What ethernet cables are members using?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thanks again, Tom. Not all filters are bad, what matters is that the filter doesn’t do harm to the analog domain. Shunyata has a proven track record in this area. It sounds like Muon is another company doing things right.

I will never in my lifetime purchase another networking product that maxes out at 100 mbps, so the Muon Pro is not for me, unfortunately.

Good morning, Kenny. I think there is a bit of confusion here. To clarify your statement that I have highlighted in bold - There are 3 models of the Muon filter. The Eno, the standard Muon and then the Muon Pro. The standard Muon version operates up to 100 MB/s, and the Muon Pro version operates up to 1 GB/s.

My friend has the standard Muon with the Muon Streaming cable. I use the Muon Pro but in place of their streaming cable, that's where I have the Shunyata Omega. You do not need to use their (Muon's) streaming cable in order for the units to work. A standard E cable of your choice is all you need. We both took advantage of upgrading that aspect though, albeit different routes.

@Puma Cat - I use all three of the Shunyata cables (Venom, Alpha and the Omega) in my streaming setup. I will also attest that they are some very nice cables. My ears definitely like what they are hearing.

Tom

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The standard Muon version operates up to 100 MB/s, and the Muon Pro version operates up to 1 GB/s.
My mistake. Thanks for setting me straight.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
@treitz3
Maybe your revelatory experience with the Muon Pro is because you combine it with the Shunyata Omega cable also?

I would like to know how far off the Muon Pro cable is compared to this. If you buy the Muon Pro as a package deal you get the pro ethernet cable for only an extra $600 USD, substantially less than the 3k needed for an Omega.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
@agisthos - Since I never ordered the Muon cable, I do not have a way of doing a direct comparison. Sorry, but I cannot answer you inquiry or comment because I have no direct experience.

After hearing my friends rig (Standard Muon with the Muon cable), the end result does mimic mine and they do the same thing.

It would be hard to say what the differences are because even though our streaming rigs are similar, we both took different approaches to achieve our goals, use different cables/gear and even different DAC's.

Looking back, I wish I had gotten the Muon Pro before the Shunyata's, as I might not have needed what I have but the combination is wonderful to listen too. The amount of micro and macro dynamics that is extracted is stunning, as well as the texture on both male and female voices. This, throughout the entire frequency range. Of course, much of that (but certainly not all of it) comes from the Lampizator DAC with a separate PS.

Tom

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
@ Puma Cat
Thank you for your very detailed depiction of the pitfalls of noise and why Ethernet cables do matter. I sent you a private Email to hopefully discuss further offline.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I too can confirm that the MUON Pro steaming system is oustanding. Before that I had the EtherRegen connected to my cable modem via the Sonore Optical Module Deluxe V2 with Finisar SFPs and a Farad Super3 which Furutech inlet and SR Purple. But the Muon Pro was better - so as mentioned here it filters various tyoes of noise not just like some as the fiber media connection does.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I too can confirm that the MUON Pro steaming system is oustanding. Before that I had the EtherRegen connected to my cable modem via the Sonore Optical Module Deluxe V2 with Finisar SFPs and a Farad Super3 which Furutech inlet and SR Purple. But the Muon Pro was better - so as mentioned here it filters various tyoes of noise not just like some as the fiber media connection does.
Interesting. Very interesting!!
If i understand correct you replaced the ER/Sonore with the Muon Pro. Did you try keeping just the ER with the Super3 in the Muon setup?
And have you tried using the Sonore Optical together with the Muon?
I guess Muon is worth a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Yes tried all scenarios :)
I went for the scenario with just the ER running on the Super3 and no Sonore OM - this sounds even more natural and energetic.
Network acoustics also recommends having a good switch in your network setup. So the ER is a good one, though there are definitely better options out there too. But so far really very satisfied with the improvement the MUON Pro brought to my system.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I just recieved the Muon Pro an kudos to Rich for support and expediency in delivery - next day from UK to USA by FedEx.
The filter is between the Node(LAN system) and server.
Question: I leave the server ON but the DAC (tube) OFF so is the filter breaking in as the signal is constantly going through the filter to the server which is ON?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: jasond

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I just recieved the Muon Pro an kudos to Rich for support and expediency in delivery - next day from UK to USA by FedEx.
The filter is between the Node(LAN system) and server.
Question: I leave the server ON but the DAC (tube) OFF so is the filter breaking in as the signal is constantly going through the filter to the server which is ON?
Thanks in advance
Congrats! What are you running on the Node?

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Congrats! What are you running on the Node?
Streaming - it's mostly what I do, i.e. classical radio stations as Swiss Classics, Czecky Rozhlas, Mother Earth Classics, Qobuz, et al.
My question would be the same if wired direct from router but stringing the cable would be very difficult in this home therefor a LAN.
Thanks

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Ya should work fine for break-in. You can also check at the server in the resource management / monitoring what the bandwidth is, so the current data traffic.

Reactions: treitz3

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Ya should work fine for break-in. You can also check at the server in the resource management / monitoring what the bandwidth is, so the current data traffic.
Thank you @jasond - this I will do to satisfy whether the server is actually handling a signal from filter

Reactions: jasond

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
@dbeau - Sorry for the delay in answering. I did not see your post until now.

Since my DAC was designed to remain on 24/7, I just kept the entire rig on and playing (except for the tubed pre when I was away for an extended period) the entire time during the break in. I also was curious (my mistake) at what the changes were with the Muon Pro, as it was breaking in.....without any other warm up influence besides that of the pre (which is minimal in my system).

You should be able to just keep the streamer on and in constant play mode, as the signal will be passing through the Muon the entire time. Just check to see that it is still playing on occasion, or you will extend the break in time.

I also thought my shipment was fast. I can't recall how many days it took but it was much shorter than expected. With that said, I didn't do an overnight shipment. Congrat's on the Muon Pro.

Tom

Reactions: jasond and dbeau

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I had a great conversation with Rob from Network Acoustics today. I just ordered the Muon Pro Streaming cables today. We also talked in detail about their new state-of-the-art switch which comes out in June. Looks like I will be buying that also.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I've tried the Muon and Waversa filters. They both have a similar sound.

I've also tried Shunyata alpha, and after the honeymoon period is over, if you take it out, you can definitely hear what the filter is doing.

Every audiophile ethernet cable I've tried has a sound signature.

In any case, nothing has been able touch Vertere HB.

The only question is whether the Vertere cable with mesh with your analog cables.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I had a great conversation with Rob from Network Acoustics today. I just ordered the Muon Pro Streaming cables today. We also talked in detail about their new state-of-the-art switch which comes out in June. Looks like I will be buying that also.
I'm a little jealous! Will be very interested to hear how this works out for you.

Reactions: Willgolf

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Seems to me that folks that are using Shunyata Alpha or higher-spec Ethernet cables won't/don't need a Muon filter since their inline C-Mode filters perform the same function of removing/attenutating EMI/RFI noise that the Muon filter does.

From DOEEET 2.0: "Usually, EMI/RFI noise is common mode noise, so the solution to all but eliminate unwanted high frequencies with an EMI filter, either as a separate device, or embedded in circuit boards."

Shunyata web site C-Mode filter module description:

Last edited:

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hello,

I recently bought the Crystal Cable DaVinci Ethernet, which is the newest release from Crystal. I have been using it for a few weeks now.

Today to get a handle on the sound, I replace the ethernet cable from my music server with Vertere HB to the switch, then from the switch to CH C1.2 dac/pre went the Da Vinci, it was oblivious that the Vertere HB was not transparent enough and a touch flat and bloated (please read this fully to understand).

Then I replaced the Da Vinci with the Dalby Meda, the sound cleaned up a bit and became tighter (with Vertere HB still into the switch from the server). So with the Vertere HB in the system the Meda was slightly preferred.

Then the Vertere HB got replaced with the Da Vinci, with Meda still into C1.2 a much better sound, but a fraction too clean And lacking just a wisper of emotion. The i swapped the cables round, with Meda from server to switch and from the switch to C1.2 the Da Vinci. Now it was a fraction less clear but it had quite a bit more emotion and a hinit of warmth that the Meda lacked. So this was my Finial setting, very happy to use it in this configuration.

Sorry to say Vertere HB no longer cuts the mustard in my system, before people jump down my throat, i was the first one in the world to practically buy and use the Vertere HB ethernet, which if I recall correctly must have been about 6 years ago, and I posted my findings here, many years ago.

so in a very simple summary :

Vertere HB - good sound, if you have a very, very clean system (say a touch sterile) and need to put a bit of emotion into the system

Dalby Meda, if you need transparency, cleanest sound, good neutrality - very good cable

Crystal Cable - Da Vinci, very good, clean sound, a fraction less than Meda, but with a bit of natural warmth (not coloured), good transparency and very good emotion, just a hint of warmth. Very good choice overall.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello,

I recently bought the Crystal Cable DaVinci Ethernet, which is the newest release from Crystal. I have been using it for a few weeks now.

Today to get a handle on the sound, I replace the ethernet cable from my music server with Vertere HB to the switch, then from the switch to CH C1.2 dac/pre went the Da Vinci, it was oblivious that the Vertere HB was not transparent enough and a touch flat and bloated (please read this fully to understand).

Then I replaced the Da Vinci with the Dalby Meda, the sound cleaned up a bit and became tighter (with Vertere HB still into the switch from the server). So with the Vertere HB in the system the Meda was slightly preferred.

Then the Vertere HB got replaced with the Da Vinci, with Meda still into C1.2 a much better sound, but a fraction too clean And lacking just a wisper of emotion. The i swapped the cables round, with Meda from server to switch and from the switch to C1.2 the Da Vinci. Now it was a fraction less clear but it had quite a bit more emotion and a hinit of warmth that the Meda lacked. So this was my Finial setting, very happy to use it in this configuration.

Sorry to say Vertere HB no longer cuts the mustard in my system, before people jump down my throat, i was the first one in the world to practically buy and use the Vertere HB ethernet, which if I recall correctly must have been about 6 years ago, and I posted my findings here, many years ago.

so in a very simple summary :

Vertere HB - good sound, if you have a very, very clean system (say a touch sterile) and need to put a bit of emotion into the system

Dalby Meda, if you need transparency, cleanest sound, good neutrality - very good cable

Crystal Cable - Da Vinci, very good, clean sound, a fraction less than Meda, but with a bit of natural warmth (not coloured), good transparency and very good emotion, just a hint of warmth. Very good choice overall.
Dear Jambo : Big congratulations!

I think this is the very first review of the Crystalconnect Art Series Da Vinci ethernet cable which must be the very top audiophile ethernet cable in the market currently.

Thanks Jambo for sharing your experience with us!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing