What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I also heard good things about the Lenco tonearm, hence my previous question :)

The most common lenco turntable is the L75. They were sold in crazy numbers. The tonearm that it comes with is generally not considered something special and most people replace them. If you replace the v-blocks in the bearing I think its quite ok, though. Some people pimp them quite extensively.

The earlier, and somewhat rarer, spring suspended L70 arm is quite a different animal though. Bbc used to use it with the garrard 301. Thats the one I like. Particularly good with the denon 103 and robust mm’s. Some people also use them with spu’s.

I also own one of the very rare and technically sophisticated P77 tonearms. It is dynamically balanced in all dimensions and it was quite expensive from new. Some hardcore lencoholics rave about it. Personally, im a bit underwhelmed.

Picture from my lenco stash. P77 tonearm in the foreground. L75 and L70 in the background.

0EEF9E25-FF03-4C96-972F-13957CB05FB1.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Interesting! I wish I still had my Super Gold. Maybe I'll pick up something used... that could be a satisfying setup while I wait.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Well Tempered Simplex 2. Temporary table... just arrived because I hate digital. Sounds pretty dang good for $1000 used. 4-5 more weeks until my 401/Schroeder CB gets here. The waiting is really hard but this is a fun listen.

View attachment 98191
That's one loooong record spindle you have there lol :D

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
My current Stable Mates....
Cheers.....

Attachments

• 20220922_132409.jpg
    20220922_132409.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220922_132424.jpg
    20220922_132424.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220922_132543.jpg
    20220922_132543.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220922_132555.jpg
    20220922_132555.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 95

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Huh. That's the Amari Micro-Seiki tribute, isn't it? Is yours modded? How do you like it?
Yes, it’s a Micro Seiki 8000 clone. After some initial problems , due to some quality control issues, that Peter Noerbaek of PBN AUDIO, helped me sort out, it’s definitely a Huge Bang for the buck ( approximately 5500.00 delivered to US for the “Blue” version). The standard silver is less expensive.
The only mods are some custom footers, and Walker Lead pucks, along with a solid 2 inch thick acrylic sub base for the motor to sit on. Definitely changed the sound in a direction that I found to be beneficial.
Cheers....

Reactions: wbass

tom539

Dec 28, 2021
Reactions: No Regrets

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Yes, it’s a Micro Seiki 8000 clone. After some initial problems , due to some quality control issues, that Peter Noerbaek of PBN AUDIO, helped me sort out, it’s definitely a Huge Bang for the buck ( approximately 5500.00 delivered to US for the “Blue” version). The standard silver is less expensive.
The only mods are some custom footers, and Walker Lead pucks, along with a solid 2 inch thick acrylic sub base for the motor to sit on. Definitely changed the sound in a direction that I found to be beneficial.
Cheers....
Very interesting. Apparently Acoustical Systems does (or did) a series of mods to the Amari:

What were the QC issues you encountered? Is there space to add a second tonearm on the top left? Looks like there is, but that armboard/wing, which makes sense for arm stability, also seems to take up a lot of real estate.

Speed control is solid?

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Very interesting. Apparently Acoustical Systems does (or did) a series of mods to the Amari:

What were the QC issues you encountered? Is there space to add a second tonearm on the top left? Looks like there is, but that armboard/wing, which makes sense for arm stability, also seems to take up a lot of real estate.

Speed control is solid?
The motor died on me after 2 days . Apparently something went out on the Control Circuit Board.
Fortunately I had another, older less expensive Amari table that uses the exact internal Circuit board, ( with a few minor lay out differences).

Peter at PBN AUDIO was able to swap it out. Unfortunately when you buy from China, you are taking a gamble. I have been in correspondence with the exporter and have yet to hear when they will have Amari send me a replacement Circuit board.
The table runs quietly and maintains very stable speed. Usually runs at 33.333, up to 33.355
There are two other available possible arm posts.
There are after 20220920_155434.jpg market arm boards available, and some even from Micro Seiki ( original metal arm platforms).
Cheers... 20220920_161757.jpg

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy and wbass

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
The motor died on me after 2 days . Apparently something went out on the Control Circuit Board.
Fortunately I had another, older less expensive Amari table that uses the exact internal Circuit board, ( with a few minor lay out differences).

Peter at PBN AUDIO was able to swap it out. Unfortunately when you buy from China, you are taking a gamble. I have been in correspondence with the exporter and have yet to hear when they will have Amari send me a replacement Circuit board.
The table runs quietly and maintains very stable speed. Usually runs at 33.333, up to 33.355
There are two other available possible arm posts.
There are after View attachment 98250 market arm boards available, and some even from Micro Seiki ( original metal arm platforms).
Cheers... View attachment 98251
I've been looking at the Amari too but couldn't pull the trigger because I've heard about some issues but maybe I should have. That's a gorgeous table.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK

Speed control is solid?
I was going to buy one of the Acoustical Systems ones in Dec 2020. Arranged top go to London to pick up (during Covid so had to be careful etc) but the day before they cancelled as the speed had gone wrong on it. They emailed a week or 2 later to say it started working properly...I decided to give it a miss.

I suspect the controller needs some work on it. I was surprised as I understood Acoustical Systems had done work on the PSU/controller, so expected it to be above the usual Chinese work.
Anyway, no regrets on my part as I suspect once a problem, always a problem. My Japanese DD's which are 40plus years old seem to carry on.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I was going to buy one of the Acoustical Systems ones in Dec 2020. Arranged top go to London to pick up (during Covid so had to be careful etc) but the day before they cancelled as the speed had gone wrong on it. They emailed a week or 2 later to say it started working properly...I decided to give it a miss.

I suspect the controller needs some work on it. I was surprised as I understood Acoustical Systems had done work on the PSU/controller, so expected it to be above the usual Chinese work.
Anyway, no regrets on my part as I suspect once a problem, always a problem. My Japanese DD's which are 40plus years old seem to carry on.
Who was the dealer you were working with in London, out of curiosity?

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Who was the dealer you were working with in London, out of curiosity?
HMF Solutions. I got the impression they didn't really know much about it. I asked questions about arm mounting, belts, arm boards and compatibly with MS ones. I suspect they just imported them on the basis of Acoustical Systems name.
The concern I had was to do with serviceability and who would do it, Amari, Acoustical Systems (as it was a unit they had tweaked) or just a regular audio service company.
Not like buying SME, Technics etc where you know there is support.

108CY

May 4, 2013
HMF Solutions. I got the impression they didn't really know much about it. I asked questions about arm mounting, belts, arm boards and compatibly with MS ones. I suspect they just imported them on the basis of Acoustical Systems name.
The concern I had was to do with serviceability and who would do it, Amari, Acoustical Systems (as it was a unit they had tweaked) or just a regular audio service company.
Not like buying SME, Technics etc where you know there is support.

Derek who is the man behind HMF is true a vetren of the uk audio game one of the first to work very closely with Ricardo and highly knowledgable so am truly supprised. Derek was one of the first truly high end dealers back in the day the first to purchase the likes of counterpoint air tangent krill apogee goldmund etc. I know it all seems normal now but not at that Time when a goldmund reference was the same price of a house in north London lol. Together with the with me he was thehan first to invest in a rockport turntable which was more than a house in London nw2 in 1995.

At least they did the correct thing and tested it prior to you purchasing it and sorted it out, how many times in my 35 years have I seen good just sent out.

Last edited:

MaccaAu

Oct 3, 2022
Technics SL-5210 (quartz lock) MP110
Technics SL-D2 (rough looking but works perfectly) MP110
Technics SL-D212 ( did its tone arm wiring) - Empire 2000E cart
HMV (based on old BSR) record player (was my Grandmas so sentimental value) - did its internal wiring

(have to amend my post later with images)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing