What's Best Musical Quote?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I am tired of the same old debates and bickering. Here's something maybe we can all contribute to:

What is your favorite audio/music saying?

I was going to throw out a couple of Klipsch or Carver quotes, but instead my sig line is my favorite... What's yours?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"A painter paints his pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. We provide the music, and you provide the silence."

Leopold Stokowski

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Gary -- Of course! The more the merrier. There are some great quotes here! Here are some that I have used now and then, some only quasi-music-related (the practice quote I use with my trumpet students):

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

"Practice doesn't necessarily make perfect, practice makes permanent." - Charles Hughes

Warner's First Law of Talent: "Just because you can do it doesn't mean you can do it for a living."

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." - Benjamin Disraeli

"Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem." - Woody Allen

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road ahead." - Henry Ford

"You don't have to put out another's candle to make your own shine brighter." - William Adam

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Friedrich Nietzsche “Without music, life would be a mistake" - but I feel like the guy who says that La Gioconda is his preferred painting :eek:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary -- Of course! The more the merrier. There are some great quotes here! Here are some that I have used now and then, some only quasi-music-related (the practice quote I use with my trumpet students):

Here are a few more (besides those first two) that I live by - not necessarily music related:

"You don't get to choose how you are going to die. Or when. You only get to choose how you are going to live. Now."
Joan Baez

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen but thinking what nobody has thought."
Albert Szent-Gyorgi

"Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best."
Frank Zappa

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hey Rich,

Ansel is cool -- what makes you think only you three can relate to photographic examples? I did OK in the Nikon contest, many moons ago (still have the print; not sure about the negative). I bet a bunch of WBF folk are into pretty pictures (another expensive hooby for which I have no time!)

This is one thread that was designed to go off-track, with gusto and feeling!

Back to the quotes - Don

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
"Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem." - Woody Allen

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road ahead." - Henry Ford
Those two are an excellent balanced pair to have in your back pocket ...

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen but thinking what nobody has thought."
When I've got a chance I might tattoo this on a couple of people's heads ...

Frank

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Not sure they qualify as 'the best' quotes, but having recently read "Life", I'll offer a couple of gems from Keef:

I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police.

The only things Mick and I disagree about is the band, the music and what we do.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hey Rich,

Ansel is cool -- what makes you think only you three can relate to photographic examples? I did OK in the Nikon contest, many moons ago (still have the print; not sure about the negative). I bet a bunch of WBF folk are into pretty pictures (another expensive hooby for which I have no time!)

This is one thread that was designed to go off-track, with gusto and feeling!

Back to the quotes - Don

Sorry Don,

I said particularly to people such as Amir, Steve, and myself; it was not intended to be interpreted or suggested that we were the only three. :D

Rich

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing