What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Probably can tune the sound to your liking by adding some whiskey, brandy, vodka etc. to the mix :cool:
Of course:D
At first glance it looks like a Rube Goldberg machine but there are so many smart solutions on it that i've never seen on any other turntable. He's patented a few things. Show me another tonearm that has no bearing friction at all. You can buy it for ~ 100k €

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Show me another tonearm that has no bearing friction at all. You can buy it for ~ 100k €
Anything that floats will have some draft, however small. And, of course, on the level of micro forces, surface tension is in play too.
If he claims it has no forces equivalent to bearing friction in a conventional tone arm, I’d like to see his analysis.

Reactions: Johan K

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Anything that floats will have some draft, however small. And, of course, on the level of micro forces, surface tension is in play too.
If he claims it has no forces equivalent to bearing friction in a conventional tone arm, I’d like to see his analysis.
you have identified the problem, congrats. the air draft in the room is why acrylic glass shields are used to protect the tonearm. everything that has no friction can be moved easily. I'm not an expert, write to him, he can explain it in detail. 20240414_212843.jpg

P.S in newer pictures it is hermetically sealed against air draft.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
you have identified the problem, congrats. the air draft in the room is why acrylic glass shields are used to protect the tonearm. everything that has no friction can be moved easily.

My platter is about 150 pounds and it floats on air for very low friction and high inertia. It will free spin from 33.33 rpm for half an hour before coming to a stop. And yet it cannot be moved easily at start up and it is not easy to stop it.

Reactions: mtemur

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
you have identified the problem, congrats. the air draft in the room is why acrylic glass shields are used to protect the tonearm. everything that has no friction can be moved easily. I'm not an expert, write to him, he can explain it in detail. View attachment 128887

P.S in newer pictures it is hermetically sealed against air draft.
It is not air draft I mentioned. Draft is the distance into water that an item sinks (the amount below the waterline). The item must plow through that water if it is to move. There is also drag force of the liquid passing the sides.

Tiefgang auf Deutsch.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
It is not air draft I mentioned. Draft is the distance into water that an item sinks (the amount below the waterline). The item must plow through that water if it is to move. There is also drag force of the liquid passing the sides.

Tiefgang auf Deutsch.
German ..nice:)
you mean the water displacement that Arcimedes discovered and calculated. The buoyancy that a body experiences is exactly as great as the weight of the liquid it has displaced. I hope you can see what the good Mr Baasner has done about this problem when the record player goes into production

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing