What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I have a NOS vintage Ortofon SL-15 with transformer on it. It is superb. I have described the sound in my system thread.

Couldn’t agree more, I use the Ortofon SL-15E MC with an Ortofon STM-72 SPU Moving Coil Step-Up transformer on a Dr. Robert Fuchs magnetic bearing arm on my latest turntable with great results.

Reactions: PeterA

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I have a NOS vintage Ortofon SL-15 with transformer on it. It is superb. I have described the sound in my system thread.
This one ? Great cart cNzShhDh.jpg

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Make some „Arrangements“ over the weekend…

View attachment 97334

View attachment 97336

View attachment 97335

The Classic GME MKII moved from FR64s to the Sorane TA-1 (with T-550 SUT from Phasemation).

On the FR64s now playing:
Benz Ruby Z, Yamamoto HS-4 and HMS Armonia phono-cable. 1 KOhm configured on the phono-pre from AudioSpecials.

atb, Tom
Hi Tom,

Great looking system you've got there! I'm curious how you like your Benz Ruby Z compared to your other cartridges? Any comparisons you could share would be most appreciated :)

Best wishes,
Don

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Reactions: shakti

tom539

Dec 28, 2021
Hi Tom,

Great looking system you've got there! I'm curious how you like your Benz Ruby Z compared to your other cartridges? Any comparisons you could share would be most appreciated :)

Best wishes,
Don
Hello Don,

I had written this at the time when I had the Benz initially on loan as a guest - has then remained...

I had it Tuesday already mounted on the Sorane TA-1 and there it inspired me already with finest sounds. It is connected to the MC input of the Phonolab, initially with 450 ohms.
That fit already very well - but at the FR64s and 1 KOhm then really the sun rises. By the way, the tracking force is 1.9 Gr.

So I rebuilt a little on Friday and mounted the FR on the "normal" position" (I had planned again anyway).
I also changed to the ebony headshell from Kirchner - not a good idea. The bass sounded really "thickened" and imprecise and the resolution went audibly back. So back to the HS-25 from Jelco. Weight-wise, the two headshells are only 0.1 gr. apart, but the Kirchner is a bit longer.

Saturday afternoon I compared with the Colibri on the DPS3, which now plays with the T550 at the MM input of the AS (the MC is now occupied).

On the turntable in each case the current album "Hallucinations" by Sophie Hunger and there the first two tracks Liquid Air and Finde mich. The opener has a relatively "rich" bass range and there is a lot to discover in terms of resolution and details, especially at the beginning of the second song.

And the Ruby Z already comes damn "close" to the Colibri. OK - the latter then resolves even better and has the slightly better control in the bass range.
With the Benz, it sounds like more "meat on the bone", but without lacking control. The Swiss woman's voice has a bit more timbre with the Benz, which I like a bit better than the Colibri.

Could also imagine the Ruby Z working well as a standalone system - it probably needs a heavy arm. So nothing for the DPS3 - too bad....

After the thriller on TV I started the Stax again and listened to a few records with the Benz - the session went until 2 o'clock...

For this I had put on some of my favorite albums, which I have heard very often with the KH (and here especially with the Stax) and the Colibri on the Bauer.
These include Emiliana Torrini & The Colorist, GoGo Penguin, Jose James, Mathias Eick, Pink Floyd and Richard Bargel.

Playback with the Benz is then quite a bit removed from the Colibri - it lacks a bit of control and authority in the lower registers. There is a bit of "rounding out" in the treble range. It may be that the Colibri also acts a bit too "brisk" here and "shifts" the tonal focus a bit. But for some reason one chooses a pickup...

Anyway, the Ruby Z offers a different "perspective" on my music selection. A small example:
The live recording of Richard Bargel together with Major Heuser is a first class blues album and thus very much influenced by the two guitars. Side B with the three tracks Doing Time, Empire State Express and Losing Hand are particularly appealing to me.

And I have never heard the guitar playing with such intensity as with the Benz - you can literally "see" the vibrating of the sides. That is really great cinema.
"Missed" I have perhaps a little emphasis in the high tone, for example, when in Losing Hand after the long guitar solo with the drumstick on the edge of the drum is heard.

Also the applause during the live version of Wish you where here on the "Pulse" is a little less differentiated than usual, the "We love you" from the audience is present, but still quite difficult to make out. For this, the voice of good David Gilmour simply has more melting like with the Colibri.

atb, Tom

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Kuzma Stabi M, Kuzma 4 point tonearm and Miyabi Fuuga
Sony PS-X9 with Sony pua-9 and Sony XL55 pro

Attachments

• turntablessyabipsx9.jpg
    turntablessyabipsx9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
So..... how does the Sony sound? It's one of the most beautiful classics!
I have just received it, put it on the shelf and connected the cables. I will be adjusting and trying it tomorrow. I just had a quick check with some apps to see if the speed is off and both 33 and 45rpm were spot on. I will check with analog magik to see in detail.

Reactions: wbass

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I have just received it, put it on the shelf and connected the cables. I will be adjusting and trying it tomorrow. I just had a quick check with some apps to see if the speed is off and both 33 and 45rpm were spot on. I will check with analog magik to see in detail.

Can't wait to hear your impressions! Oh.... and the Kuzma look ok too :)

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Hello Don,

I had written this at the time when I had the Benz initially on loan as a guest - has then remained...

I had it Tuesday already mounted on the Sorane TA-1 and there it inspired me already with finest sounds. It is connected to the MC input of the Phonolab, initially with 450 ohms.
That fit already very well - but at the FR64s and 1 KOhm then really the sun rises. By the way, the tracking force is 1.9 Gr.

So I rebuilt a little on Friday and mounted the FR on the "normal" position" (I had planned again anyway).
I also changed to the ebony headshell from Kirchner - not a good idea. The bass sounded really "thickened" and imprecise and the resolution went audibly back. So back to the HS-25 from Jelco. Weight-wise, the two headshells are only 0.1 gr. apart, but the Kirchner is a bit longer.

Saturday afternoon I compared with the Colibri on the DPS3, which now plays with the T550 at the MM input of the AS (the MC is now occupied).

On the turntable in each case the current album "Hallucinations" by Sophie Hunger and there the first two tracks Liquid Air and Finde mich. The opener has a relatively "rich" bass range and there is a lot to discover in terms of resolution and details, especially at the beginning of the second song.

And the Ruby Z already comes damn "close" to the Colibri. OK - the latter then resolves even better and has the slightly better control in the bass range.
With the Benz, it sounds like more "meat on the bone", but without lacking control. The Swiss woman's voice has a bit more timbre with the Benz, which I like a bit better than the Colibri.

Could also imagine the Ruby Z working well as a standalone system - it probably needs a heavy arm. So nothing for the DPS3 - too bad....

After the thriller on TV I started the Stax again and listened to a few records with the Benz - the session went until 2 o'clock...

For this I had put on some of my favorite albums, which I have heard very often with the KH (and here especially with the Stax) and the Colibri on the Bauer.
These include Emiliana Torrini & The Colorist, GoGo Penguin, Jose James, Mathias Eick, Pink Floyd and Richard Bargel.

Playback with the Benz is then quite a bit removed from the Colibri - it lacks a bit of control and authority in the lower registers. There is a bit of "rounding out" in the treble range. It may be that the Colibri also acts a bit too "brisk" here and "shifts" the tonal focus a bit. But for some reason one chooses a pickup...

Anyway, the Ruby Z offers a different "perspective" on my music selection. A small example:
The live recording of Richard Bargel together with Major Heuser is a first class blues album and thus very much influenced by the two guitars. Side B with the three tracks Doing Time, Empire State Express and Losing Hand are particularly appealing to me.

And I have never heard the guitar playing with such intensity as with the Benz - you can literally "see" the vibrating of the sides. That is really great cinema.
"Missed" I have perhaps a little emphasis in the high tone, for example, when in Losing Hand after the long guitar solo with the drumstick on the edge of the drum is heard.

Also the applause during the live version of Wish you where here on the "Pulse" is a little less differentiated than usual, the "We love you" from the audience is present, but still quite difficult to make out. For this, the voice of good David Gilmour simply has more melting like with the Colibri.

atb, Tom
Hello Tom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with me your detailed thoughts regarding your Benz.
I also have the Benz Ruby Zebra wood, playing thru my Wavestream Kinetics Deluxe Reference Level 5.1 tubed phono and prefer my loading set a 1000 Ohms as well. I feel it is a fantastic transducer when playing my classical, vocals and jazz record collections :)

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: tom539

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
We still using our J Sikora. In reference to the Reference model [...] Michael Fremer couldn't find fault with any aspect of the Reference's sonic performance or its machining and physical presentation. He summed up: "For those willing to make the expenditure, add the J.Sikora Reference to the list of great mass-loaded turntables at this price." - Stereophile Magazine.

It now has an A+ rating from Stereophile. One of five such tables in the world to receive this rating.

We are still enjoying our Sikora. Hopefully receiving a couple more in the future! :)

96BB19A2-4E46-471E-BA2F-880E0C394B4C.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We still using our J Sikora. In reference to the Reference model [...] Michael Fremer couldn't find fault with any aspect of the Reference's sonic performance or its machining and physical presentation. He summed up: "For those willing to make the expenditure, add the J.Sikora Reference to the list of great mass-loaded turntables at this price." - Stereophile Magazine.

It now has an A+ rating from Stereophile. One of five such tables in the world to receive this rating.

We are still enjoying our Sikora. Hopefully receiving a couple more in the future! :)

View attachment 97583

very good table heard at @gregdee a few times quite musical, nice linearity through midbass nothing flashy just music

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing