What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Chopin: Concerto No. 2, Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise Brillante
Artur Rubinstein, Symphony of the Air, Alfred Wallenstein

Grand polonaise here is the full, with orchestra version
Grand
Chopin: Concerto No. 2, Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise Brillante
Artur Rubinstein, Symphony of the Air, Alfred Wallenstein

Grand polonaise here is the full, with orchestra version

Accwai ...you got a Grand Slam for the obvious ...
And your Comment gets it done for this remarkable WTB Forum. Well done.

Reactions: NorthStar

rando

Sep 22, 2019

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
György Ligeti: Mechanical Music
Pierre Charial, Françoise Terrioux, Jürgen Hocker

Franz Liszt: Bagatelle sans tonalité S216a, c. 1885
Leslie Howard

An atonal piece to break the monotony... :)

Accwai ...you got a Grand Slam for the obvious ...
And your Comment gets it done for this remarkable WTB Forum. Well done.

Thanks! About that comment, these days it's actually more common to carry piano solo from Andante Spianato through to Grande Polonaise Brillante than having the orchestra join the second part. Like this:

And speaking of Chopin Competition, when Yundi Li was in Toronto not long after he started touring, he made a last minute juggle to delete Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise Brillante from his program. This freed the piece up for encore which brought the house down big time. A very calculated maneuver... :)

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have struggled to take the oboe quite as seriously since Peter Cook made the infamous Shirley plays the pink oboe joke.

That said the reed instruments are amongst the most seductive of all.

417AE71E-7123-4D01-A146-3C32E9A5CBC0.jpeg

Alexei Ogrintchouk is an extraordinary oboist. Both of his BIS albums of Bach and Mozart Oboe concertos are just full of the joy of life. Highly recommended. Currently listening to the Mozart. Just sublimely musical. No thinking, just feeling.

Reactions: NorthStar and rando

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Alexei Ogrintchouk is an extraordinary oboist. Both of his BIS albums of Bach and Mozart Oboe concertos are just full of the joy of life. Highly recommended. Currently listening to the Mozart. Just sublimely musical. No thinking, just feeling.
This one is fabulous:

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
[...] Alexei Ogrintchouk is an extraordinary oboist. Both of his BIS albums of Bach and Mozart Oboe concertos are just full of the joy of life. Highly recommended. Currently listening to the Mozart. Just sublimely musical. No thinking, just feeling.

Bach oboe concertos are musicologically rather dubious. So there would be some thinking in addition to just the feelings :) In any case, currently doing a bit of comparison between Bach's reconstructed oboe concertos against the extant sources, e.g.:

Bach: Oboe Concerto in D Minor, BWV 1059R/1 - Allegro
Céline Moinet, l'arte del mondo, Werner Ehrhardt

Bach: Geist und Seele wird verwirret, BWV 35/1 - Concerto
Juan de la Rubia, Freiburger Barockorchester, Gottfried von der Goltz

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
A rather unexpectedly well promoted student choir from the University of Oslo. This self released album celebrating 150 years in existence features soloists who are alumni that went on to form professional careers.

"Much in demand on the concert platform, Yngve (Soberg) recently performed Fauré’s Requiem with Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Mendelssohn’s Elijah with the Norwegian Radio Orchestra and the Carmina Burana with the Trondheim Symphony Orchestra."

Gabriel Faure
is one of my cherished composers...must have been special (for the lucky ones...) to have witnessed Yngve Soberg"s baritone delivery in Latin.

( I watched two UTUBBIES of Soberg doing his thing...Bravo ...all I can say.)

Living in North America makes Opera a challenge for me: languages...my German is weak ( but improving, I like to convince myself)...and learning Italian? ( who cares ...not gonna happen).

Cover Art piece (above) is OK too, BTW.

Reactions: rando

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Back to Beethoven the past couple of days:

Symphonies 3, 5, and 6

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Francesco Bartolomeo Conti (1682-1732)

Reactions: accwai

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Starting my Christmas listening early because this is just too good to wait - -

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
image.png
Nothing is immortal ...right?

Maybe my Uncle ( long gone...) knew something back in '52 or '53 when he bought this LP at Sears. Who knows ?

The record plays (...at least on my two best tables) like Day One! Cover is a small fraction below Near Mint.

ALL parts of the "piece" (love that word...) are there.

H.Arthur Brown ...what a lucky lad...Nadia Boulanger ...as an instructor.

I can't even fathom that...

Reactions: rando

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The Mendelssohn recordings were done in 2018 and released on Decca in 2019. Others too, I believe.

Ok, tanks Kal for dat. I was looking @ the "Archive" section and it stopped after March 2017 ...
? https://www.northstarconsult.nl/news

It's probably because they don't update their website regularly on all sections...or ...

But you are certainly right ...
1. https://www.spiritofturtle.com/product-category/download/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

2. https://www.spiritofturtle.com/shop/mendelssohn-concertos-for-two-pianos-download/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

3. https://www.highresaudio.com/en/alb...lssohn-concertos-for-two-pianos-mwv-o-5-and-6
_____

And the two selections beside the first ...
https://www.challengerecords.com/products/15682981665185
https://www.prestomusic.com/classic...t-no-1-op-25-academic-festival-overture-op-80

November 2019

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing