What "Bugs" you with your gear?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
We all talk about the positives of our gear, the sound, the looks, the operational aspects, the value---well not so much the value:D, the quality, etc.
However, I suspect that we all have gear that has a negative issue that 'irks' us a little, or a lot:(....in my instance it's the biasing procedure of my ARC D series amp:(. Basically, it is a task left for a tech and definitely not for the faint of heart or general home user:eek:. This aspect to me is a MAJOR failing of the design and one, which of I wasn't so in love with the sound, could disqualify the amp for me in a potential purchase decision.

What piece of gear do you own/did you own, that has an issue/design failure that "bugs" you and why?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Nothing bugs me with my gear. I have finally reached the point of audio bliss with my components, connecting wires and room. I do wish my Studer A810 was 30 years younger though...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What "bugs" me?

All my girlfriends don't really care 'bout my electronica (gear).

They care more 'bout some other type of gear.

I feel underappreciated, not fully resolute, not revolutionized, incomplete...

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No remote control. At least I get some exercise. Yeah right :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Also convenience , walking to that turntablee every time , and handling the records , drop the needle that kind of stuff.
I need to improve the bassoutput a little bit more (more extension/biggercabinet ) and also increase the woofer efficiency a little(different type ) plus i want a stiffer membrane than paper for the bass.
And i want to get rid of mdf

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No remote control. At least I get some exercise. Yeah right :D

I'm the opposite...I hate freagin' remotes. Guess I'm really Old School!;):p

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Since I have tube pre and an SS amplifier? Having to wait until the pre is ready with the B+ power up in order to turn on the amplifier without fear of damaging the input. Very minor delay, I know but it still bugs me nonetheless. The single most thing that bugs me really has nothing to do with the gear, while at the same time, it has everything to do with the gear. That being having to unplug it all when Mother Nature is throwing a light show. Living in the Carolinas, this happens often. Especially in the spring and summer months. Last summer it got real bad, almost daily with the severe storms.

Not much else bugs me. I guess I'm blessed.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The fact that everything, but everything matters! Fighting this "problem" over 25 years or so has got me down at times, but the acquisition of knowledge, in hindsight, has made it worthwhile.

And the fact that the better the system works, the more one little thing out of whack knocks the SQ on the head: there is so little margin of error.

At this precise moment, that it is still too susceptible to wireless phone RF interference: no crackling or obvious noises, it just degrades, dulls the SQ ...

Frank

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Davey-If you don't have me on ignore, I share your pain with regards to the D-70 as we have talked about numerous times. Anyone who owns the VT-100 series amps also have big time complaints with the bias scheme. As for me, what bugs me is when the gear breaks. Another thing that bugs me is when you have different sources that invert phase and it can only be fixed at the speaker terminals.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Equipment with sharp, pointed edges like my amps. Can't tell you how many times I've gouged my shins. Ouch!

Heavy AC cords, ICs and speaker cables. They always bend the hell out of your connectors! You also better have a very tight, lock fit at the plug/receptacle end or the connection will dangle no matter what you do.

Speakers that kitties like to climb!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Equipment with sharp, pointed edges like my amps. Can't tell you how many times I've gouged my shins. Ouch!

Heavy AC cords, ICs and speaker cables. They always bend the hell out of your connectors! You also better have a very tight, lock fit at the plug/receptacle end or the connection will dangle no matter what you do.

Speakers that kitties like to climb!

How about a significant other that steps on said heavy ICs and breaks your RCA jacks on your amps??

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Lack of visual feedback from the remote control. I use active systems with preamp and amps built in. There is no visual feedback for the volume (not much of a problem) or even the inputs. My consolation is that it is pretty clear the manufacturer skipped this, and a few other things, to put all the money into the sound and deliver a product that hits way above its class.

Tim

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
a few pet peeves...

No phase inversion switch or capability either in preamp or digital domain (DAC). Too many recordings are out of phase, why is this not considered essential?

No mute switch on a preamp. I used the source selector on a CJ preamp to mute the phono input while changing records or changing out interconnects - it’s not convenient. by contrast ARC has always provided a mute switch.

Lack of remote volume control – I cant live with out it.

Preamp gain adjustability. All mfrs should provide gain adjustments in their line stages and I would include input sensitivity in power amps. Some mfrs will include dip switches or jumpers to do this. Gain matching is so crucial in any system, and they’re usually out of whack with varying speakers sensitivity all the way back to front end gain that’s available in your phono setup. You can’t optimize the overall s/n of your system without this.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
another peeve that has nothing to do with me but ive noticed it in videos...why oh why do some 'philes drop their LPs on a spinning platter - whats up with that? is this a race, whats the hurry. watch the greek audiophile vid, a guy drops a heavy stablizer ring on a spinning record!!

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
another peeve that has nothing to do with me but ive noticed it in videos...why oh why do some 'philes drop their LPs on a spinning platter - whats up with that? is this a race, whats the hurry. watch the greek audiophile vid, a guy drops a heavy stablizer ring on a spinning record!!
Possibly, just possibly, he's found out that the bearing takes a long time to stabilise, for the lubricant to get to optimium temperature, etc. The first OTT system I heard in the 80's used a Goldmund Reference that was always spinning. Why, I asked? Because, the owner said, it took several days to optimise, so it was left running 24/7!!

Frank

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
frank, ive heard that before but from someone that values his software above all else - and you should too - then i can live with the very remote chance that a continualty spinning deck might provide - imagined or not - a very slight improvement in sound. but thats just me :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Warm-up time!

My amp starts sounding decent after 15 minutes, but ready until 40-45 minutes where bass gets rounder, fuller and soundstage goes 1mt behind the speakers. I need to call my son some days to turn it on while driving back home....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing