When do you stop upgrading?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I must confess that I get bored with my main system if I don't change it. There's nothing wrong with the sound...in fact, it's the best sound I've had in over 50 years. But for me, the fun is in changing things up and seeing what happens. When you make changes that after a while you realize might a step back, well, that is the time when things might better be left alone. Case in point, I acquired another identical amp and ran them in bridged mono. While some things changed for the better, it took me a while to realize that the sound from the stereo amp was purer and more musical. The second amp is now gone. In its place, I acquired a second phono preamp I did not really need. I am playing around and tweaking this. It might not be an upgrade in terms of absolute terms of sound quality but it has kept me more engaged in listening to my system. That's what it's all about for me.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I can upgrade or sidegrade ;) easily with tube rolling.

That is the reason that I have good inventories of NOS tubes and use only tube amp with possibility of tube rolliing.

One famous tube amp called Lamm use rather unknown Russian tubes that bar tube rolling which I am not interested in at all.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Only been in this hobby now for 10 years but I get the impression there are "upgrades" and "changes."

For me I've 'upgraded' through the line of the manufacturer I like (Naim). I'm pretty much at the top of their line now. They'll likely have a new line somewhat soon. Or I could decide to 'change' and consider a different brand altogether.

Im sure few look to not 'upgrade' even when 'changing' but I think that it's more of a search for a 'different' sound in some cases (?)

Change can be a major upgrade in terms of sound quality and enjoyment. There are so many different approaches in this hobby. Some lead to different and some lead to better.

Reactions: Bartolo

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have excellent components, speaker positioning, room acoustics and electric power. Took me years , patience , sleepless nights , tweaking and $$$$$$ .My system now sounds natural, nothing irritates me, and it’s a pleasure. Sounds natural. That’s the key.

In my opinion, you have the right criteria for assessment. Natural Sound.

Reactions: No Regrets

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I can upgrade or sidegrade ;) easily with tube rolling.

That is the reason that I have good inventories of NOS tubes and use only tube amp with possibility of tube rolliing.

One famous tube amp called Lamm use rather unknown Russian tubes that bar tube rolling which I am not interested in at all.

I understand this, but have you ever heard a Lamm SET amplifier driving horns? I would be very curious to know what you think of the sound.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
More changing than upgrading since sometime ago ... ;)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I understand this, but have you ever heard a Lamm SET amplifier driving horns? I would be very curious do you know what you think of the sound.
i am pretty sure that Silbatone 300b fitted WE 300b made in 1940's sound better with horn than Lamm.

You had better try out Silbatone amp before realizing what I mean.

After I get my Silbatone repaired next year, I will use it to drive treble horn of Altec A7.

Above video is the sound out of Altec driven by Silbatone before it go out of order.

It gives pristine sound with nuanced details.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
i am pretty sure that Silbatone 300b fitted WE 300b made in 1940's sound better with horn than Lamm.

You had better try out Silbatone amp before realizing what I mean.

After I get my Silbatone repaired next year, I will use it to drive treble horn of Altec A7.

Above video is the sound out of Altec driven by Silbatone before it go out of order.

It gives pristine sound with nuanced details.

I was simply curious if you’ve heard one. I’m not suggesting any change or disagreeing with your decision. “Pretty sure” is often good enough.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
In terms of core components of my system, I am done. I will always be a monitor/subwoofer guy. The chances that this changes are slim, barring some unlikely revelation (I know, Bonzo assumes there will be one and his opinions will be vindicated, hehe).

Every system has its compromises, its sum of strengths and weaknesses. While I have heard all kinds of speakers and systems, some on a regular basis over the past few years, I am very happy with what my system approach in general and my system in particular offers, for my room and my own personal tastes. It would be very hard and expensive to achieve significant improvements with another system approach without having to give up any of the strengths that I cherish from my current system.

I am all set, within the budget that I have, with my main components -- electronics and speakers. Improvements to the acoustics of my room and to my set-up, including speaker positioning, become more and more incremental (and those cost little to nothing anyway).

Upgrades now happen at the periphery, as it were, even though this can still yield substantial improvements. The latest is better power chords (ZenWave Audio) which are shipped and should arrive shortly, manufactured by WBF member DaveC (with this, all my cables now will be ZenWave, signal and power, except the digital cables).

The next thing sometime in the future are probably HRS racks/platforms. Based on what I have heard in another system, this could yield yet another significant improvement -- again, with my existing components. But this is not within my current budget.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Funny @PeterA was just told to try amp B by someone who never tried and disregard his earlier suggestion to try amp A. o_O When my kids can read I will have them join this forum just to learn human side of things.

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Funny @PeterA was just told to try amp B by someone who never tried and disregard his earlier suggestion to try amp A. o_O When my kids can read I will have them join this forum just to learn human side of things.

Tang, you might want to get them started just reading your account and threads that you point them to. You don’t want them to get lost in and addicted to all of this foolishness. Bonzo might call child services on you.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Here’s another way to look at this:

I have a famous tube amp called Lamm which uses rather unknown Russian tubes. It bars tube rolling which I am not interested in at all.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Here’s another way to look at this:

I have a famous tube amp called Lamm which uses rather unknown Russian tubes. It bars tube rolling which I am not interested in at all.

This is your first tube amp, why would you even make such a conclusion so soon? For the sake of expressing your side strongly on a forum? This should go into Tang's manual to teach his kids human side of things

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is your first tube amp, why would you even make such a conclusion so soon? For the sake of expressing your side strongly on a forum? This should go into Tang's manual to teach his kids human side of things

Yes it is. But I’ve heard many tube amps in other systems. Just last weekend the mighty VTL 450. And last night an Octave.

I have not yet gotten bitten by the tube rolling bug. Let me know when you get your system. It will be fun to watch you switching gears.

There is not much to learn for Tang’s Children. One guy wants to tube roll and another guy doesn’t. No life lessons there I’m afraid.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have not yet gotten bitten by the tube rolling bug. Let me know when you get your system. It will be fun to watch you switching gears.

I won't. I don't have endless money to switch gears therefore better not start, don't won't to be stuck like you with a compromised one

Ps: you don't know enough whether to tube roll or not tube

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I won't. I don't have endless money to switch gears therefore better not start, don't won't to be stuck like you with a compromised one

Ps: you don't know enough whether to tube roll or not tube

That’s your choice. All systems are compromised. I’d rather be stuck with a compromised system than no system at all.

Ps: I know enough from watching others and reading about tube rolling to know that I’m not interested in pursuing that right now. Obviously Thomask is interested in tube rolling which eliminated Lamm SET amps from his consideration. I have a friend in the Boston area who buys his equipment specifically so that he can modify it. At least that’s what he told me about his Martin Logan speakers and VPI turntable. Nothing wrong with any of these approaches.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That’s your choice. All systems are compromised. I’d rather be stuck with a compromised system than no system at all.

Well said.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing