What has been your best component upgrade?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Can't stop at one sorry.

1) Koda 15ex
2) Lampi Pac with 242
3) Stage 3 Concepts Cerberus Speaker Cables

Reactions: 5kywalker

Republicoftexas69

LessLoss Echoes End Reference DAC,
LessLoss Classic Power Cords,
LessLoss 640X Fire Walls.
AH X200.
Room Treatments.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
walking up the chain => improving my analog source

arrived at Invictus jr level, looking forward to the end : AF0?, OMA? ??

Reactions: hogen

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
My system is vinyl-only. Excluding speakers and room treatments, upgrading my turntable to a Kuzma Stabi R/4Point 11/Etsuro Urushi Cobalt from a TW Acustic Raven One/Graham Phantom/Kiseki Purple Heart got me to the point that I worry any changes from the current setup are more likely to do harm than good.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Whilst i could happily take some of my equipment with me into the after-life, a handful of rare tube upgrades have given some wonderful improvements.

Reactions: Bobvin

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Excluding room & speakers, the following made a sudden and impressive difference:
- Trying an aftermarket interconnect cable
- Using an AC filter on digital sources (made to order)
- Absolute Epsilon dac

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Can I go way back to a system less that $50K? OK, how about 1995 when I borrowed an audio grade power cable from Bay Area Audio I said would make no difference. It didn't go back. Now I have >$10000 in audio cables. Tough hobby.

knotscott

Sep 26, 2023
Rochester, NY
Tough to narrow it down to just one. There have been a few notable steps forward, but no single earth shattering game changers. The change from Merlin speakers to my current Sterling Acoustics speakers was significant. Switching from a Hafler preamp to my current Lazarus tube preamp was another noteworthy upgrade, as was the switch from a Distech LS2 solid state amp to my Dynaco 70s. The addition of the VTA driver boards to the Dyna amps was also a solid upgrade all around. The addition of the Nagaoka MP500 was also a milestone.

Once things get to a certain level, every small change is fairly apparent, so it becomes a matter of tailoring things to suit my preferences.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Best component upgrade. That's a tough one as I go back nearly 6 decades.

Early on I might say the Transporter, makers of the Squeezebox 3. Big leap.
Later on the Pass Labs X350.5
Still later the Lindemann Musicbook DSD25. That was huge.
And in recent times the Allnic D10000 DAC. I've written about that in this forum.

Honorable mention goes to Oppo products. I still use the BDP105 in my HT setup.

Reactions: Audiofreak71

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I think the biggest upgrade I‘ve heard in a while in my system was going to tube amplification but I didn’t fully realize its potential until I I got all my tube gear on proper isolation platforms .. when I did that then some of the other changes I’ve made became even bigger, like my recent acquisition of MIT MA-X SHD speaker cables .. WOW! :cool:

George

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
For me the switch from SS to tube amps was huge but I freely admit that I had made some poor choices choosing relatively expensive but poor performing ss amps.

After that it has been the DAC. I'm digital and the DAC is IMHO, the key to the system. Everything else is just tweeks.

Jerry

Reactions: Zappadaddy

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
For me the switch from SS to tube amps was huge but I freely admit that I had made some poor choices choosing relatively expensive but poor performing ss amps.

After that it has been the DAC. I'm digital and the DAC is IMHO, the key to the system. Everything else is just tweeks.

Jerry
Aside from the speakers, the DAC could be the most important component in one's system. But vinyl as a source is just as important. I feel it's harder to get there with vinyl as there's so much to learn from my experience. I'm not proficient with vinyl setup but feel I lucked out with my Rega P10/Allnic H5500. Good synergy.

That being said there's a battle going on in my main system between my tube integrated and my SS amp. It's bloody.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
No question my Verizon LG ThinQ V60. Essentially transparent.

• Wow
Reactions: Rexp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing