What is "fast" ?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Mike you nailed it. Fast for me only has one meaning since I design soeakers. How fast do the drivers start and stop. View attachment 68377
They say the human ear can start to detect audible differences around 5 ms. I believe this is false but we don't have a way to prove it. The above step response shows a soeaker that starts and stops within roughly 2ms. It returns to base line. Find me another box soeaker that can do this. Most box soeakers don't return to baseline until many ms well into the auditory range . This is distortion. The only other soeakers I have seen return to baseline this fast are planners. I can see why someone made the comment that fast means lean because you are removing so much hangtime from the woofers. Fast should not mean lean. I have never considered my soeakers lean and it is the exact opposite. For me soeed is everything. A slow soeaker would be a very forgiving soeaker but you IMO will never capture the realism of the performance.

Nah I nailed it before Mike;) Though I guess I didn't talk about rise times.

Is that from a ceramic driver?

Reactions: Leif S

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Nah I nailed it before Mike;) Though I guess I didn't talk about rise times.

Is that from a ceramic driver?
Forgive me, I was kind of speed reading the thread lol.
No......that is our $25K Endeavor Special Edition. Aluminium woofers. But all of our speakers have responses like this. The rise time has many facets to it. Internal damping, crossover topology, and the quality of the components to just name a few. The step response on all our different models damn near looks identical.

Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Forgive me, I was kind of speed reading the thread lol.
No......that is our $25K Endeavor Special Edition. Aluminium woofers. But all of our speakers have responses like this. The rise time has many facets to it. Internal damping, crossover topology, and the quality of the components to just name a few. The step response on all our different models damn near looks identical.

Actually I am sure I have heard the Ultra 11 more than once.

Nice speakers.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
One thing I notice is that the best audio systems are often described as 'overwhelming'. Rise time is an objective and technical way to use the word fast. Subjectively it seems to me that the more musical detail that is presented, and the more emotionally engaging and musically real that detail is, creates a density of experience...as if 'more' is happening in the same frame of time vs a lesser system. Maybe if 'more' is perceived we feel this as speed? If 'more' is presented without being emotionally engaging and musically real we tend to say it is 'tiring' or 'clinical' .

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Takes me back to the 90's and AS describing Spectral electronics as fast, it didn't make sense to me then and certainly doesn't today either. The only time I've used the terms fast or slow in audio context was in regards to speaker drivers.

david

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I bet if you timed a song on a fast and slow system they would end at the same time.

Reactions: ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I bet if you timed a song on a fast and slow system they would end at the same time.

Quite a red herring as that was the not the point at all. It is a subjective term and people were trying to explain how it was used, not that the platter moves in 32.32 as opposed to 33.33, or that a song finishes faster.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
listen to a music track that lasts 5 minutes. It can sound slow and dragging or it can sound vital and energetic, but it still only lasts 5 minutes...so the difference has nothing to do with speed pe se.
I believe it was Martin Colloms who coined the phrase, Pace, Rhythm and Timing, PRaT for short. Essentially this refers to how the music sounds. Does the drummer sound like he’s groovin’ or like he’s about to fall asleep? Does the bass sound vibrant and energetic and bop along to add real rhythmic drive, or does it sound like he’s being paid by the hour and just following the score. Pianos and guitar....do they bring over all the clever, tension building pauses and subtle phrasing, weaving magical interplay’s with the rhythm section or are they just following the sheet music? Is the music engaging your senses, making you tap your feet or bouncing you out of your chair or is it just leaving you unmoved? Even slow music can have subtle but powerful rhythmic drive and energy.
In my vocabulary, the opposite of ‘fast’ in this context isn’t ‘slow’......rather its ‘boring’.
Of course, ‘Fast’ could also mean that you accidentally pressed the 45rpm button. :rolleyes:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
listen to a music track that lasts 5 minutes. It can sound slow and dragging or it can sound vital and energetic, but it still only lasts 5 minutes...so the difference has nothing to do with speed pe se.
I believe it was Martin Colloms who coined the phrase, Pace, Rhythm and Timing, PRaT for short. Essentially this refers to how the music sounds. Does the drummer sound like he’s groovin’ or like he’s about to fall asleep? Does the bass sound vibrant and energetic and bop along to add real rhythmic drive, or does it sound like he’s being paid by the hour and just following the score. Pianos and guitar....do they bring over all the clever, tension building pauses and subtle phrasing, weaving magical interplay’s with the rhythm section or are they just following the sheet music? Is the music engaging your senses, making you tap your feet or bouncing you out of your chair or is it just leaving you unmoved? Even slow music can have subtle but powerful rhythmic drive and energy.
In my vocabulary, the opposite of ‘fast’ in this context isn’t ‘slow’......rather its ‘boring’.
Of course, ‘Fast’ could also mean that you accidentally pressed the 45rpm button. :rolleyes:

Yes precisely.

djsina2

May 30, 2019

Exactly, so why would anyone use the term fast if you’re not talking about speed? We must rid this from the audiophile vocabulary. I suggest banning people who continue to use it.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Fast as Black as described by MB...

Attachments

• 74247224-85FD-4104-B2C6-B54D13C1E17A.jpeg
    74247224-85FD-4104-B2C6-B54D13C1E17A.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 4

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Quite a red herring as that was the not the point at all. It is a subjective term and people were trying to explain how it was used, not that the platter moves in 32.32 as opposed to 33.33, or that a song finishes faster.

It is not subjective if it can be measured. People do speak of "fast" rise times. Perhaps they can explain what they mean by this. Tima is asking if it can be measured or if it is perceptual, or both.

Driver movement makes more sense to me, but people do describe Spectral as being fast, and Pass as being slow. I don't know if that is their perception, or some measurements, or both that are indicating that.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Takes me back to the 90's and AS describing Spectral electronics as fast, it didn't make sense to me then and certainly doesn't today either. The only time I've used the terms fast or slow in audio context was in regards to speaker drivers.

david
For once i don’t agree with you David, when i went from older Krell FPB amps to MBL amps i was struck mainly by the increase in speed and bass agility. The top amp from back then all seem a little sluggish compared to current top amps. I have recently had increased focus on speed in general and TT speed in particular, thanks for all the help to you, Francisco and Bill Carlin in that quest. I have been surprised by how little a slight speed variation impact the music, compared to abundance of power and torque does. I vastly prefer a somewhat erratic high power motor to a very speed stabil smaller motor. o_O

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is not subjective if it can be measured. People do speak of "fast" rise times. Perhaps they can explain what they mean by this. Tima is asking if it can be measured or if it is perceptual, or both.

Driver movement makes more sense to me, but people do describe Spectral as being fast, and Pass as being slow. I don't know if that is their perception, or some measurements, or both that are indicating that.

Yes that can be measured, as well some technical details related to driver specs. Leading edge attack of cartridge and any reason for change of voicing between koetsu and vdh can be technically explained by someone. But from a listening perspective none of them will change in speed of song which is imo quite a silly point to bring In.

Pass is slow, and spectral is fast. By that alone I am not saying one is better than the other. Those who don’t like spectral will argue the speed comes at a cost of truncation of note, decay, or whatever, but those are separate points to be discussed for or against a component. I like Tannoy, but they are slow. And there could be faster speakers I don't like. But when you listen to spectral, you do get the feeling of speed. The fastest I know is the AER when run with extremely low watt amps like Mayer 46, with Vyger red sparrow, and yamamura. There are so many inner inflections and nuances so music is moving fast. We are getting the impact at more frequent intervals is the best way to put it..It slows down with higher watt amps, with pivot, or with other carts.

In Tang's system, the vdh sounds faster than the other carts. Of course the LP doesn't run faster for one cart. It is a descriptive phrase, and while listening, easy to relate to instead of trying to be difficult. Some Woofers or panels do start and stop fast, but as I mentioned in an earlier email, apart from the speaker, the amp shouldn't be under driving it or over gripping it, then you lose the speed

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Many here have described it pretty well. Unfettered rapid dynamic rise and fall times without sidebands, overshoots, undershoots or lags, especially in the upper midrange and high frequencies, seem to create a subjective sense of speed.

I am not so sure that damping is the same thing, because one might presume that damping could also remove information, creating 'false' speed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Many here have described it pretty well. Unfettered rapid dynamic rise and fall times without sidebands, overshoots, undershoots or lags, especially in the upper midrange and high frequencies, seem to create a subjective sense of speed.

I am not so sure that damping is the same thing, because one might presume that damping could also remove information, creating 'false' speed.

Well with damping you could also feel choked, like it is not moving

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
I've done some simple measurements on rise times of cheap department store speakers. As long as they weren't pushed past their limits they reproduced the leading edge of transient signals I made for them with near perfection. It was the trailing edge where things took time to settle down. I think "fast" can perhaps refer to how quickly the speaker can stop. I've been trying to understand what it is that I like so much about horns. I was told originally that they can reproduce steep wavefronts. But my cheap speaker measurement showed the little direct radiators produce perfectly steep wavefronts at moderate volume. Horns don't necessarily settle down that quickly because they have mouth / throat and compression chamber reflections. But I perceive them as "fast" sounding. I'm starting to suspect that the delay time between the sound first reaching my ears and then the first room reflections has something to do with it. Looking at a 1 second steady 500 hz tone, I see that at the listening position it's volume is all over the place. It starts off quickly reaching full volume, and then starts tapering off as some cancellation reflections come in, and then gets louder again as more reinforcing reflections arrive later. That's adding dynamic detail to the signal reaching my ears that isn't really in the recording. I did not see such a dramatic effect with wide dispersion direct radiators.
Listening to acoustic instruments live they never sound "fast" to me. I would describe them as bold, vivid, and rich, detailed and free from electro mechanical transducer effects. I'm tempted to compare the audio speed effect to the sharpening effect in a picture. I like properly applied sharpening. It compensates for the lack of resolution and 3d depth to some effect and just generally looks good to me, like an artistic effect. The real world never looks sharpened. Just smooth and detailed.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbeau

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
For once i don’t agree with you David, when i went from older Krell FPB amps to MBL amps i was struck mainly by the increase in speed and bass agility. The top amp from back then all seem a little sluggish compared to current top amps. I have recently had increased focus on speed in general and TT speed in particular, thanks for all the help to you, Francisco and Bill Carlin in that quest. I have been surprised by how little a slight speed variation impact the music, compared to abundance of power and torque does. I vastly prefer a somewhat erratic high power motor to a very speed stabil smaller motor. o_O

This time it's the chicken before the egg, your speaker's drivers moving faster and with more control using more powerful electronics!

david

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing