What unknown ( to you) artist’s music just blew you away

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I can't really say this example will be easy to defend...yet over the decades I had many moments of intrigue with the band The Legendary Pink Dots. They evolved and changed so often and always interesting live. Not to mention involvement of Ryan Moore famous in dub scene for Twilight Circus...

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Michelle Kwan was favored to win the Gold Medal in the 2002 Winter Olympics Ladies Figure Skating, but she came away with the Bronze in her last Olympic appearance. At the close of the competition, there was an exhibition featuring the medalists. Ms. Kwan skated to "Fields of Gold" sung by Eva Cassidy, who had tragically succumbed to cancer six years prior at age 33. This was surely an epic bittersweet moment and my first exposure to Eva Cassidy's remarkable talent. Sting wrote and popularized the song, but upon hearing Eva perform it, said her version stood alone.

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
somehow I never heard of Deine Lakaien despite being the right age and inclination.

@DasguteOhr is there a standout album in terms of music content and recording quality?
Alexander Veljanov solo - secrets of the silver tongue LP
Deine Laikaien-Acoustic LP only his voice with piano
Or Deine Laikaien -Kasmodiah LP
I would recommend you to start with these three albums, musically the older Dark Star album at the beginning of the 90s are also really good

Reactions: Muser

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
View attachment 87007

At the dawn of an ordinary Sunday
I remember the taste of you, sweet in my mouth

Late in the year

And in the stillness of the Oriental rainfall
I remember the warmth of you, still in my arms

Late, late in the year

I can bring to you flowers in the night
Soft as my trembling fingers touching ... love
I can offer you wine and candlelight
If only my aching fingers clutching ... love

Late in the year
Late in the year . .. ...

Love Song for the Dead Che ~
Michael: What is the image from? I looked up "The United States of America" (the group) but did not see this image associate with them. I'm curious.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Rarely do I get something on spec from, for me, a totally unknown artist and think, wow every track on side 1 is a hit and there’s six tracks there!

It happened though when I first heard Caravan Palaces Chronologica lp. Simply stunning. It’s their second lp I think. ( I then got their first which wasn’t nearly as good) I’d never heard of them till I put the record on the TT and gave it a spin.

Lionel Hampton meets electronica/vintage-modern dance/pop. Yes really.

I pulled it out tonight and it still screams MASSIVE, why are these people not huge. Why is nobody talking about Caravan Palace. Who screwed up their career? Or have I just lost it in the hit record stakes?

What’s been your astonishing ‘find’?
Well, that list can be fairly endless I suspect. I generally encounter new artists when I go on a small collecting spree of a certain genre. Maybe it's pursuing instrumental, celtic, or a particular recording label. One of my favorites is early Windham Hill recordings and there are a number of incredible artists therein.

In this case, when collecting some instrumental music maybe 10 years ago, I encountered some David Arkenstone recordings. Pretty incredible stuff I think. One such track, not shown here, is one of my primary references when attemping to discern potential system improvements and have probably listened to at least portions of it maybe 1000 times.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Michelle Kwan was favored to win the Gold Medal in the 2002 Winter Olympics Ladies Figure Skating, but she came away with the Bronze in her last Olympic appearance. At the close of the competition, there was an exhibition featuring the medalists. Ms. Kwan skated to "Fields of Gold" sung by Eva Cassidy, who had tragically succumbed to cancer six years prior at age 33. This was surely an epic bittersweet moment and my first exposure to Eva Cassidy's remarkable talent. Sting wrote and popularized the song, but upon hearing Eva perform it, said her version stood alone.

Nice choice. That reminds me of this piece by Michelle Kwan when she skated to an unknown artist (to me) Lorenna McKennitt and I had to buy McKennitt's CD containing Dante's Prayer - beautiful piece.

My wife was Michelle's 2nd grade teacher in Palos Verdes, CA and she used to routinely supply my wife with videos of her practice skating. I had the chance to meet Michelle after several of her performances around the country when in her late teens. A beautiful performer - always so elegant and graceful.

Reactions: GSOphile

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Yosi Horikawa. He's like Pink Floyd on drugs that make the ones PF was on seem like aspirin (hard to imagine). The first two songs on the album Vapor and "Bubbles" are among the ones that will give you a taste of "definitely different" music.

Tom

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
Many moons ago an acquaintance had a pair of tickets he wouldn't be able to use. Fourth row, dead center at the Boston Garden.
The group was Pink Floyd. I had heard of them but had never heard their music. I bought the tickets because he was so bummed he couldn't attend. Wife and I went the next evening.
It was the Dark Side of The Moon Tour.
We were BLOWN away.....

Last edited:

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Michael: What is the image from? I looked up "The United States of America" (the group) but did not see this image associate with them. I'm curious.
Sorry, here is the cover for the album :
1640737966139.png

1640738391565.png

The original album released in 1968 in the USA was Columbia CS 9614
Make sure you get a Stereo copy over the later Mono versions out there.

Sundazed Music 11124 LP & Esoteric Recordings ECLEC 2449 (UK pressing)
sound superior.. This recording needs to be heard in stereo with it's
effects in full glory . . .. .

Thanks for your kind interest .

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
The song Looking for a Home" by Keith Greeninger recorded by Blue Coast Records BCRSA1012c.
This is a cd recording.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Her music is subtle.so the term blown away may be overkill.
:Cecile Salvant
WOMAN CHILD

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jacintha
Danny Boy
Available on Tidal

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Morgan Wade’s debut was my favorite album of 2021

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Loving the clips you shared! They are new to me and would love to get them on vinyl.
Would you mind sharing which of their albums are your favorites, both music and sound wise?

Thank you in advance!
Don
Hi! Sorry for the late reply...did not see this til just now. We own:
- Self Made Man
- Reskinned
- Peach
- Venom & Faith

I think Self Made and Venom are our favoriate...none is bad though! Very unusual for a band! Enjoy!

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing