Wadax Reference Dac and Server arrive

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Mike,
Do you own Elina Garanca’s “Habanera”? It is a wonderful Deutsche Grammophon CD. She is the best mezzo soprano in the world. I have seen her live at the Met a number of times as well as soprano Anna Netrebko. Definitely give it a listen if you haven’t already.

Best,
Ken
Very grateful for the information about Elina Garanca, what a wonderful voice!! I have not found a Carmen in Qobuz, I would have loved to compare it with that of Teresa Berganza/Claudio Abbado.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Very grateful for the information about Elina Garanca, what a wonderful voice!! I have not found a Carmen in Qobuz, I would have loved to compare it with that of Teresa Berganza/Claudio Abbado.
You’re welcome, she is magnificent! There are four wonderful songs from Carmen on her album “Habanera”. A terrific recording too.

I was fortunate to see her at the Met as Carmen with Roberto Alagna as Don Jose. Breathtaking!

Ken

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
last night and this morning i was watching album titles appear one by one as they downloaded, yet to my ears there was zero performance penalty no matter what i played.

last night it went from 4800 to over 5000 albums, this morning it was going from 5600 albums to 5800 albums. how these data hungry processes happen simultaneously is a mystery to me, but i like it. don't need to know how. a friend also explained to me how i can easily clean up duplicates with Roon on my Wadax server hard drive. i know i have some of those that do clutter up things. it sorts titles by resolution so gives you plenty of granular control. and my NAS will keep all the back ups just in case i mess it up.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike.
It seems you already have all recordings in your server and you can’t stop listening… :cool:
yes; mostly right. and giving the thread a rest. listening to the Wadax has messed with my lifestyle over the last 2 weeks. i keep throwing stuff at it and just enjoying. sleep has been 'optional'.

we have loaded files in bites. at the moment my son is loading the last 3+ tb's of dsd files, just passed 10,700 albums.....not sure when it will be completed. we have learned some things about the nuances of the SSD drives. i can listen to files while it's loading, but i'm sticking to streaming during loads, and 'vinyl'......you remember 'vinyl'? right? :p it's pretty good.:rolleyes:

when it's all done i will do the Akasa Optical<->USB compare i mentioned/promised previously......which my desire to listen to files pushed aside.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
listening to the Wadax has messed with my lifestyle over the last 2 weeks.

Since I received the Server to go along with the DAC I can honestly say I have listened more than at any other time in my life. The ability to sit in my room with the lights out with just my phone as a remote and a small volume control has made me incredibly happy.
There is something to be said when convenience and quality collide!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Once your DaVa arrives the DAC will be collecting dust.
not sure i quite :p agree with you (the dust part); OTOH i have been evolving my vinyl plans lately. plotting where the DaVa will end up residing. maybe adding another vinyl 'wild-card' to the mix.

agree that i'm hoping that the DaVa will bring it's own magic to my listening equation. and demand attention!:cool:

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Since I received the Server to go along with the DAC I can honestly say I have listened more than at any other time in my life. The ability to sit in my room with the lights out with just my phone as a remote and a small volume control has made me incredibly happy.
There is something to be said when convenience and quality collide!
i resemble that.

Reactions: aangen

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
not sure i quite :p agree with you; OTOH i have been evolving my vinyl plans lately. plotting where the DaVa will end up residing. maybe adding another vinyl 'wild-card' to the mix.

agree that i'm hoping that the DaVa will bring it's own magic to my listening equation. and demand attention!:cool:

I have a funny feeling it might reside on the end of a 12” arm on the Saskia playing jazz LPs….

jonyung

Sep 22, 2014
not sure i quite :p agree with you; OTOH i have been evolving my vinyl plans lately. plotting where the DaVa will end up residing. maybe adding another vinyl 'wild-card' to the mix.

I believe we derive different types of contentment with audio..

There's the typical audiophile type, where we, for example, swap cables, footers etc and derive real fun from the differences/"improvements " in our sound world.

There's the more visceral, emotional type where you somehow connect with the music/song...to me, it's a deeper and longer lasting kind of contentment...

Wadax gives you both, but I choose the later, because it allows you to forget time

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Though what might be a strange but tantalising bed partner could be the NVS 2nd arm with DaVa providing a really juicy and meaty magical alternative…

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I believe we derive different types of contentment with audio..

There's the typical audiophile type, where we, for example, swap cables, footers etc and derive real fun from the differences/"improvements " in our sound world.

There's the more visceral, emotional type where you somehow connect with the music/song...to me, it's a deeper and longer lasting kind of contentment...

Wadax gives you both, but I choose the later, because it allows you to forget time
with that phrase, i think you have captured an ROI for Wadax that is unique by degrees because it is so natural to get sucked into it. you can get so lost down the rabbit hole with connected streaming musical threads that the world recedes, and you are in a tunnel of musical love. the combo of quality and ease of access is addicting. and the pull of other alternate things to do with my time has altered.

i'd rather do this.

Last edited:

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Which are your impressions between playing same track from?
• Streaming PCM
• Streaming MQA
• Internal storage

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
• Streaming PCM
• Streaming MQA
• Internal storage
internal storage is an easy preference right now, but not yet able to assess the nuance of recording quality verses resolution....and the significance. i've not played around with the 4 levels of dsd adjustment. not played around with tweaking the data stream adjustments at all. done little dsd listening; mostly since my long term references are mostly PCM.

then streaming PCM, then streaming MQA. but i've got a predisposition that is not MQA friendly. and that i prefer Quboz over Tidal. not even tried yet to listen objectively. just quick hits.

so far when i'm comparing 'versions' can't recall preferring MQA. yet MQA has sounded really good.

the biggest 'gotcha' so far is how great redbook, both streaming and files, sounds.

Reactions: aangen

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
The debate over mqa lives on and sides are dug in deep.
im a fan of tidal over quboz but it’s been a while not hearing quboz.
mqa if not completely unfolded is far from its full potential. the issue I have on mqa is how much is remaster verses mqa.
Using headphones might help you mike
while there not speakers they do have a perspective To help you.
Keep us posted on network from a nas to internal drives , this I’m really interested in.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Mike I know where you are coming from. The thoughts of making adjustments and playing around with filters and controls just get's lost and seems to push down the thought of making adjustments. In just pulls you into the musical zone and that's my happy place!
Enjoy!!!

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
• Streaming PCM
• Streaming MQA
• Internal storage
I’m sorry.
I didn't want opening a new MQA discuss.
My experience with my Atlantis is that playing same track by streaming sounds better than same ripped version from my cds.
Have you experienced the same in pcm files?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing