• F9002B62-2A5E-47FC-9E19-F32574612349.jpeg
    F9002B62-2A5E-47FC-9E19-F32574612349.jpeg
    694.4 KB · Views: 1

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
As i have said before this product needs to be experienced. It is the sound you are paying for and they have it Most people that have come through here or at CAPFEST said the same thing. That was that they liked the look better in person.
I personally think it is a very well made product and finished like a high end watch. It is beautifully packed with boxes , custom wrapping, and flight cases. It has been extremely well thought out. I have sold or seen just about everything in my audio career and very few items check all the boxes. This company does a terrific job. You may not like the look, your opinion is valid, but if you listen then you might change your view point. I have seen and heard some really odd looking products and either they do it sonically or not, If they don't do it sound wise they fall into the who cares category for me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Elliot, if there was the same level of criticism over other fussy, decorative designs like AF0, Kronos, Vyger, DAgostino (especially Relentless), Wilson WAMM Chronosonic, then I'd understand more the downer on Wadax Ref industrial aesthetic.
But there isn't. So I don't.
My take is that maybe Chris of AE has encouraged the Wadax team to go a little further with the industrial design than they might have done without his market, looking at the Divin Project uber showroom in HK, the Wadax Ref sits proportionately amongst the other hefty designs there like the Zanden Choukou, Jinpu and Kaun, and critically the Divin Majestic.
Wadax Ref rig will not look out of place next to a Kronos Discovery or AF0, alongside DAgostino Relentless monos, between Wilson WAMM Master Chronosonics.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot, if there was the same level of criticism over other fussy, decorative designs like AF0, Kronos, Vyger, DAgostino (especially Relentless), Wilson WAMM Chronosonic, then I'd understand more the downer on Wadax Ref industrial aesthetic.
My take is that maybe Chris of AE has encouraged the Wadax team to go a little further with the industrial design than they might have done without his market, looking at the Divin Project uber showroom in HK, the Wadax Ref sits proportionately amongst the other hefty designs there like the Zanden Choukou, Jinpu and Kaun, and critically the Divin Majestic.
I don't care about looks as I said I don't buy gear because of the way it looks. I think most of the items you mentioned are really blingy but I do understand that many people really care about the looks and the fact that they are spending big money and want fancy stuff. I don't understand however why there is so much of it directed at Wadax. Form follows function in many products and its done done here.
I think many dislike the looks of the products you mentioned whether it bothers them enough to bitch about it here is another story. I think you should keep in mind that what people like in Asia seems to differ greatly from what people like in other parts of the world.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The basic form of their stuff isnt too out there, imho its the finish of the face plate with the extra 'chrome lines' thats all...

Reactions: Bobvin and nonesup

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
well, i can only say as a person who is voting with their pocketbook, the looks are beside the point. i owned a Linn CD-12, and sold it to buy an EMM Labs dac. then i had a ML #32 preamp, and sold it for a Placette RVC.

looks never is a part of my equation.

although it's maybe the only thing most people will be exposed to. so the issue has legs for sure.

i prefer pretty verses ugly. but not very much.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You won’t read “clean, uncluttered lines” in any description of the Wadax aesthetic.

Opposite of Audionet Stern / Heisnberg / Humbolt aesthetic.

WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE? (You can, as Tima said, put a bag over it!)

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
The basic form of their stuff isnt too out there, imho its the finish of the face plate with the extra 'chrome lines' thats all...
BTW they do custom finishes. It could be all black for example if you ordered it that way.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
PS to Marty , we all have different opinions about looks. We may all go to the same strip club but I can rest assured we all wont pick the same girl LOL
Wadax Ref rig will not look out of place next to a Kronos Discovery or AF0, alongside DAgostino Relentless monos, between Wilson WAMM Master Chronosonics.
True, there are many notable audio products whose aesthetic forms are grossly overcooked. And in most cases, I don’t think it’s due to function dictating form. It’s mostly extraneous, superfluous bling bling. The “Less is More” ethos seems lost on many of these designers.

Personally, this kind of visual aesthetic is a 100% deal killer. I don’t care how good it may sound— there is usually something comparable to go with instead.

Reactions: tima and djsina2

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
The looks to me is retro industrial style
I like it. having said this at this years cap fest it was not good period I did not even take pics or video.
but shows are not the best place to make conclusions.

Reactions: Golum

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
Well, I must say this chunky funky looking DAC/Server combo earned my respect at AXPONA. GOOD, it better do so for how imposing the look is. Im interested to hear more if it to see if its doing what I thought I could hear which was to mimic the sound of Vinyl playback. To me it was not a transparent sound. It had texture in a way Ive never heard a DAC portray. (is there a name for the sonic background Vinyl has from the needle in the groove, like tape hiss is to tape ?) I listened to several songs all streamed and they all had this textured sonic flavor to them. I actually enjoyed listening to it as it was pleasing. Im stuck on the value proposition in which the jury is still out for me. I believe there are settings on the streamer to tweak sonic which we did not change or listen to. I did notice that the knobs on the server had some play in them that did not feel reassuring for an $80K computer, however in my opinion this is a one of a kind unique sound and its novel in its analog-ness. I am curious to find out more. Listening tests coming up at Mike Lavignes place will be very interesting and Im looking forward to it.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
You won’t read “clean, uncluttered lines” in any description of the Wadax aesthetic.

Opposite of Audionet Stern / Heisnberg / Humbolt aesthetic.

WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE? (You can, as Tima said, put a bag over it!)
I have the Humboldt for its sound quality but I would not have hesitated if it had the Wadax look:p. One can love two things:)

b345t

May 10, 2020
Well, I must say this chunky funky looking DAC/Server combo earned my respect at AXPONA. GOOD, it better do so for how imposing the look is. Im interested to hear more if it to see if its doing what I thought I could hear which was to mimic the sound of Vinyl playback. To me it was not a transparent sound. It had texture in a way Ive never heard a DAC portray. (is there a name for the sonic background Vinyl has from the needle in the groove, like tape hiss is to tape ?) I listened to several songs all streamed and they all had this textured sonic flavor to them. I actually enjoyed listening to it as it was pleasing. Im stuck on the value proposition in which the jury is still out for me. I believe there are settings on the streamer to tweak sonic which we did not change or listen to. I did notice that the knobs on the server had some play in them that did not feel reassuring for an $80K computer, however in my opinion this is a one of a kind unique sound and its novel in its analog-ness. I am curious to find out more. Listening tests coming up at Mike Lavignes place will be very interesting and Im looking forward to it.
Very interesting. I would think that at the highest level, separating power supplies and dac design innovations would be more in line with 'removing' all the additive sound coming from both the digital and electrical circuits. It seems you heard a type of 'watermark' on the music.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
May I ask why do think the texture you identified was actually caused by the Wadax combo and not by of any of the other components of the audio set or some kind of interaction of the whole set up with the room?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Kudos to you sir, you are the master of hidden slights delivered in halfhearted compliments ! ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But lets say Verastarr admits the Wadax is better/ more favourable then the equipment he sells .
(First of all it wouldn t make much business sense to admit that .)
(I wouldnt do it even at gunpoint if i were a dealer ) :)

Luckily dealers / distributors have a few escape clausules ....

Interconnects / speaker cables didnt match .
Powercords were..... too short
Speakers weren t optimally placed .
Room was a mismatch .
Excessive room treatment was used .
Seating position was not optimal .
Music format favours a certain digital combination and vice versa .
Weather conditions were not optimal
Impedance characterics of the speakers didnt match
Source material was not of high quality .
Music that was played favoured the other combination.
Amps were not powerfull enough to show what the set up is really capable off .
Room dimensions were just plain wrong .
This digital set up can only show its true potential in combination with transparent transducers like horns so the whole comparison is not valid .
The equipment can only live up to its true potential if mated with tubes

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Many dealers have admitted to me their products are not the best. Some have referred me to other products sold at other stores. Some dealers have told me they can get anything I want. it helps their credibility.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
May I ask why do think the texture you identified was actually caused by the Wadax combo and not by of any of the other components of the audio set or some kind of interaction of the whole set up with the room?
Just my best guess. Ive not heard that texture before from a digital rig, and Ive been in many rooms to know what room interactions sound like. I never said i did not like the sound..

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
Kudos to you sir, you are the master of hidden slights delivered in halfhearted compliments ! ;)
Yes, youre right...I have not formed an opinion on the piece yet.. Im just feeding back what I thought..

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
967ECBEE-3CE6-47B3-81B7-270AA1F02AF2.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing