What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
loki, that has not been my experience with the HW40s at the VPI House, where I’d often gone (pre-pandemic). I used the 40s there often and done VTA adjustments without ever having something like that happen. I’m guessing, but thinking there is a problem with your VTA tower, which I agree should not be happening for something in this price range.
It's definitely in the VTA tower. I'd send it back to them but the arm is attached from the bottom.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Lenco L70 in a custom DIY constrained layer/glulam. Upgraded sapphire ball bearing, Teflon bearing plate, spindle cap, and rim drive arm/wheel. Trans-Fi Terminator linear air bearing tonearm with SoundSmith Hyperion cartridge (stereo) and various MM cartridges (stereo), Pioneer PL70 arm with Miyajima Zero mono 0.7mm cartridge.
IMG_0970.JPG IMG_1286.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 26

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Lenco L70 in a custom DIY constrained layer/glulam. Upgraded sapphire ball bearing, Teflon bearing plate, spindle cap, and rim drive arm/wheel. Trans-Fi Terminator linear air bearing tonearm with SoundSmith Hyperion cartridge (stereo) and various MM cartridges (stereo), Pioneer PL70 arm with Miyajima Zero mono 0.7mm cartridge.
View attachment 76804 View attachment 76805
Looks like a great turntable set up you've got there, Evan. I gotta say, I love seeing that beast of a phono stage! That Wavestream is deeeeep :cool:

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Looks like a great turntable set up you've got there, Evan. I gotta say, I love seeing that beast of a phono stage! That Wavestream is deeeeep :cool:

Best wishes,
Don
It is pretty hurky! I'm happy to have it back in my system and noise-free. Near as I can tell the issue was flaky tube contact. Scott tried different low-noise tubes and saw slightly less sub-sonic oscillation, but the baseline was still well below specs. I had my doubts until I got it home this morning. I've been listening to records all afternoon and it sounds splendid! I also have 3 different batches of low noise matched tubes coming in (a bit of a shotgun approach since Scott didn't find a smoking gun).

Reactions: No Regrets

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Main system: Brinkmann Balance, SAT and Transfiguration Proteus

Secondary syteam: heavily upgraded Thorens 124/II (Artisan Fidelity Plinth, HAT, Schopper, Retrotone etc.), SME V and Lyra Etna

Love that, two of my favorites. Not heard AF thorens but schopper yes a few

Reactions: Vienna

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
It is pretty hurky! I'm happy to have it back in my system and noise-free. Near as I can tell the issue was flaky tube contact. Scott tried different low-noise tubes and saw slightly less sub-sonic oscillation, but the baseline was still well below specs. I had my doubts until I got it home this morning. I've been listening to records all afternoon and it sounds splendid! I also have 3 different batches of low noise matched tubes coming in (a bit of a shotgun approach since Scott didn't find a smoking gun).
I'm happy to hear that you got it back so quickly and it's noise free again :). It can be amazing how "dirty" tube pins can affect things. What kind of low noise tubes did you order for it?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I'm happy to hear that you got it back so quickly and it's noise free again :). It can be amazing how "dirty" tube pins can affect things. What kind of low noise tubes did you order for it?
Scott recommended Electro Harmonix—low noise for trouble shooting, not necessarily for listening. Tube Depot recommended the JJ 6922 low noise, matched and Mullard 12AX7. I also ordered 2 pair of the Black Sable, which are cryo treated and tested/sorted Mullard 6922.

Reactions: No Regrets

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Something rather rare is this Firebird Player by Feickert Analogue in the combination silver/grey.

Feickert_15.jpg

Feickert_3.jpg

The tonearms from Glanz and Dynavector fit together perfectly. Directly below it is the AS Phonolab phono combination by Audiospecials with the new AS Monophonic. -TRUE MONO- for the correct equalisation Curve of mono records. The Blue Note record can even be heard with the matching equalisation curve, which is very important for this mono fan.

groovemaster

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Something rather rare is this Firebird Player by Feickert Analogue in the combination silver/grey.

View attachment 77579

View attachment 77580

The tonearms from Glanz and Dynavector fit together perfectly. Directly below it is the AS Phonolab phono combination by Audiospecials with the new AS Monophonic. -TRUE MONO- for the correct equalisation Curve of mono records. The Blue Note record can even be heard with the matching equalisation curve, which is very important for this mono fan.

groovemaster
At first sight I thoght it was a Spiral Groove turntable.
Is that simply coincidence or are the two somehow lnked?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
2 legendary Direct Drive turntables side by side:

- Kenwood L-07 D

-Technics SL-1000 MkII

both with an Allnic Cartridge

IMG_5819.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Great to see you have joined the vintage Japanese dd club Shakti. :cool:

Attachments

• 20201223_162423.jpg
    20201223_162423.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 24

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
The French are said to have a flair for culture and elegance. My friend Gerard, a musician and DJ in Paris, has fulfilled his dream with a Transrotor Z3. The amplification is done by the AS Phonolab 1.0 with the RECOMPIZER, in order to get the best possible dynamics out of records with less than optimal sound quality. A DJ compiles his record set-up primarily according to musical criteria. Sometimes the sound quality is suboptimal.

Transrotor_21.jpg Transrotor_22.jpg

groovemaster

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
When Gerard has a mix completed with this new setup perhaps he can post a playlist or even a link?

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Nice photographs. It looks as though the turntable is sitting on a slab of granite. Is that the case? And what is the material of the top shelf of the rack? Thanks.

Well observed.
There is a granite slab under the Z3. Why? The rack is an IKEA. Sorry!

How Gerard came to have this Z3 is certainly not coincidental. As a pianist, his Z3 player resembles a Steinway grand piano in appearance. And one should not underestimate the right of wives to have a say in design decisions.

groovemaster

Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing