Welcome 'smul' from the NL - Spectral user and musician

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi smul,

Thank you for answering my question and also for teaching me on how to access your profile. I just asked out of curiosity.

smul

Feb 9, 2012
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
alternative for spectral power amp

Arjan and I have been chatting for the last year on all-things Spectral, and he has a few experiences to share with us. Above all, he's a musician who's just cut his first CD, and a copy is on the way to me - please see www.alivemodernsavior.nl

I am doing the introduction to ease his pain:D

Welcome Arjan!

Been a happy but passive user on this forum with so many knowledgable people around.
But got a question now. I tried out several brands of amp in the last years (Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Pass, Classe) and settled on Spectral in the end.
A good friend of mine has heard all these amps to. Now he wants to buy a new hifi-set and he likes Spectral the most just like I do.
Only, Spectral is too expensive for him.
If you like the Montrachet on the winelist you probably end up drinking the Australian chardonnay or the one from Santa Barbara. Same idea :b.

What would you recommend if someone likes Spectral but want to spend say 1/3rd?
My advice for a pre would be a (second hand) Music First Audio passive pre I guess.

cheers

arjan

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Been a happy but passive user on this forum with so many knowledgable people around.
But got a question now. I tried out several brands of amp in the last years (Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Pass, Classe) and settled on Spectral in the end.
A good friend of mine has heard all these amps to. Now he wants to buy a new hifi-set and he likes Spectral the most just like I do.
Only, Spectral is too expensive for him.
If you like the Montrachet on the winelist you probably end up drinking the Australian chardonnay or the one from Santa Barbara. Same idea :b.

What would you recommend if someone likes Spectral but want to spend say 1/3rd?
My advice for a pre would be a (second hand) Music First Audio passive pre I guess.

cheers

arjan

arjan

Not a teasing remark or a joke. Why not older Spectral gear? Such as the still wonderful to my ears DMA-180 or the DMC-10... They go for not mcuh on the used market and sound very close to today's Spectral. Right now on Audiogon there are a Spectral DMC-20 and a DMA 250 for a total of $8200. If it is above his budget, back to the older Spectral. In my book Spectral is as good or better than the megabucks electronics. Takes a back seat to no $100K electronics.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
arjan

Not a teasing remark or a joke. Why not older Spectral gear? Such as the still wonderful to my ears DMA-180 or the DMC-10... They go for not mcuh on the used market and sound very close to today's Spectral. Right now on Audiogon there are a Spectral DMC-20 and a DMA 250 for a total of $8200. If it is above his budget, back to the older Spectral. In my book Spectral is as good or better than the megabucks electronics. Takes a back seat to no $100K electronics.

I agree. Even when looking for 1/3 of the price, Spectral is still the brand to look for. I didn't buy new either (360) and love them to bits.
Wim
P.S. not using a pre since my dac (dCS Elgar plus) takes over that function. Works as a charm:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing