What SPECIFICALLY is better or different about the Wadax Design? How do these design choices manifest in better sound?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont get the point here .
Wadax makes a dac as to how they think a dac should be made .
Be happy there is at least somebody/ company who tries to move the goalpost

Ps .If you wanna start regarding dubious claims in the high end industry then there is one obvious place
The cable industry lol.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I will shun MoFi not because their stuff doesn't sound good, but because they were purposely dishonest. Does Wadax fit into this category? I don't know if they do.

I don’t know if Wadax fits into this category. Making the inference that the Wadax Reference Dac is a “bit-perfect” dac does give one pause, considering there is already known, and stated, musIC ”error correction” and upsampling, at a minimum, being implemented.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I dont get the point here .
Wadax makes a dac as to how they think a dac should be made .
Be happy there is at least somebody/ company who tries to move the goalpost

Ps .If you wanna start regarding dubious claims in the high end industry then there is one obvious place
The cable industry lol.

The issue is the assertion that the Wadax is a ”bit-perfect” dac, when it isn’t. Analogous to Mobile-Fidelity leading their customers to believe that they are buying AAA records, when they are not.

I think that Wadax will open the door to the more common use of DSP and other manufacturers will also start to stray away from “straight” digital to analog conversion, and there is nothing wrong with that, I myself am already doing so with the use of HQPLAYER, they just simply need to state it and not mislead the customers and the industry. It’s that simple, it could be a brilliant idea, but don’t pass it off or pretend that it is something that is not.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The issue is the assertion that the Wadax is a ”bit-perfect” dac, when it isn’t. Analogous to Mobile-Fidelity leading their customers to believe that they are buying AAA records, when they are not.

I think that Wadax will open the door to the more common use of DSP and other manufacturers will also start to stray away from “straight” digital to analog conversion, and there is nothing wrong with that, I myself am already doing so with the use of HQPLAYER, they just simply need to state it and not mislead the customers and the industry. It’s that simple, it could be a brilliant idea, but don’t pass it off or pretend that it is something that is not.

I agree that this is the analogy and describes the situation. What I am not so sure about is how important it is to people or how much they are demanding it. Personally, I simply listen and make my choices. Others seem more interested in the how’s and why’s.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I agree that this is the analogy and describes the situation. What I am not so sure about is how important it is to people or how much they are demanding it. Personally, I simply listen and make my choices. Others seem more interested in the how’s and why’s.

If this isn’t worth discussing, then what is? Does the emperor have new clothes? I personally find these type of topics the reason that I come on these forums, if it was just to hear the sycophantic echo that everything is great and that there’s flowers growing out of our ass then it wouldn’t be that interesting to me.

You want uplifting and inspirational, that’s fine, but some of us can’t close our eyes and pretend or ignore those things that beg to be questioned.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If this isn’t worth discussing, then what is? Does the emperor have new clothes? I personally find these type of topics the reason that I come on these forums, if it was just to hear the sycophantic echo that everything is great and that there’s flowers growing out our ass then it wouldn’t be that interesting to me.

You want uplifting and inspirational, that’s fine, but some of us can’t close our eyes and pretend or ignore those things that beg to be questioned.

Carlos, I’m glad people like you and others are asking the questions. Hopefully it will lead to better understanding.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I find Amir’s dubiousnes, or the dubiousness of his sycophants on ASR, to be probative of nothing. If Amir can’t measure a difference, then Amir cannot (and will not) hear a difference.

Since when do we owners of components in this hobby demand that marketing copy make technical sense, or demand that that marketing copy be proven by a third party to be technically accurate?
I doubt many of them have the digital technical chops to realistically evaluate WADAX's claims. I also have a highly technical background and understand a lot of the digital discussion quite well but what WADAX does I don't really know (as someone here put, what does "feedforward" digital really mean? What are they actually doing? If it is a way to further eliminate jitter then it seems they first measure the jitter and it's nature and then send an "inverse" jitter signal forward to "correct" the digital waveforms?? Maybe? probably not...no idea.

Maybe it is a bit like DSP time correction of speakers. There the timing of the drivers is measured and then delays are applied to make so the result at the microphone is in time at all frequencies (or nearly so). Can something like that be done with a digital waveform? That is kind of what it sounds like.

I personally don't like when companies say they think something works in a way that is not very consonant with known physics...the problem is, how many audiophiles know what is possible or not in physics?

My biggest problem with ASR, and engineers in general, is that they are not scientists...they are engineers and there is a big difference in the way of thinking. Engineers design to a set of criteria and once they hit that target they are satisfied. Some of them are also defining that target but it is often based on purely objective goals (certain THD and jitter over X frequency range etc.). Very few of them are actually concerned with the WHY does it sound a certain way and is that the way it is supposed to sound. Psychoacoustics is the realm of science where understanding what and why we prefer certain sound quality over other quality, when objectively, the differences are quite small (or arguably inaudible).

The problem is those guys are convinced (not sure by what other than their own disbelief in how sensitive human hearing can be) that below certain levels of distortion and noise or whatever other artifacts are generated that all things will sound the same. However, experience tells us that this isn't so... no matter how good it measures... it seems that the path in design to get to certain measurements matters a lot too.

I have heard some of these cheap DACs, especially a Topping DAC, because a friend of mine bought one. He brought it over and while it doesn't sound bad, it doesn't sound particularly high end either (made pretty flat images for example)...and it for sure has better measurements than just about anything else out there! I have had similar experiences with not-so-cheap Weiss DACs where they just sound horribly sterile and flat (except they cost several thousand). The Topping might actually sound better than the Weiss...so price indeed is not a guarantee!!

I think what bother's me about the WADAX the most is that I heard it in several rooms in Munich and it failed to deliver great sound, IMO. Hard then to justify the spend. In the room with Goebel speakers I thought the analog setup with Kronos absolutely KILLED the WADAX setup there. I know which of those I would buy for that kind of money.

So, even IF WADAX has made a huge leap in the digital section of their DAC, what comes out, to my ears at least in these show rooms doesn't advance sound quality in the way the price would suggest it should...or at all. The Kronos TT setup wowed me with SQ (I have noticed over the years that rooms with a Kronos consistently delivered great sound)...the WADAX not. Maybe if WADAX put a good tube output stage on their tech it would sound a lot better? Maybe they need the advice of really good analog circuit designers (the tech between digital and analog are quite different realms of engineering)?

Why should people spending big bucks willingly be deceived by marketing copy? Not saying WADAX is being in anyway deceptive (as I said, I lack the digital circuitry chops to judge if it is technobabble or the real deal) but there are claims to such and that is worth debating.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would expect tube rolling to have measurable effects on DACs like the Lampizator, where it is not just the make of tube being rolled but the tube type as well. No one has bothered to do this but could provide an interesting result.

Surely tube rolling would produce measurable effects - and very significant, many people are swapping tubes just because they are pin compatible, changing the operation points in a considerable way. However, what I say is that considering the diversity of tubes and the diversity of the individual subjective opinions it would be almost impossible to get any systematic valid conclusions. But some one really interested could have a lot of fun.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i find that ASR occupies an alternate universe. i wish them well in their musings. but pay it no heed.

i know Amir, he for years interacted with me on this forum, he is local and has been to my home a few times and i've had lunch with him. we have zero common ground to converse about. he has little interest in listening, i have little interest in his views on music reproduction and hifi.

You should be in diplomacy, Mike. Most of us had hard debates with Amir and do not have good memories of them! However I was not addressing the man, but just a few current posts on his forum. Unfortunately, as it happens in this forum many times, people are focusing on the messenger or even in the message support, not one the message content.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I find Amir’s dubiousnes, or the dubiousness of his sycophants on ASR, to be probative of nothing. If Amir can’t measure a difference, then Amir cannot (and will not) hear a difference.

Since when do we owners of components in this hobby demand that marketing copy make technical sense, or demand that that marketing copy be proven by a third party to be technically accurate?

Ron,

Do you really debate ASR and Amir in this forum? You are misrepresenting the views of people who are asking for more information. And yes, traditionally WBF has debated and criticized abusive or misleading technical marketing - the usual target is gear that uses the word quantum in their litterature.

Reactions: lordcloud

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
While i like the wadax in general , it does need tubes or at least a warm sounding class A SS amplifier .
On the boulder 2110 / 3060 it sounded a bit clinical / cold to my ears .

Voice reproduction was exeptional on the Audio Research set up in Munchen

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And yes, traditionally WBF has debated and criticized abusive or misleading technical marketing - the usual target is gear that uses the word quantum in their litterature.
You wont hear that from me anymore .
Since aliens/ufos are confirmed by the pentagon everything is seemingly possible in this universe
May be calling a product quantum and painting it blue does change the outcome

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You should be in diplomacy, Mike. Most of us had hard debates with Amir and do not have good memories of them! However I was not addressing the man, but just a few current posts on his forum. Unfortunately, as it happens in this forum many times, people are focusing on the messenger or even in the message support, not one the message content.
i've moved way on from any past "Amir" rancor years ago. my post #3 in this thread says all i need to say. i have no idea (and don't care) why the Wadax does what it does.
i think we have to separate speculation about what might be the why behind the (apparent) performance advantage of the Wadax, and actually knowing what is doing what.
when i decided to do my head to head Wadax<->MSB/Extreme compare the dye was cast. it stepped on everyone's toes. i made a big target much bigger. for every action there is a reaction. any potential negative will be pumped.....however slight. bandwidth is cheap. even analog guys want a piece.

now back to the thread.........enjoy.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Googaliser

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
i've moved way on from any past "Amir" rancor years ago. my post #3 in this thread says all i need to say. i have no idea (and don't care) why the Wadax does what it does.

when i decided to do my head to head Wadax<->MSB/Extreme compare the dye was cast. it stepped on everyone's toes. i made a big target much bigger. for every action there is a reaction. any potential negative will be pumped.....however slight. bandwidth is cheap. even analog guys want a piece.

now back to the thread.........enjoy.....
I can verify that Amir has gone off the deep edge never to return.
As an audiophile sound quality is paramount.
AS a consumer one can consider whether the required technology and materials warrant an exorbitant price tag. High prices also facilitates exclusivity. If it matters to you of course.

Reactions: morricab

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I can verify that Amir has gone off the deep edge never to return.
As an audiophile sound quality is paramount.
AS a consumer one can consider whether the required technology and materials warrant an exorbitant price tag. High prices also facilitates exclusivity. If it matters to you of course.
The point to be made is simple but gets smeared
to perform honest tests is good but does not equate to pleasant sound nor correctness.
when one says coloration or lack there of . it’s already off the path for some I think.
what he does is measure then points to how it sounds.one example is low distortion SS amps compared to tubes

now having said this distortion is what we need for if little it’s no longer musical

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
While i like the wadax in general , it does need tubes or at least a warm sounding class A SS amplifier .

Interesting...will keep that comment in mind given that you have spoken a bit of other equipment I do know a little more about (Zanden, Robert Koda, and others).

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

I am not familiar with Boulder amplification but might it be the signature of these Boulders (pre)amps that you experienced as somewhat clinical sounding?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Audiocrack,

Will be interesting to hear what Andromeda comes back with. My understanding is he is a huge fan of Boulder, particularly their flagship work. He is also a big fan of Zanden which is a sound you know well as a small means of understanding a little bit about his particular taste.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hey Audiocrack,

Will be interesting to hear what Andromeda comes back with. My understanding is he is a huge fan of Boulder, particularly their flagship work. He is also a big fan of Zanden which is a sound you know well as a small means of understanding a little bit about his particular taste.
Yep, let’s see. Ideally he would have listened to another digital combo in order to find out if the clinical / cold signature remained but I do not believe he actually did. Cold / clinical is a new description for the Wadax reference server / dac combo, a description that I do not recognize.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hey Audiocrack,

I couldn't imagine brands more diametrically opposed sound wise than Zanden and Boulder!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing