What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
The colorful orchestrations are reduced to black and white (quite literally!), but these pieces are enjoyable in their own right in these renditions. Superb playing and very good sound.

Reactions: NorthStar

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Luigi Boccherini: Symphonies, Vol. 1
Neues Berliner Kammerorchester, Michael Erxleben

Assuming you mean the Pandolfo Bach, yes. Very interesting graphics work. For a long time I was assuming it to be painting of a rose, but closer look shows otherwise. Now speaking of rose, being a photo person, this is my own attempt:

Thanks! It's been a rather hectic weekend... In any case, the thing about the Scarlatti sonatas is they cover extremely broad range of forms and styles. It's rather difficult to appreciate the breadth and depth without sampling a very large portion of the sonatas. Scott Ross was the first one to do the whole thing. Back then people believed it won't be done ever again. And they were completely wrong, there are many complete sets on harpsichord and piano now, and fortepiano too if I recall. And they don't all saying the same thing. For example, K.416 can turn from this:

Wow... After all these years, the Scott Ross box is still the overall simplest way to go through all Scarlatti sonatas in a reasonably authentic way. Just my personal opinion of course.

Bach Oboe Concertos... Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no surviving score for any Bach oboe concerto right? The album page on the Berlin Classics website says

But all of them, not just 1053, are listed as reconstructions (BWV 10xxR) in Rilling's Restored Oboe Concerti in the Hänssler Edition Bachakademie complete Bach set:

In fact, the most common Bach oboe concerto being performed now is BWV1060(R), which is mixed into many Bach violin concertos albums. And that one isn't in the Moinet album. Hmm...
Luigi Boccherini: Symphonies, Vol. 1
Neues Berliner Kammerorchester, Michael Erxleben

Assuming you mean the Pandolfo Bach, yes. Very interesting graphics work. For a long time I was assuming it to be painting of a rose, but closer look shows otherwise. Now speaking of rose, being a photo person, this is my own attempt:

Thanks! It's been a rather hectic weekend... In any case, the thing about the Scarlatti sonatas is they cover extremely broad range of forms and styles. It's rather difficult to appreciate the breadth and depth without sampling a very large portion of the sonatas. Scott Ross was the first one to do the whole thing. Back then people believed it won't be done ever again. And they were completely wrong, there are many complete sets on harpsichord and piano now, and fortepiano too if I recall. And they don't all saying the same thing. For example, K.416 can turn from this:

to this:

then to this:

Wow... After all these years, the Scott Ross box is still the overall simplest way to go through all Scarlatti sonatas in a reasonably authentic way. Just my personal opinion of course.

Bach Oboe Concertos... Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no surviving score for any Bach oboe concerto right? The album page on the Berlin Classics website says

But all of them, not just 1053, are listed as reconstructions (BWV 10xxR) in Rilling's Restored Oboe Concerti in the Hänssler Edition Bachakademie complete Bach set:

In fact, the most common Bach oboe concerto being performed now is BWV1060(R), which is mixed into many Bach violin concertos albums. And that one isn't in the Moinet album. Hmm...

Accwai... Oh yes ...hectic weekends -- or in my case hectic weeks ( 8 in 8 hrs meetings just yesterday) ..."hectic" time I am confident you might agree is a euphemism for every flipping moment ...and that is why I ventured over to this WTB forum one year ago ...where did that ( the 1, 12, 52, 365 ) go, huh? Yep...the carousel seems to be spinning one direction...and we all know it. However, some of us ...the lucky ones, I like to believe have discovered the near invisible energency exit door ...you know the one...marked " Classical Music and Art~Fine Art " in perfect printing smack right hand bottom corner ( and I am sure I noted in a post you are in Toronto, Ontario, Canada...( been there, enjoyed your city btw ) so you will know, I would expect, this painter ...no ...make that imho perhaps the greatest of the greats. Only way to describe their work ...mind blowing is just a euphemism. Period. Maybe our strong poster Northstar will concur...perhaps that person will concur...who cares anyway. Fine Arts ...fine arts ...whatever ...matter ...in my case, music & painting ...in your case, painting & music ( a simple guess). The win ...to me is we get it...in buckets and buckets and oh so many buckets of pure bliss...

Music time....

Having another "hectic weekend" Accwai? Guide your stylus into another world ...universe...
If you are are keen on ice dancing you will know who the Queen and King of the arena are ...and they showed up...leave that part of it there...the vinyl: RCA Victor, LM-1984, Red Seal, 1956, this version is one from your country...by far the best version I have allowed on my turntable. Charles Munch, Boston Symphony Orchestra, BOLERO...( thought I had a windfall ...for me...but one minor mediocrity ( I recognize this is an international forum and the plan is not to offend ...anybody ...esp. with this commercial artist who is not here to defend...and like I can do any better ...right ...in an alternate zenith ...plus as one of the true players once piped up " they make no statues of critics", Jean Sibelius ( paraphrase).

You'll know who my dream painter would have been...had to be ...would never happen ...this painter if you know his work, and from looking at your superior personal artwork, how could you not...

If this painter had shown up....and he wouldn't...from all reports he couldn't care less ... ( I me t this painter once for a hurried 33 seconds ...unbelievable...painter of painter ...living out in the sticks somewhere) I imagine in the perfect place this painter shows up.and just eats everybody's everybody's LUNCH. This painter's work I saw hung at a major gallery next to a Dali painting ...embarrassing for you know who...of course we all have opinions ....and what is wrong with that ...supposed to be ...

Needle down ... image.jpeg

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Franco Donatoni (1927-2000)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
His tone can be a little scratchy, but these are vibrant performances of Violin Concertos by Locatelli, Leclair, Telemann, Pisendel, and Tartini.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@ 6:17 Just beautiful. This is her first on vinyl.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
J. B. Bach, cousin of J. S. He worked within Telemann's sphere of influence and these works share kinship much more with that composer than the Bach clan. The music is pleasant/enjoyable rather than brilliant/profound. Performances and recording are excellent.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
On to volume 2 of these wonderful consort suites - -

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Luigi Boccherini: Symphonies
London Mozart Players, Matthias Bamert

From Chandos' Contemporaries of Mozart series. Boccherini was an Italian making his name in Spain, just like Scarlatti.

@ 6:17 Just beautiful. This is her first on vinyl.

:) This video came up in a RCM History 3 class early last year and a lively discussion on the tablet ensued. Posted it to the Song of the Day thread in Audiophile Style music forum shortly after:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...add-generation/?do=findComment&comment=793105

Interestingly Angela Hewitt also uses a tablet as of late. But she lays it flat on the piano and has a foot switch. So not nearly as blatant as how Yuja Wang does it.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Two years ago I saw Josh Bell in recital. I forgot who his pianist was (might have been Jeremy Denk), but he sat staring at his tablet and poking at it. Bell finally turned around and the pianist shrugged, picked up the tablet and walked off stage. Bell held up his paper score and said, "This never freezes." A minute or two later the pianist returned and the concert began. New isn't necessarily better.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Mr. Antonello acquired this 1736 (built at age 93, the year before he died) Stradivarius violin after his career as a musician had ended in favor of supporting his growing family by pursuing a career in life insurance. Mr. Arnstein, a professional pianist, plays the "Horowitz" Steinway during its tour of the country at the time of this recording in mid 1991. The years ago drop from 8+ hours practice a day is evident in the lack of fluid ease with only the hardest violin parts (on all of their releases). Yet I gladly listen to any of their self financed independent recordings.

Reactions: Manesp

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
new arrival today (3 discs, 3 hours 8 minutes) - -

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Didn't work for me--just a lot of soulless hammering. The sound is pretty thin, too. (At least it's easy to get rid of it on Qobuz!)

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Coming from having listened to some 13 or 14 Haydn symphonies over the past two weeks highlights, more than ever, the shocking originality of Beethoven's first effort in the genre:

L. van Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’m not sure that Arvo Part is a great composer in the sense that he could join the pantheon of the great classical composers however his music is still important.

There are other dissidents of the Soviet like Shostakovich that were both great composers who also wrote music full of meaning. But still there is a deep sense of feeling and also a mystery and longing communicated in Part’s work that is very much worth communing with. We are a judgemental lot music lovers... but sometimes in the telling of the story there is a simple great virtue.

It’s perhaps easier to be an activist who deals out in anger but harder perhaps to be an activist who just shows great compassion and shares with us in the pain. This recording has many variations on Part’s Fratres... I quite like them all though the wind octet is something else again.
9BE6AAAD-7C4C-4075-8A4E-497E649AEE94.jpeg

Last edited:

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Last edited:
Reactions: accwai

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Coming from having listened to some 13 or 14 Haydn symphonies over the past two weeks highlights, more than ever, the shocking originality of Beethoven's first effort in the genre:

L. van Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21
Agreed.

Reactions: andolink

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I’m not sure that Arvo Part is a great composer in the sense that he could join the pantheon of the great classical composers however his music is still important.

There are other dissidents of the Soviet like Shostakovich that were both great composers who also wrote music full of meaning. But still there is a deep sense of feeling and also a mystery and longing communicated in Part’s work that is very much worth communing with. We are a judgemental lot music lovers... but sometimes in the telling of the story there is a simple great virtue.

It’s perhaps easier to be an activist who deals out in anger but harder perhaps to be an activist who just shows great compassion and shares with us in the pain. This recording has many variations on Part’s Fratres... I quite like them all though the wind octet is something else again.
View attachment 58506

One of my favorite music composers.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing