What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Richard Wagner: Der fliegende Holländer
Catherine Naglestad, Juha Uusitalo, Netherlands Opera Chorus,
Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, Hartmut Haenchen

Reactions: Manesp

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
DSD64

A disc I would play someone who wanted to understand the difference between DSD and other Hi-res formats. Just stunningly natural sound.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Bach - Six Sonatas Michèle Auclair
Bach-Sonates-3_m.jpg

Reactions: Manesp

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Reactions: accwai

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
L. van Beethoven: String Quartet No. 13 in B flat major, Op. 130

Last edited:
Reactions: rando

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
William Lawes (1602-1645): Fantasia-Suites for two violins, bass viol and organ

Reactions: accwai

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
L. van Beethoven: String Quartet in E minor, Op. 59 no. 2

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
image.jpg
Well, what do you know? Look who landed on my Challen Piano again: Erich Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. LM- 2701 RCA Victor RED SEAL DYNAGROOVE from 1964.

Schumann / Symphony No. 4. Robert Schumann. A colossal composer. Underrated? You think? Yeah...he is. And I am certain I am not the lone soldier in that line of reasoning, if you like.

Beethoven / Leonore Overture No. 3? ...hmmm.
I am confident I would be more partial to listening to maybe Anton Bruckner ( Symphony No.7 in E Major).

Heck, I would favour Emmylou Harris twanging out 'Amarillo' over Mr. Beethoven. Caught his act a number of times, and don't get it at all. Something about counterpoint. Missing in action in his composition(s). Whatever...I never listen to the guy anyways. Plus it my personal assessment, only.

And, you know what?

I reckon good old Jerry Goldsmith ( Mr. Academy Award for Best Original Score, 1977) was listening to Erich Leinsdorf and the BSO do their thing on this superior LP or live at Tanglewood or in Beantown, who knows. Who cares really.

What displeases ( a gentle word for an etiquette-bound high quality forum like WTB...and a half-Quaker lad like me will abide, of course) me though is crass plagiarism:

Ginastera, Concerto for Piano and Orchestra ( 1961). Once more, Erich Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony. Joao Carlos Martins, Pianist.

I posted ( and I am paraphrasing) on this fun panel that I picked up a cool record from a used vinyl store. My perfect pitch best friend ( a female) was with me at this store that day say 6 months ago. She turned to me and said " Planet of the Apes." I said nothing at first. Later at my home I tuned in to this recording on my newest turntable: fluance RT85. Even with my regular ears...I hear " Planet of the Apes."

So I say, a few days later, on this special WTB: here is the LP, and " how fast can you say Planet of the Apes?" I get a like, ( one member...a well known and a smart, smart member...I read all their posts). Perhaps I am getting a quasi-agreement on plagiarism; perhaps I am not. I don't really care. However, I dislike theft.

Finally. I call my first cousin in Laurel Canyon ( the " in the industry" folks, and Southern California residents will know that part of the Hollywood Hills), tell him an abridged version of this. He is a BIG BIG BACH fan ( who isn't? ...let's get serious...this is the WTB Forum for the love of God). Laughing, he counters, " you are such a hillbilly ...what do you expect buddy? First Class Artists are First Class thieves"

My first cousin was a decent character actor. Older now though. He was in Ferris Bueller's Day Off (pretty good role too, and is, of course, not one of the top three characters). Would not be right to reveal his name; and I would not under any conditions.

Maybe it is me -- I loathe cheaters.

Last edited:

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
L. van Beethoven: String Quartet in C major, Op. 59 no. 3

Reactions: rando

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing