What is the best speaker you have ever owned ?????

I was the fifth largest Acoustat dealer back in the early 80's. I sold a bunch of Acoustats. My favorite was the Acoustat Monitor III's with the DD servo tube amps. They are still a killer today.

Today my favorite are the Zellaton speakers. I own the Emotions.

Andre (MrAcoustat), one of our members here (the OP actually), is an Acoustat lover, for life.
* {Andre, I miss you.}

1. Acoustat Monitor III - Any picture?
2. Acoustat Zellaton - Any picture?
3. Acoustat Emotion - Any picture?

-> I searched (googled) and couldn't find any pictures!

Last edited:
Andre, one of our members here (the OP actually), is an Acoustat lover, for life.
* {Andre, I miss you.}

1. Acoustat Monitor III - Any picture?
2. Acoustat Zellaton - Any picture?
3. Acoustat Emotion - Any picture?

-> I searched (googled) and couldn't find any pictures!

Don't worry Bob, i'm not dead yet, This is a monitor four, the monitor three is the same with only 3 panels instead of four.

IMG_1115.JPG

These are Zellaton - - - http://www.zellaton.de/en/

Zellaton_600.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Monitor 4 is after the DD Servo amp days. There was no pedestal when the DD amps were used, the grill cloth went all the way to the bottom wood frame sitting on the floor. The panels were raised and their bottoms started about 12"-18" off the floor.

Gary's going to like reading that :)

Ok, the Acoustat Zellaton; I did find that link you posted just above (post #303), but I wasn't sure at all if it was the right speaker because it doesn't look like an electrostatic one. ...Nice pictures by the way from that link.

What about the Acoustat Emotion?

I was the fifth largest Acoustat dealer back in the early 80's. I sold a bunch of Acoustats. My favorite was the Acoustat Monitor III's with the DD servo tube amps. They are still a killer today.

Today my favorite are the Zellaton speakers. I own the Emotions.

Very interesting...I know Wizard is a big fan of Zellatons. I have not heard them myself, but know a little about your background with Acoustats...I am intrigued about any comments you could make about the Zellaton sound. If you can compare to other speakers that would be helpful. Unfortunately, I am only vaguely familiar with Acoustat sound, but have spent time with: SF, Wilson, Apogee, Magico, Tidal, Quad, Rockport, YG, Focal, Thiel, and a few others...

thanks for any comments!

Ok, the Acoustat Zellaton; I did find that link you posted just above (post #303), but I wasn't sure at all if it was the right speaker because it doesn't look like an electrostatic one. ...Nice pictures by the way from that link.

What about the Acoustat Emotion?

Hi Bob, the Emotion's are one of Zellaton's models, NOTHING to do with Acoustat, this link will show you ALL models of Acoustat's of the 70s - 80s - and 90s - http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Acoustat.

PS: The most expensive Acoustat ( USA ) ever built was the Spectra 6600 and sold for 5.8k ( USA ) ( 8k ) Canadian in 1991 - 1992, NOTHING EVEN come's close to that kind of sound today for that kind of money NOTHING.

I'm pretty sure that Monitor 4 is after the DD Servo amp days. There was no pedestal when the DD amps were used, the grill cloth went all the way to the bottom wood frame sitting on the floor. The panels were raised and their bottoms started about 12"-18" off the floor.

Most of the Acoustat models that where made can be seen here. ( MOST )

http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Acoustat - - - Equipment - - - Electrostatic Speakers - - -

I realized later after I posted that the Monitor 4's (and 3's) actually came in several different cabinets over time. I was thinking of the cabinets when my X's were upgraded to Monitor 4's, but there were different ones both before and after, still with the Servo amps. They still aren't all shown in those pictures at the Website linked.

I realized later after I posted that the Monitor 4's (and 3's) actually came in several different cabinets over time. I was thinking of the cabinets when my X's were upgraded to Monitor 4's, but there were different ones both before and after, still with the Servo amps. They still aren't all shown in those pictures at the Website linked.

Yes you're right, that is the reason that i wrote ( MOST ) there are so many things that can be done to these stats BUT always with the same old panels even modified they are still Acoustat panels it is simply making a good panel into a better one, at least to some of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes no matter what speaker driver(s) used the cabinet always contributes to the sound. I was merely confirming your post about "most" models, with the added info that there are different appearances even for the same model, not necessarily appreciated from that website.

Haven't been able to audition them against eachother yet, as one of the rooms is still undergoing construction. But it's either my Ino Audio pi60s-s or my Ino Audio i32s. Probably the latter. It will definitely have the best room of the two, so the net will for sure be a bit better.

Very interesting...I know Wizard is a big fan of Zellatons. I have not heard them myself, but know a little about your background with Acoustats...I am intrigued about any comments you could make about the Zellaton sound. If you can compare to other speakers that would be helpful. Unfortunately, I am only vaguely familiar with Acoustat sound, but have spent time with: SF, Wilson, Apogee, Magico, Tidal, Quad, Rockport, YG, Focal, Thiel, and a few others...

thanks for any comments!

The Acoustats with the servo amps are ultra detailed and linear than any other ESL ever was made. Compared to the Acoustats with transformers, the transformers makes the Acoustats sound veiled. They actually make any other ESL sound broken.

The Zellatons have the same character but have a better image than Acoustats. You can get up and walk around the room without losing an image. It is odd, many of us has never heard of Zellaton before and they have made speakers since 1939.

Where many speakers tend to sound overly bright and analytical, the Zellaton's never do. Zellaton won the best sound in Munich this year, and many reviewers are raving about the sound here in the US now.

Ever since I got rid of my Acoustats back in the 80's, I have been looking for an improved replacement. I have now finally found it.

The Acoustats with the servo amps are ultra detailed and linear than any other ESL ever was made. Compared to the Acoustats with transformers, the transformers makes the Acoustats sound veiled. They actually make any other ESL sound broken.

The Zellatons have the same character but have a better image than Acoustats. You can get up and walk around the room without losing an image. It is odd, many of us has never heard of Zellaton before and they have made speakers since 1939.

Where many speakers tend to sound overly bright and analytical, the Zellaton's never do. Zellaton won the best sound in Munich this year, and many reviewers are raving about the sound here in the US now.

Ever since I got rid of my Acoustats back in the 80's, I have been looking for an improved replacement. I have now finally found it.

Acoustat 1+1s ( 1984 ) price paid $600.00 after mods 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - cost about $3,000.00 Canadian compared to Audio Exklusiv P3.1 retail price $16,000.00 i prefered my 1+1s of course i understand if my speakers where not DIY they would cost much much more but i am going with the amount that they cost ME.

Keep It Simple 1000 X 750.jpg - - - Acoustat 1+1s - - - Audio Exklusiv P3.1 Speakers.jpg - - - Audio Exklusiv P3.1 - - -

I believe that you have finaly found it BUT for how much more money ????? and how many audiophiles walk around the room when listening to music ????? i know i don't, when i invite friends over it always make's me laugh when i see them moving left to right and right to left then i tell them hey RELAX MAN enjoy the music don't look for problems when there are none. :):):)

I just read somewhere that all Acoustat panels were designed to self-destruct on 1 Jan 2014 starting at 12:01 AM and lasting until 11:59 PM. All of the Acoustat speakers in Canada are scheduled to self-destruct first.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing