What unknown ( to you) artist’s music just blew you away

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Rarely do I get something on spec from, for me, a totally unknown artist and think, wow every track on side 1 is a hit and there’s six tracks there!

It happened though when I first heard Caravan Palaces Chronologica lp. Simply stunning. It’s their second lp I think. ( I then got their first which wasn’t nearly as good) I’d never heard of them till I put the record on the TT and gave it a spin.

Lionel Hampton meets electronica/vintage-modern dance/pop. Yes really.

I pulled it out tonight and it still screams MASSIVE, why are these people not huge. Why is nobody talking about Caravan Palace. Who screwed up their career? Or have I just lost it in the hit record stakes?

What’s been your astonishing ‘find’?

Reactions: Michael Davitt

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
The two bands/albums that fit into the somewhat recent discovery category for me that I found out about while browsing around Qobuzz are these two below. Listened to the albums once while streaming them and decided that I had to buy them right away.

Interestingly enough, they both contain the same word "Church" in the band name but both bands sit at a very different location in the musical genre spectrum. Nonetheless, I enjoy listening to them just the same.

Reactions: Cableman

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
There are many...

A few years ago I went to a concert on a whim and heard Mdou Moctar. Hypnotic Touareg vibes with a Hendrix touch. Was really something. Even my wife dug it and she hates 'screechy guitar'. We went backstage and hugged him :)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Never heard of this Australian band until this month. Their 8th release is one of my favorite 2021 LPs

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Stray cats. This group was unknown to me until I heard it at my friends house and it blew me away.great beat and music.I love this group.
Stray Cats are great, especially mister Brian Setzer, You might also enjoy Danny Gatton check out "Cruisin Deuces" ~

Rarely do I get something on spec from, for me, a totally unknown artist and think, wow every track on side 1 is a hit and there’s six tracks there!

It happened though when I first heard Caravan Palaces Chronologica lp. Simply stunning. It’s their second lp I think. ( I then got their first which wasn’t nearly as good) I’d never heard of them till I put the record on the TT and gave it a spin.

Lionel Hampton meets electronica/vintage-modern dance/pop. Yes really.

I pulled it out tonight and it still screams MASSIVE, why are these people not huge. Why is nobody talking about Caravan Palace. Who screwed up their career? Or have I just lost it in the hit record stakes?

What’s been your astonishing ‘find’?
Out of nowhere, pinned to my consciousness now . . . .Watchhouse (formerly known as Mandolin Orange) being "at once almost familiar and yet with the most mysterious aspect of detailed insight into the human condition... Are these old souls reborn into a married couple with tales to tell ? Incredible harmony, peerless song writing .

Golden Embers​

Just like an old friend, kinder than expected
That Cadillac came and gave our girl a ride
Loss has no end, it binds to our connection
We don't speak of it, we don't even try

If you could help me to share the trouble
But you've got burned and then you, then you can help me
And in our time together, her memory will ever
Shine like golden embers in the night

I miss the old hymns when she used to sing
The sparrows spread their mortal wings
Now they've all lighted with the silence of strings
Like notes on the pages, she breathed life into all things

If you could help me to share the trouble

Just like an old friend, reach out to me
Bathe me in the light of understanding
Try to help me to share the trouble

Listen / Hear ~

1640329250561.png

Attachments

• 1640328091427.png
    1640328091427.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
that a musician dream, you sit in the subway in paris and play your song, the next day you get a record deal. his lyrics and music are art for me.
Benjamin Clementine-at least for now(lp)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great thread. Gutsy American blues with attitude. Larkin Poe.

1640396784071.png

1640396803357.png

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here is Larkin Poe covering Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

Reactions: unboxed

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The two bands/albums that fit into the somewhat recent discovery category for me that I found out about while browsing around Qobuzz are these two below. Listened to the albums once while streaming them and decided that I had to buy them right away.

Interestingly enough, they both contain the same word "Church" in the band name but both bands sit at a very different location in the musical genre spectrum. Nonetheless, I enjoy listening to them just the same.

I saw The Church play live last weekend. They were playing their singles from 1980 - 1990.
Great band, seen them many times over the years

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Hadouk Trio- Live a Fip

Reactions: Muser

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Hans Theessink

Reactions: No Regrets

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Five Finger Death Punch. Here’s one example.

0DDEDF6B-0248-4D90-B72D-95F63545E4C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Veljanov aka (deine Lakaien band )give goosebumps every time i listen such a so deep voice.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
1640475245838.png

At the dawn of an ordinary Sunday
I remember the taste of you, sweet in my mouth

Late in the year

And in the stillness of the Oriental rainfall
I remember the warmth of you, still in my arms

Late, late in the year

I can bring to you flowers in the night
Soft as my trembling fingers touching ... love
I can offer you wine and candlelight
If only my aching fingers clutching ... love

Late in the year
Late in the year . .. ...

Love Song for the Dead Che ~

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Veljanov aka (deine Lakaien band )give goosebumps every time i listen such a so deep voice.

somehow I never heard of Deine Lakaien despite being the right age and inclination.

@DasguteOhr is there a standout album in terms of music content and recording quality?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing