming from the panels. Do not try to 'blend' the subs with what the panel is already producing. (A lot of people are never happy with subs and Maggie's because they make this mistake.)
Simply set the sub XOver low enough that it only extends into the lowest octave that the Maggie's don't touch! And for optimum performance with Maggie's, rather than placing the subs in the room corners behind the subs (as REL and other Sub manufacturers often recommend), move them into the same plane (or slightly forward to compensate for time alignment), and adjacent to the Maggie bass panel. That's how you 'blend' panels with cones!

Reactions: Chops

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
What is your 20.7 crossover point?

I use 20.1 which are almost identical. I'd assume something around 28?

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
What is your 20.7 crossover point?

I use 20.1 which are almost identical. I'd assume something around 28?
From what it sounds like, 3rdRock leaves his Maggies playing fullrange just as I do.

You want to bring the subwoofers in where the Maggies fall off. In my case, my 1.7i's drop off right below 40 Hz. And I just checked and my subs are crossed over at 37 Hz @ 24 dB. They are placed just 6 inches behind the Maggies and just about against the side walls.

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
Exactly!!! I reached the same conclusion regarding the Maggie 'bass solution' and purchased a pair of REL Carbon Subs to go with my Maggie 20.7's. Oh Man... a match made in heaven!
Do not try to add bass (or anything) to what's coming from the panels. Do not try to 'blend' the subs with what the panel is already producing. (A lot of people are never happy with subs and Maggie's because they make this mistake.)
Simply set the sub XOver low enough that it only extends into the lowest octave that the Maggie's don't touch! And for optimum performance with Maggie's, rather than placing the subs in the room corners behind the subs (as REL and other Sub manufacturers often recommend), move them into the same plane (or slightly forward to compensate for time alignment), and adjacent to the Maggie bass panel. That's how you 'blend' panels with cones!
I absolutely agree with this based on my experience. You want to set the crossover very low.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing