What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Here’s my turntable pic. It’s my final Analog playback system, consisting of the TTWeights momentus supreme, (now sadly out of business) a Graham Phantom 2 arm (It might be Supreme but can’t remember), Soundsmith Strain gauge SG400 phono cart/phono stage with sgs-6 and sgs-5 styli, Stealth Hyperphono cable, all floating on a Halcyonics type active vibration canceling platform. Everything is plugged into a Niagara 7000 power conditioner, and vinyl is held captive with TTWeights periphery ring, center weight and copper platter mat.

Attachments

• B0F62BC9-2339-46C8-BEA6-E4E42FF21C0A.jpeg
    B0F62BC9-2339-46C8-BEA6-E4E42FF21C0A.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 56
  • D7BD5BC8-A457-4515-99CE-134C77ECEC90.jpeg
    D7BD5BC8-A457-4515-99CE-134C77ECEC90.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 53
  • B1E15412-1251-4361-807D-1EB00BA4EC11.jpeg
    B1E15412-1251-4361-807D-1EB00BA4EC11.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 51
  • FD0A98DB-89BC-4364-9B61-0D7BDCB8FF50.jpeg
    FD0A98DB-89BC-4364-9B61-0D7BDCB8FF50.jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 48

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Comparing vintage TotL DD turntables is such a big fun. I spent hours to fully understand the character of Kenwood L-07D and Technics SL 1000 MkII, and I am still not there, specially if compared to Micro Seiki DDX 1500 :)

Starting to change ceramic, copper, brass, graphic, rubber, steel platter mats and to create multiple sandwiches are adding fancy complications to the comparison. So time to add another strong Japanese voice to the set up and to integrate the

Luxman PD- 444

DD turntable. I am still not sure, which tonearms to place, still some Fidelity Research arms around, on the other hand a 12,7" Sorane and a 10" Glanz tonearm will look good as well.
Finally the available Luxman tonearm base made the decision for me, the Glanz MB-10B was fitting perfectly.
( no I am going to order some more tonearmbases to get also other tonearms fitted)

The Glanz plays wonderful with the old SAEC ceramic headshell and a Phasemation Cart, which means my well burnt in PP-1000 cart is fitted.

Now I am enjoying the music !

IMG_5968.jpg IMG_5969.jpg IMG_5970.jpg IMG_5971.jpg

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
The Glanz plays wonderful with the old SAEC ceramic headshell and a Phasemation Cart, which means my well burnt in PP-1000 cart is fitted.
It is interesting that you have got the SAEC to work as many I know who have tried it have not been successful. It has a bad rap as a headshell as a result. I wonder if it is the Glanz arm or Phasemation, who under the Phasetech name used to make a DLC headshell.

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
It is interesting that you have got the SAEC to work as many I know who have tried it have not been successful. It has a bad rap as a headshell as a result. I wonder if it is the Glanz arm or Phasemation, who under the Phasetech name used to make a DLC headshell.
I am fully with you, since a decade I own two of the SAEC ULS headshells and was not able to make them sing.
If I combine the PP-1000 / SAEC combination to another tonearm, like the Kenwood L07-D one, it is just muddy and not working at all.

Seems, that Ganz MB is a rare combination, apart from the vintage SAEC tonearms.

Reactions: Direct Drive

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from down unda,
Since lately I've been listening to digital quite a lot, after acquiring the Esoteric digital gear, and having a ball trying out various DACs, clocks, cables, high res files, other people's DACs for shoot outs and that sort of thing. One thing we all noticed, amongst our very dedicated Esoteric group, it does take an awful long time for it to get going, especially from cold start. I work basically 6days of the week, so leaving any gear on is out of the question, especially with two nosey cats...

So, just today since we're in lockdown and the wifey actually prefers the warmth tone of vinyl, she wanted me to play a few LP's of her choice.

And so I did! I must say, whatever or how far the digital front has evolved, with ultra-high-end DACs, clocks, transports, power supplies and all those gizmos that cost a fortune, there's just some magic whenever that stylus hits those grooves.

Wow! It's like a different dimension, there's a sense of added depth in the soundstage, warmth, an enveloping affect to the sound and something in the bandwidth that digital just doesn't quite have. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my digital playback system, I can't flaw it and it's always improving each time I spin discs. But there's just something supremely right about analog, I'm not sure what it is but it just warms your heart and soul and allows you to melt...

I just finished spinning Diana Krall's wallflower album, the good wife is now fast asleep, time to load up those fine jazz tunes from John Scofield and Amad Jamal, here we go lookout!

Just my humble rig, is totally satisfying and I like to keep it simple. Cheers, and oh! Do enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Attachments

• 20210527_223239.jpg
    20210527_223239.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 57

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
RJ I know this is a turntable discussion but I have found galvanic isolation to make digital much more analog like- I use EtherRegen.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ok, I haven't heard of this particular tweak/accessory, I'll certainly look into that.
Thanks for the info Avid ,

Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Comparing vintage TotL DD turntables is such a big fun. I spent hours to fully understand the character of Kenwood L-07D and Technics SL 1000 MkII, and I am still not there, specially if compared to Micro Seiki DDX 1500 :)

Starting to change ceramic, copper, brass, graphic, rubber, steel platter mats and to create multiple sandwiches are adding fancy complications to the comparison. So time to add another strong Japanese voice to the set up and to integrate the

Luxman PD- 444

DD turntable. I am still not sure, which tonearms to place, still some Fidelity Research arms around, on the other hand a 12,7" Sorane and a 10" Glanz tonearm will look good as well.
Finally the available Luxman tonearm base made the decision for me, the Glanz MB-10B was fitting perfectly.
( no I am going to order some more tonearmbases to get also other tonearms fitted)

Now I am enjoying the music !

View attachment 78391 View attachment 78389 View attachment 78390 View attachment 78388
Shakti,
G'day mate,

Very nice collection of TT's there. I wouldn't even know which one to use to begin with!
Also noticed that you use that ufo looking gadget, D-stat III in the corner...
I've got the same thing along with the Furutech brush. That brush wasn't cheap, I thought my daughter's make up brushes were expensive...

Do you also use the D-stat III on cables and accessories or just on the LP's? How do you start, what's your sequence? First either side of LP and then onto platter...? Any sort of best method?

Interesting to learn your way.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
TW Acustic Raven AC-3 with Graham Phantom & Ortofon AS-309S

Pioneer Exclusive P3 - 30 years young and competitive with anything

Pioneer Exclusive P10 - little bro to P3

Linn LP12, Lingo,Naim ARO - what really started the vinyl luv affair

G'day mate,

Better late than never, apart from that prime collection of wonderful TT's, I noticed you've got the CJ ART preamp! Back in the day I had the same one, partnered with the Premier 8A monoblocks driving Apogee Diva's, outstanding!

This is going a while back, so do you still have the ART preamp? I think I saw a GAT in one of your other pics or did I miss something...

Anyway, those CJ's amplifiers are something else, the anniversary editions of that time is legendary. Always had a special kind of musicality towards them. CJ's newer gear is far more neutral now, hence hardly any of that golden glow/ caramel effect... which I still prefer.

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Big WOOF! RJ

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I've got the same thing along with the Furutech brush. That brush wasn't cheap, I thought my daughter's make up brushes were expensive...
I have the Furutech SK-III brush and the De-Stat III. The De-Stat III is amazing and does a very good job. The SK-III brush on the other hand is the most overpriced piece of junk ever, it does no better job than other good brushes. The one thing the SK-III brush is good for is dusting down the equipment as the hairs are so soft, it does a better job than any dusting cloth I have come across for dusting the Hi-Fi. I guess it was not a complete waste of money, just an expensive rag replacement. ;)

Reactions: jespera

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, tell me about it TooCool4!
Ultra soft fibres I reckon... very very smooth, no doubt. I do use it once in while to dust off the CD tray, it works!
Agree on the D-stat III, at least does something right. The gadgets they have nowadays, far too many claims, very little science behind it though.
Cheers mate, have a good one now
RJ

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
G'day mate,

Better late than never, apart from that prime collection of wonderful TT's, I noticed you've got the CJ ART preamp! Back in the day I had the same one, partnered with the Premier 8A monoblocks driving Apogee Diva's, outstanding!

This is going a while back, so do you still have the ART preamp? I think I saw a GAT in one of your other pics or did I miss something...

Anyway, those CJ's amplifiers are something else, the anniversary editions of that time is legendary. Always had a special kind of musicality towards them. CJ's newer gear is far more neutral now, hence hardly any of that golden glow/ caramel effect... which I still prefer.

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Big WOOF! RJ

Hi RJ

No longer have the ART but have owned the GAT for last 10 years. Superb preamp and still connect up the prem 8A's with Teflon caps several times a year.

cj stuff sounds great.

Reactions: tima

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one XV1!
Did the SE upgrade on my CJ monoblocks as well. Also a full layout of Teflons and Vishays, those Vishays contribute to a significant improvement in performance and quietness.
Just brilliant!

Enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Reactions: XV-1

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Any sort of best method?
No, I had some static problems with a VPI TNT , gone with De-Stat . With the current DD turntables not longer in use.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing