What's Spinning Tonight?

Julian Cope – Peggy Suicide - original UK pressing

y4kRo32.jpg
I really like "Beautiful Love." The stuff with the Teardrop Explodes is really terrific, too. Also, his Fire Escape in the Sky: The Godlike Genius of Scott Walker is a great collection of Walker's stuff.

Reactions: XV-1
In honor of World Piano Day March 29 the 88th day of the year I've spun some old personal favorites:

Nicky Hopkins- Quicksilver's Edward the Mad Shirt Grinder
Cory Lerios- Pablo Cruise's Ocean Breeze
Keith Emerson- ELP's Take a Pebble
Bill Evans- Waltz for Debbie
Oscar Peterson- I've Got a Crush on You (Exclusively for My Friends vol. 1)
Duke Ellington- Cotton Tail (The Duke's Big Four)
Actually I couldn't take the Duke off still listening to the rest of it

• Love
Reactions: Johan K
Rüfüs Du Sol – Surrender - 2LP on stupid red coloured vinyl. Chris Bellman generally awlays does great mastering for vinyl and this sounds v good, but it's cut so low you really have to pump the gain up to get dynamics and punch. There is not one side that goes for more than 15 minutes, so he had the opportunity to cut this a lot hotter and it rather than sounding v good it would have sounded INCREDIBLE.

2JL07Bj.jpg

• Wow
“The producer Tony [Buchen] has described it stylistically as 'cosmic Americana', and I’m really happy with that description because it marries up to really big musical loves of mine which are that Americana/acoustic/folk tradition and country music, but also I love electronic music and I’m a daughter of the ‘80s so I do love synthesisers and krautrock and a lot of that stuff as well, so I think genre-wise maybe that is what it is.”
Article Link

I might be :eek: @XV-1 just a little for not posting this local(ized)self release. That beyond all belief instantly sold out on CD leaving plentiful amounts of LP* available. ;););)

Teasing aside, this one is pretty widely available on digital to anyone internationally. So I decided to post it here knowing posting it (the LP) internationally will be onerous to many.

AB_8.jpg

*Caveat emptor. Variations within the production/cutting process forwarded in his most recent post did strike me as potential foreshadowing not strong enough to avoid recruiting a well placed test subject.

• Love
rando,

Did not express myself clearly enough…
It was not a great album… - It was an OUTSTANDING album!!!

Thank you again rando:D!!

All the best

/ Jk

• Love
Reactions: rando
I haven't had the time to listen to this one yet, but I'm excited to try it out. What do you think about the new album?

Sorry for the late reply. A lot has been going on this week for me, including a new job.

This new album has a lot of the "vibe" of their older material from the mid to late 80's. Even a hint of "Violator" in there as well.

As Johan K said, it's a great album. Considering that it sort of has some meaning behind Andrew Fletcher's passing, as well as what my family and I are going through right now with our father (in hospice), listening to this album has been a bit emotional for me. It hit me really hard with the last track on the album, "Speak To Me". I literally started crying...

I hope you've found the time to give it a listen.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: rando and Johan K
Article Link

I might be :eek: @XV-1 just a little for not posting this local(ized)self release. That beyond all belief instantly sold out on CD leaving plentiful amounts of LP* available. ;););)

Teasing aside, this one is pretty widely available on digital to anyone internationally. So I decided to post it here knowing posting it (the LP) internationally will be onerous to many.

View attachment 106899

*Caveat emptor. Variations within the production/cutting process forwarded in his most recent post did strike me as potential foreshadowing not strong enough to avoid recruiting a well placed test subject.

My vinyl copy is still in transit - should be here late next week I hope. Yea, Amanda was surprised the 25 copies of the CD sold out so quickly. :p There are a few copies of the vinyl left from the pressing run of 1000 . be quick to order from Bandcamp.

BTW, the album sounds like later day Lisa Marie Presley. Speaking of Amanda's old band, the Go-Betweens - new album from Robert Forster is excellent. check it out.

• Love
Reactions: rando and Johan K
Depeche Mode – Memento Mori - arrived a few days ago. sonically it sounds good but a little overproduced, but certainly better than spotify in the car.
Long time Depeche fan from the very beginning and for me this really is Depeche by numbers. Nothing new, no longer do they have inventive keyboard sounds and frankly the album sounds like many tracks from previous post SOFAD albums. I still like it thou - it's just new Depeche releases are no longer mind blowing to discover and to listen to.

My vinyl copy is still in transit - should be here late next week I hope. Yea, Amanda was surprised the 25 copies of the CD sold out so quickly. :p There are a few copies of the vinyl left from the pressing run of 1000 . be quick to order from Bandcamp.

Best getting two quiet sides after I tripled your rotation through albums that get posted here.

25:1000 is rather hilarious.

@rando If you want to enjoy some more Aussie chick music, check this out.

Jen Cloher – I Am The River, The River Is Me - wonderful new album from the South Australia Jen.

izNRPfD.jpg

Is she local to you too? :p

Just put this on for a minute. Same with the Forster album. Will listen through them later tonight when things settle down, thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1
Best getting two quiet sides after I tripled your rotation through albums that get posted here.

25:1000 is rather hilarious.

Is she local to you too? :p

Just put this on for a minute. Same with the Forster album. Will listen through them later tonight when things settle down, thanks.

Yea, I have seen her live at a local pub. Tall chick with a great stage presence live and a wicked sense of humour.

• Haha
MC Solaar – Prose Combat - anytime a French person speaks or sings, it's just sexier than any other language - even rap sounds luscious. original 1994 UK pressing - this was reissued a couple of years ago.

FvXkrek.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing