What ethernet cables are members using?

Network Acoustics

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2022
UK
www.networkacoustics.com
Seems to me that folks that are using Shunyata Alpha or higher-spec Ethernet cables won't/don't need a Muon filter since their inline C-Mode filters perform the same function of removing/attenutating EMI/RFI noise that the Muon filter does.

From DOEEET 2.0: "Usually, EMI/RFI noise is common mode noise, so the solution to all but eliminate unwanted high frequencies with an EMI filter, either as a separate device, or embedded in circuit boards."

Shunyata web site C-Mode filter module description:

Hi There sorry to but into the conversation. Just to let you know we do use common mode chokes in our ENO Filters, but not in our MUON or MUON Pro Filters which use our proprietary filtering technology :)

3rdRock

Sep 11, 2018
Nashville, TN
Hi There sorry to but into the conversation. Just to let you know we do use common mode chokes in our ENO Filters, but not in our MUON or MUON Pro Filters which use our proprietary filtering technology :)
So... would there be any gained benefit to using both filters inline (ENO > MUON > DAC) ?

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
@Network Acoustics Maybe you can outline just some information on your filtering approach, as most of the time people mix up any „Ethernet filtering“ into one, like I heard just recently with the new iFi LAN iSilencer.

Network Acoustics

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2022
UK
www.networkacoustics.com
@Network Acoustics Maybe you can outline just some information on your filtering approach, as most of the time people mix up any „Ethernet filtering“ into one, like I heard just recently with the new iFi LAN iSilencer.

@jasond to answer your question and following on from my previous post, we do use common-mode chokes in our ENO Filter, implemented in an a way which find effective, but this approach is limited in how far it can go as it will also attenuate the Ethernet signal, and too much filtering means no Ethernet signal.

The proprietary filtering modules, combined with the conductors and other materials used in our MUON and MUON Pro filters, provides individual filtering to each of the 4 (in 100mb/s designs) or 8 cores (1gb/s designs), in order to more accurately target just high frequency (RFI) interference, and to prevent it from entering the ground plane of the streamer and DAC :)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The proprietary filtering modules, combined with the conductors and other materials used in our MUON and MUON Pro filters, provides individual filtering to each of the 4 (in 100mb/s designs) or 8 cores (1gb/s designs), in order to more accurately target just high frequency (RFI) interference, and to prevent it from entering the ground plane of the streamer and DAC :)
I’ve read only positive comments about your filters. Thanks for jumping in to share more details.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I’ve read only positive comments about your filters. Thanks for jumping in to share more details.
To add another positive of the Muon Pro:
I have not before had any such upgrade devices such as switches, routers, filters in my system until adding the Muon last week between a Mesh Node and my Antipodes K50 server. The improvement was immediate throughout the frequency range = a keeper.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
@Network Acoustics tell us a bit about your upcoming switch. What’s it do that is unique or the design focus ?

And are you still of the opinion that switches prefer a high quality smps rather than a lps? I have found that myself.

Network Acoustics

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2022
UK
www.networkacoustics.com
@Network Acoustics tell us a bit about your upcoming switch. What’s it do that is unique or the design focus ?

And are you still of the opinion that switches prefer a high quality smps rather than a lps? I have found that myself.

Hi Sorry for the slow response and to answer your last question, yes we're still big fans of SMPS with networking devices. A good switch-mode will give you all the benefits of lower noise floor, but without the loss of dynamics that seem to come with LPS when used in certain applications. Its hard to give and absolute definitive one is better than the other answer because implementation and design of the power management within each device varies. On the subject of our new Switch, we are looking at a Late May/early June launch. Other than that i'm really sorry but i cant give you anymore details right now but we will be releasing more information when we get a bit closer to the launch. :cool:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Hi Sorry for the slow response and to answer your last question, yes we're still big fans of SMPS with networking devices. A good switch-mode will give you all the benefits of lower noise floor, but without the loss of dynamics that seem to come with LPS when used in certain applications. Its hard to give and absolute definitive one is better than the other answer because implementation and design of the power management within each device varies. On the subject of our new Switch, we are looking at a Late May/early June launch. Other than that i'm really sorry but i cant give you anymore details right now but we will be releasing more information when we get a bit closer to the launch. :cool:
The problem with SMPS is they permit the passage of high-source impedance leakage current which causes threshold jitter and concomitantly, timing problems with digital source content. In my experience, the impact of SMPS is clearly audible. My recommendation is to read this white paper by UpTone engineer, John Swenson:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
The problem with SMPS is they permit the passage of high-source impedance leakage current which causes threshold jitter and concomitantly, timing problems with digital source content. In my experience, the impact of SMPS is clearly audible. My recommendation is to read this white paper by UpTone engineer, John Swenson:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

I have been using LPM upgrades for over a decade on many devices, including Uptone's own JS-2. While this rule about SMPS is generally correct for digital devices such as DAC's and streamers, I was surprised to find on switches the iFi's X and Elite SMPS was better than the JS-2. Hans Beekhuyzen also mentioned finding the same thing, he theorizes its something to do with the high speed nature of the switching chips in network gear.

This result could have just been specific to my network setup, but this experience halted my bias against SMPS, or at least the lower noise ones made by iFi.

Reactions: TRHH and jasond

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
@agisthos I experienced the same. The iPower Elite is an outstanding SMPS. Regarding LPS I‘d recommend a Farad Super with upgraded fuse and Furutech inlet.

Reactions: Rocoa

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
While this rule about SMPS is generally correct for digital devices such as DAC's and streamers, I was surprised to find on switches the iFi's X and Elite SMPS was better than the JS-2. Hans Beekhuyzen also mentioned finding the same thing, he theorizes its something to do with the high speed nature of the switching chips in network gear.
Switching mode supplies have the potential to be superior than linear supplies for digital devices providing that they are done right. Antipodes provides one example of them being done right in their Oladra.

Reactions: MusicTraveler

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Not wanting to go off-topic though this is really important. No matter if SMPS or LPS, get a power conditioner like Audioquest Niagara 1200 and up - and every single connected device will perform better.

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Ethernet Cable - Unbalanced Ground - “Floating” Shield

It seems that more and more cable manufacturers are using asymmetric grounding in Ethernet cables (asymmetric drain wire). I believe it's called "floating' shield".

Here, one end of the cable is connected to the ground point, so that unwanted noise (noise-reducing), which comes in either from connected components or from the outside, is diverted towards the ground point.

The ungrounded, opposite end of the cable comes with a "floating" shield that has no electrical connection to the connector plug. In this way, unwanted noise should not be transmitted to the downstream devices.

1680061537072.png

Late last year, Melco also launched a cable with a “Floating” shield.

"The C100 benefits from the cable's asymmetric grounding, where one end of the cable is connected to the ground point. According to Melco, this shunts unwanted noise, either external or from connected equipment, in a direction toward the ground point (denoted by a Melco logo on the connector plug) and thus does not disturb the sensitive signal transmission."

I myself have no experience with “floating” shielding, but I would be happy to hear about your experiences/opinions

Torben

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
@TRHH

I just received my Melco C100 in the mail a few hours ago. I got one specifically to test this asymmetric ground theory. Will try it later tonight.

But the chart posted above seems to be the reverse of how I planned to connect it. Shouldn’t the grounded end be at the source, and ungrounded end the destination?

Reactions: jasond

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
@agisthos - I was told by a dealer of AIM, that "grounded" should be on the streamer/DAC etc. and "not grounded" on the switch.

Torben

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Well straight out the box the Melco C100 is much better than the Nordost Heimdall 2 ethernet. Its not subtle. I was just hoping for an improvement over the Blue Jeans ethernet given the relative low price of the C100, so this is a welcome surprise.

A qualifier... I am just using a basic Netgear switch, not an audiophile switch. I suspected in this setup some king of noise isolation, such as the asymmetric floating ground of the C100, would be a benefit. If I had a higher quality audiophile switch with more advanced isolation perhaps this ground drain topology the Melco has would be negated and the Nordost could be preferred.

But as it stands this is an awesome improvement for little outlay, as it will be a while before I can afford 2x Muon Pro's.

I connected this cable with ground (the connector with Melco label) on the switch end, as Melco suggests. And this is how every other 'one end floated' cable I have had (such as asymmetric floated power cables) is connected. When only one end is connected to ground/shield, noise will drain that way, so you want it to drain AWAY from the direction your downstream signal is travelling. I am open to trying it the other way though (as Torben's dealer suggested) and will get around to testing that.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing