What are the Top Horn Speakers in the World Today? Vox Olympian vs Avantgarde Trio vs ???

caesar

May 30, 2010
I had the Duo Mezzo's XD's. I don't know if Ked ever heard those? With the bass dsp I thought the bass/mid integration was excellent. My only issue was that I became tired of what I perceived as a slight horn coloration. I have no way of knowing, but I felt wood in the horns, rather than abs, would have produced a more "organic" sound.

Hi WIl,

Thanks. How long did it take you to spot this coloration? How long for it to get annoying?

Cuz here lies the dilemma for those who haven't lived with horns: people hear a horn like the new Avantgarde Trio and they are blown away from 1 or 2 demo listening sessions.

But they haven't lived with a speaker for a long time, so it's a huge risk to buy it and really find out the faults after several months.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
In the USA, these guys are a gem. Like I have always said, if I had all the money I would just call Slage up and have him build me a full kit.
They have a new speaker. More conventional than past models. Wide baffle, horn tweeter, and woofer. Not sure if the woofer is powered. Definitely on the list to listen to.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Okay, I am not saying my speakers are the best horn speakers in the world but for the money, I love them for my system. Check out the Video preferably with headphones.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Okay, I am not saying my speakers are the best horn speakers in the world but for the money, I love them for my system. Check out the Video preferably with headphones.

This actually sounds really nice for a video! Congrats! I really enjoyed this.

What is the music?

I like the sound of the voice, the voice dynamics at 0:36, the effortless enrichment with voices around 3 min and the sax solo around 3 1/2 minutes. The latter has a slight bloat in the low registers, but that might be the reproduction over my headphones. But the sax has a rich sound, also in the higher registers, astonishing for the digitally compressed YouTube format.

Are the two mics in the middle the ones you recorded with?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
This actually sounds really nice for a video! Congrats! I really enjoyed this.

What is the music?

I like the sound of the voice, the voice dynamics at 0:36, the effortless enrichment with voices around 3 min and the sax solo around 3 1/2 minutes. The latter has a slight bloat in the low registers, but that might be the reproduction over my headphones. But the sax has a rich sound, also in the higher registers, astonishing for the digitally compressed YouTube format.

Are the two mics in the middle the ones you recorded with?
Thank you for your comments. Anette Askvik - Liberty is the artist and song. Yes, I used both mic's that you can see. It was my first attempt at shooting a video. Since the video was shot, I have all new drivers, super tweeters, and danish capacitors installed in my speakers. So now I have even more detail.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank you for your comments. Anette Askvik - Liberty is the artist and song. Yes, I used both mic's that you can see. It was my first attempt at shooting a video. Since the video was shot, I have all new drivers, super tweeters, and danish capacitors installed in my speakers. So now I have even more detail.

Great, and thanks for the info. What is the other recording equipment you use, mic preamp and A/D converter?

Reactions: Hyperion

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Hi WIl,

Thanks. How long did it take you to spot this coloration? How long for it to get annoying?

Cuz here lies the dilemma for those who haven't lived with horns: people hear a horn like the new Avantgarde Trio and they are blown away from 1 or 2 demo listening sessions.

But they haven't lived with a speaker for a long time, so it's a huge risk to buy it and really find out the faults after several months.
I was pretty new to audiophila when I first heard the AG Duo Grossos. I noticed the coloration from the beginning but all the other positives overwhelmed that concern. I asked my dealer early on if the horns might be duplicated in wood. He thought maybe so, but I learned later it would be an impractical undertaking!

Reactions: caesar

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I was pretty new to audiophila when I first heard the AG Duo Grossos. I noticed the coloration from the beginning but all the other positives overwhelmed that concern. I asked my dealer early on if the horns might be duplicated in wood. He thought maybe so, but I learned later it would be an impractical undertaking!

Hi Wil,

Yes it would be a ball ache making them lol. Can be done by people who know how to but is a mission and requires time / patience. Anyway - you have big MM7 now so you must be very happy anyway.

Best.

Reactions: wil

caesar

May 30, 2010

Hi Wil,
Thanks for candidly sharing. Much appreciated!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

Sound from

Aries Cerat Aurora appears to be attractive.​

Since I am away from my system, I am going throudh Youtube videos. I have listened to the Knockout
Thanks for introducing me to Charly Antolini...what a drummer/composer. I have listened to the album Knock out 2000.

PhoenixRising

Jan 2, 2021
Not sure exactly the cost but I believe it's just above $20K including amps/crossover. The bass/corner horns were at the show but I am not sure if they are included in the price if I had to guess I would say yes. Depending on where you live it might be more cost-effective to get the horns without the bass cabinets and have them made yourself.
Here's an interesting article that's about 8 years old on Martion https://ra.co/features/2312

Reactions: beaur and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,
Really appreciate the replies! Has anyone spent any time with Living Voice Vox Olympians?

What is their unique character? How does the presentation compare to others?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Gentlemen,
Really appreciate the replies! Has anyone spent any time with Living Voice Vox Olympians?

What is their unique character? How does the presentation compare to others?
It’s more like being on the holodeck in Star Trek than listening to hifi…

PhoenixRising

Jan 2, 2021
Love the reference; have you heard the larger AER horns, perhaps incorporating the BD5 or BD7 Statement drivers ?
Looking forward to your thoughts on the Aries Cerat Contendo Reference 2, too.....

Reactions: morricab

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Love the reference; have you heard the larger AER horns, perhaps incorporating the BD5 or BD7 Statement drivers ?
Looking forward to your thoughts on the Aries Cerat Contendo Reference 2, too.....

Brad doesn’t like whizzers…

Best.

• Haha
Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing