What is the process for getting a piece of Spectral gear serviced?

jprice

Apr 13, 2012
In the heart of Dixie
My Spectral Pre-amp needs service and I'm not sure how to go about getting it done. (DMC 30SL) Bought it new but warranty long since gone. Must I go through a dealer or contact Spectral direct.

It is for sure that the Spectral Web page offers very little assistance.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My first phone call would be to Spectral. Let them guide you.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't see why Spectral wouldn't repair their own piece, especially if they were going to charge you for it off warranty.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My Spectral Pre-amp needs service and I'm not sure how to go about getting it done. (DMC 30SL) Bought it new but warranty long since gone. Must I go through a dealer or contact Spectral direct.

It is for sure that the Spectral Web page offers very little assistance.

If you bought it from a dealer, why not let them handle getting the unit repaired? That's what you pay them the bucks for!

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
You need to go through a Spectral dealer, they will coordinate the repair work with Spectral. It's a pain, really expensive but as with all their other output the service work itself is meticulous.

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
It is possible to deal with the folks at Spectral directly. Since the dealer that I bought the products from stopped carrying Spectral, and there is no local dealer within close to 1000 miles from me, I just called them up, spoke to a M. Ellner (I don't remember his first name, but he is listed that way on the invoice I received), and shipped the amplifier back to them. They repaired it and sent it back to me C.O.D. They did not like the shape of the shipping carton that I used (it was the OEM one), so they "sold" me a new one for $25. Their repairs are not inexpensive, but I do not think that their products can be worked on by just any repair guy.

I currently have a SDR-2000 DAC that went up in smoke a week or 2 ago, and I am trying to decide if it is worth calling them up to ask about fixing it. In the world of digital, repair of it would probably not be cost effective.

Bill

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
My experience with Spectral is that they will not perform repair works if the equipment has been tampered with.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
It is possible to deal with the folks at Spectral directly. Since the dealer that I bought the products from stopped carrying Spectral, and there is no local dealer within close to 1000 miles from me, I just called them up, spoke to a M. Ellner (I don't remember his first name, but he is listed that way on the invoice I received), and shipped the amplifier back to them. They repaired it and sent it back to me C.O.D. They did not like the shape of the shipping carton that I used (it was the OEM one), so they "sold" me a new one for $25. Their repairs are not inexpensive, but I do not think that their products can be worked on by just any repair guy.

I currently have a SDR-2000 DAC that went up in smoke a week or 2 ago, and I am trying to decide if it is worth calling them up to ask about fixing it. In the world of digital, repair of it would probably not be cost effective.

Bill

I apologize if my input was inaccurate and considering Bill's comment it was. That was my experience about a year ago, looks like it doesn't really apply across the board.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes they will repair if you send it direct, unless the unit has been tampered with. Mr. Marc Ellner is a class act as everyone else. Turnaround is usually quick.

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Contact a Spectral dealer, it's as easy as that. You will be asked a few questions to determine the problem. The dealer will take all of your information, call Spectral & get a RMA#. You can send the unit directly to Spectral & they will return it to you after service. Billing is done by the Spectral dealer. If you have any questions please do not hesitate contacting me. Terry Menacker,
Overture Audio. 302 478 6050, or you can e-mail me at: terry@overtureav.com. We will be happy to assist you.

jprice

Apr 13, 2012
In the heart of Dixie
Thank all of you very much.

This was my first post in your forum and I was greatly impressed with the concern you expressed and the good advice you gave.

I called the dealer from whom I purchased the preamp and he couldn't have been more helpful in making the arrangements for me to ship the unit to Spectral.

I plan to ship it out on Monday, and I understand that turnaround should be fairly quick.

Thanks again for your help. (And thank you Terry, because you are my dealer, and you were exceptionally helpful.)

And thank you also Gary and Myles - as I "speak" with you often in another Audio forum.

And the rest of you, Thanks - and I'm very glad that I've discovered this wonderful place. :b

Julian (aka AudioNut)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Good Luck Julian!

Let us know how it all turns out.

Joe

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
The only company that can service Spectral, is Spectral. That is unless its a fuse etc. Just contact a Spectral dealer.

Terry Menacker,

Overture Audio

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Glad to see you here Julian, my friend. I keep thinking about getting Spectral gear. I'll have to take a listen and talk to Terry. :)

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
I don't see why Spectral wouldn't repair their own piece, especially if they were going to charge you for it off warranty.
May I ask why you would think Spectral doesn't service their own gear? In fact they are the "ONLY" people that can service Spectral. No one else would know where to start, have the test equipment needed, or access to the parts used in all Spectral components. Obviously something like a fuse etc. could be handled by others. Spectral's modular design on many of their products means that a replacement board can be sent to a Spectral dealer & the unit repaired quickly. Spectral gear is very reliable.Most problems occur in older units that have not been installed and/or used properly. If needed turnaround time at Spectral is the best in the industry.
Terry Menacker, Overture Audio

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Contact a Spectral dealer, it's as easy as that. You will be asked a few questions to determine the problem. The dealer will take all of your information, call Spectral & get a RMA#. You can send the unit directly to Spectral & they will return it to you after service. Billing is done by the Spectral dealer. If you have any questions please do not hesitate contacting me. Terry Menacker,
Overture Audio. 302 478 6050, or you can e-mail me at: terry@overtureav.com. We will be happy to assist you.

Now guys and gals,here's a great example of a dealer that backs his product lines! How long you been a Spectral dealer Terry? ;)

jprice

Apr 13, 2012
In the heart of Dixie
Quick turn-around is an understatement with Spectral.

I shipped the preamp to Spectral in California (I'm in Georgia) on Monday, September 9th, and UPS has it on their delivery truck, out for delivery to me today - two weeks to the day - including 6 days of travel time back and forth.

Now, if it just works when I open it up this afternoon . . . :D

This is the best turn-around time I've ever experienced on a repair. Thanks Spectral!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Julian,

My fingers are crossed. That's awesome service. I dread having to ship anything to Germany or Switzerland.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing