Wadax Reference Server

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
100k Pesetas? Almost as if the € never happened Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: marmota

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Expecting them to run Roon of an ASIC is just the bare mininum, considering not only the price, but also the company's bread and butter: programming ASIC chips ;)
It seems they have Roon in some products, but I am not aware how it is implemented - quoting their site

"There is nothing fanciful or imaginary about the engineering and performance of the Atlantis products. From the remarkable MusIC chip decoding technology, with its proprietary, algorithmic feed-forward correction of non-linearities in the decoding process, to the refined implementation of the Zepto clock and real-time monitored power supply: from the Wadax Thor 1.3 optical transport, capable of CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and BluRay playback to the transfer and decoding of DSD without sample-rate conversion: from the Roon server core to the elimination of the digital and power supply noise that mars almost all other file playback, the Atlantis components establish new levels of technical and musical excellence."

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
It seems they have Roon in some products, but I am not aware how it is implemented - quoting their site

"There is nothing fanciful or imaginary about the engineering and performance of the Atlantis products. From the remarkable MusIC chip decoding technology, with its proprietary, algorithmic feed-forward correction of non-linearities in the decoding process, to the refined implementation of the Zepto clock and real-time monitored power supply: from the Wadax Thor 1.3 optical transport, capable of CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and BluRay playback to the transfer and decoding of DSD without sample-rate conversion: from the Roon server core to the elimination of the digital and power supply noise that mars almost all other file playback, the Atlantis components establish new levels of technical and musical excellence."

That doesn't explain anything, nor is it related to the Reference server. They do implement Roon in the Altantis server, which uses Windows 10 and a regular, stripped down PC motherboard + Intel/AMD CPU.
I'm talking about the big boy, 6 figures, new server, the ugly, big one that is pictured in this thread, from which we don't know anything yet.
I hope the "monster" doesn't use off the shelf solutions like the Atlantis server, while mantaining Roon functionality. Does this mean anything? No, is just a comment/opinion by me.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, I'm actually not an expert, but I do know something, if the Roon software is written to run on a certain processor architecture, it seems to me that no matter how many programmers you write for the ASIC, it won't run. The cost of emulating the functions of an X86 processor with an ASIC would be prohibitive ....... and also for what? But hey, some of the IT professionals can clarify the point for us.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Well, I'm actually not an expert, but I do know something, if the Roon software is written to run on a certain processor architecture, it seems to me that no matter how many programmers you write for the ASIC, it won't run. The cost of emulating the functions of an X86 processor with an ASIC would be prohibitive ....... and also for what? But hey, some of the IT professionals can clarify the point for us.

I wish I could answer to that, but I'm not informed enough.
About the ASIC programming being cost prohibitive...yes it is, but so is the Reference server, which probably costs the same as an Aston Martin Vantage. Is logical and not out of context to expect something cost prohibitive, extraordinary and full of cutting edge engineering inside the Reference server taking the price into account.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That doesn't explain anything, nor is it related to the Reference server. They do implement Roon in the Altantis server, which uses Windows 10 and a regular, stripped down PC motherboard + Intel/AMD CPU.
I'm talking about the big boy, 6 figures, new server, the ugly, big one that is pictured in this thread, from which we don't know anything yet.
I hope the "monster" doesn't use off the shelf solutions like the Atlantis server, while mantaining Roon functionality. Does this mean anything? No, is just a comment/opinion by me.

Exactly, we can only make guesses. I just wanted to point they have Roon in the Atlantis server, so we can expect that they will have it in the Reference server. I must say I would not care if they used of the shelf solutions implement if I found it sounded better than the competition for me. Let us hope someone gets next TheAbsoluteSound soon and tells us about the Wadax's!
a1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4FUN

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
But when I speak of prohibitive it is not in the order of hundreds of thousands of €. Programmatically emulate what Intel has been developing for 35 years and make it more efficient ..... well I'll leave it here.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
I hear that Wadax Reference Server does not depend on computer industry soft and hardware. It still use Roon but will be enhanced with their custom extensions. The most important is that it will use the proprietary connection interface which is only compatible with their Reference DAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: marmota

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I hear that Wadax Reference Server is not depend on computer industry soft and hardware. It still use Roon but will be enhanced with their custom extensions. The most important is that it will use the proprietary connection interface which is only compatible with their Reference DAC.

If true, that's very interesting!

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
https://www.facebook.com/boonyarat.bojarus/posts/3778582562179453

BTW, it's pretty amusing that everyone was "tricked" to believe that they're listening to vinyl

https://audioexotics.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/17648/#Comment_17648

In reality the quality of TIDAL streaming via the Wadax Atlantis Reference DAC + Server combo totally got all of them fooled.

Audioking87

Dec 13, 2019
Great piece of engineering, visually looking like something from the flea market, made in China. No thanks.

Reactions: Sa683s

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Great piece of engineering, visually looking like something from the flea market, made in China. No thanks.
Hope you'll make better contributions to this forum. If not, please keep silent.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Everyone certainly has their own opinion on what appeals to them visually however making disparaging comments about the products quality , build , and performance without experiencing it is just plain stupid and IMO Jealous.
There are many products that I find hideous but that's my opinion and one I keep to myself. For me at the end of the day I purchase audio components to bring me ( and my clients) closer to the music they love and enjoy. I am afraid many "audiophiles" just love the gear and look at it more like jewelry and for status. I think that's sad. For those of you who I know and have visited you all know I listen in the dark, don't want to look at any of the gear and just want to get lost in the music. I thought that was the point of audio but that's just me.

Full disclosure I ordered the Wadax gear. Paid for it and can't wait for it to arrive.
I find this kind of talk truly infantile and as I said there is no place for it. This is really what's wrong with the internet and the fact that one is invisible and feels they can say anything without issue.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
..... I listen in the dark, don't want to look at any of the gear and just want to get lost in the music. I thought that was the point of audio but that's just me.
+1. It surprises me that folks like looking at pilot lights and glowing tubes, particularly in a darkened room. I find that to be a sensory distraction that detracts from the listening experience. Or, like they said on Seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that" :rolleyes:

Reactions: dbeau and Elliot G.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Full disclosure I ordered the Wadax gear. Paid for it and can't wait for it to arrive.
I find this kind of talk truly infantile and as I said there is no place for it. This is really what's wrong with the internet and the fact that one is invisible and feels they can say anything without issue.

I suspect that pictures can barely do justice to how these products look in the flesh. I have a feeling that you are going to have one heck of an unboxing experience.

The internet is like a huge buffet to those in need of narcissistic supply. It’s unfortunate for the rest of us.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I suspect that pictures can barely do justice to how these products look in the flesh. I have a feeling that you are going to have one heck of an unboxing experience.

The internet is like a huge buffet to those in need of narcissistic supply. It’s unfortunate for the rest of us.
If there is a Devil he created the internet. There is so much misinformation and so many are willing to hail anything or anyone they agree with just to make themselves feel better even if they are dead wrong.

Debunker

Apr 9, 2021
Find something interesting but no proof , the internal optical cable of Wadax AKASA optical cable is from Neutrik ooticalCON DUO .

Attachments

• 461B4EC5-7755-4D87-B0BC-FF4869AD2597.jpeg
    461B4EC5-7755-4D87-B0BC-FF4869AD2597.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 3080AA88-2558-4ED5-A8DF-A3FF6F90BAE3.jpeg
    3080AA88-2558-4ED5-A8DF-A3FF6F90BAE3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • D0A6A885-FB04-4324-8278-2B5B3EC740F2.jpeg
    D0A6A885-FB04-4324-8278-2B5B3EC740F2.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 3A6669EC-81DA-4AC9-A94D-B61A27E33AC8.jpeg
    3A6669EC-81DA-4AC9-A94D-B61A27E33AC8.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 59

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing