What is the best transport? (For those not interested in computer audio rabbit hole)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Best one I have had experience with is the big MBL.

I agree the 1621a is marvelous pce, really enjoyed mine - I also really like the Kalista Ref but the one I got had issues, wouldn't play numerous disc's that I've never had any issues with and trying to be looked after was a nightmare so I didn't keep it.

P.C.

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, WA, USA
Although I've never seen either let alone heard them. if I had unlimited funds for a cd only transport the two I'd buy in a heart beat would be the belt driven CEC TLO 3.0 and the wacky 47 Labs Pi Tracer.
Just because somebody was crazy and dedicated enough to design and manufacture them!

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
The Forsell used the CDM9 Pro swing-arm cd mechanism - a legend itself, used by several famous transports. Although it is not available anymore, it uses the same laser block as other Philips mechanisms and the laser can be easily serviced. It had several versions, my MK1 was really very unstable, never had any problem with the MK3. Still feel guilty of having sold it. :eek: Only the Calypso could make me forget it. ;)

I have the Mk II. It was superseded by the P-0s. My Mk II played very well, but after encountering a speed bump, while being transported in a car, it may require adjustment.
What were the symptoms of instability?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have been extremely happy with Accuphase 900

Big step up from 800 series i had before

Its wonderful on SACD, but its CD performance can be amazing on good cds

Dynamics and tone are wonderful

no issues and reads every disc

monster build quality

of course made to work with 901 in sacd mode limiting factor

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I had esoteric p-03 for several years and last 3 years I am using Metronome Kalista reference and it is still far better than esoteric. Despite the fact that you can not word sync it with your dac. One clear advantage of metronome vs esoteric was the deliverance of transparency of the record and as well as background blackness.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The transport used on the last version of the Wadia Series 9 the 971 was excellent.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What transports that have a used price less than 5k are better than Aurender x100 or other streamers? Any recommended universal transports that are better

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing