Wadax Reference Dac and Server arrive

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I think if you are talking about Taiko TAS/XDMS for changing the data stream, it is more reasonable. What do you think about other chips? You think CDPs don't have error correction technical or interpolate signal? All of companies have their own technicals, please remember that.

It’s all a matter of preference so as long as you’re enjoying the whole experience and listening more then you’re on the right track.
From Wadax. I don't know that others do anything like this.

Wadax technology is founded on the unique musIC process, a sophisticated feed-forward error correction system that operates in the time domain. By mapping the error mechanisms of a chosen DAC chip under load using Adaptive Delta Hilbert Mapping, we can develop an algorithmic that examines the incoming signal and calculates the induced error (both linear and non-linear) that will result. By applying an inverse signal at the input we can real-time correct for the time and phase error that is so musically destructive in other, conventional decoding systems.

This process requires a massive number of mathematical operations and considerable datatransfer: 12,8 GBytes/s. Processing is done at 128 bit internal resolution to precisely render the output and generate the smallest feed-forward corrections. The result is measurably and audibly the most natural and musically communicative digital decoding currently possible – something that’s obvious as soon as you hear the Atlantis REFERENCE DAC.

Now go to innuous and MSB sites

Do you see anything referencing error correction software, or is it all the PS, Case work, quality components. Maybe I missed something.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
turns out my son was able to start the file loading process this afternoon, and a chunk of files should be accessible to me tonight; i assume there is a re-mapping process first to go thru with Roon.

excited to hear them and hope i picked the right one's from the menu.:rolleyes:
for the last 45 minutes i've been quickly shuffling through the downloads. and.......as i am emotionally attached to these files, i have to pull the reigns back a bit, but my reference files seem to be another clear level beyond the streaming. the one's he loaded are most of my own ripped CD collection which are my longest term references, and a few dozen of my dxd (352-24) files, and they are other-worldly for sure.

really none of my mid-hirez stuff. and zero of my dsd files so far.

i need to sit back and savor these at a slower pace. it's hard to not want to hear the next one. this is the payoff for all this effort and asset allocation. how great can digital sound? pretty friggin great!!!

added note for Francisco.......i listened to the 88/24 file of that Savall recording, Venezia Milenaria, track #37--La Sainte Ligue (Beethoven 5 and 7 sombre).......kick ass!!!! woah! that one will tickle your fancy. :cool:

Last edited:

jonyung

Sep 22, 2014
for the last 45 minutes i've been quickly shuffling through the downloads. and.......as i am emotionally attached to these files, i have to pull the reigns back a bit, but my reference files seem to be another clear level beyond the streaming. the one's he loaded are most of my own ripped CD collection which are my longest term references, and a few dozen of my dxd (352-24) files, and they are other-worldly for sure.

i need to sit back and savor these at a slower pace. it's hard to not want to hear the next one. this is the payoff for all this effort and asset allocation. how great can digital sound? pretty friggin great!!!

added note for Francisco.......i listened to the 88/24 file of that Savall recording, Venezia Milenaria, track #37--La Sainte Ligue (Beethoven 5 and 7 sombre).......kick ass!!!! woah! that will tickle your fancy. :cool:
Mike

You are going to experience symptoms of sleep deprivation very soon.....together with withdrawal symptoms at work!

Congrats!

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020

Wadax technology is founded on the unique musIC process, a sophisticated feed-forward error correction system that operates in the time domain. By mapping the error mechanisms of a chosen DAC chip under load using Adaptive Delta Hilbert Mapping, we can develop an algorithmic that examines the incoming signal and calculates the induced error (both linear and non-linear) that will result. By applying an inverse signal at the input we can real-time correct for the time and phase error that is so musically destructive in other, conventional decoding systems.

This process requires a massive number of mathematical operations and considerable datatransfer: 12,8 GBytes/s. Processing is done at 128 bit internal resolution to precisely render the output and generate the smallest feed-forward corrections. The result is measurably and audibly the most natural and musically communicative digital decoding currently possible – something that’s obvious as soon as you hear the Atlantis REFERENCE DAC.

Do you see anything referencing error correction software, or is it all the PS, Case work, quality components. Maybe I missed something.
What do you think about error correction technical or interpolate signal in CDPs? What did they make when transfering data from CDs to dac in them?

Error correction is restoring error signal to its original signal. Error correction data and changing data stream are 2 different definitions. Wadax is the best for restoring error signal to its original signal currently.

I don't understand why you say it may cause fatigue not being "natural". I can enjoy Wadax for hours and never feel fatigue.

I think you have a prejudice against Wadax and find the reason to deny them but you forget many other companies also use error correction technical like Wadax. They simply just cannot be good as Wadax.

Please research into the error correction technicals or interpolate signal in the digital world.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong

MSB's ProUSB/ProISL modules utilize proprietary error correction algorithms and feedforward clock synch technologies, to ensure 100% signal packet integrity and femtosecond-steady cadence synchronization, both critically important for perfection in sonic performance. Supports up to 12 channels of 32bit/768Khz PCM, two channels of 32bit/3Mhz of PCM, and 8 channels of 16x native DSD data.

Technical descriptions are not embellished in sophisticated marketing "buzzwords" like WADAX's, but very likely equivalent results. Three URL links below:

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

added note for Francisco.......i listened to the 88/24 file of that Savall recording, Venezia Milenaria, track #37--La Sainte Ligue (Beethoven 5 and 7 sombre).......kick ass!!!! woah! that one will tickle your fancy. :cool:
Not surprised that (i) your locally stored files in (ii) high resolution sound (much) better than the streamed low resolution music you have been mainly listening to so far. And of course the Wadax combo and Akasa cable are settling in more and more as well (Btw, I understood from Javier that all servers and Akasa cables are being played at the factory for 100 hours but clearly all the units need much more hours to reach full potential). Your enthusiasm (“pretty frigging great!!!”, “kick ass!!!!”) seems to indicate that - from a sonic point of view - the leap forward is bigger than you had anticipated. In other words, do your own good high res downloads sound much better than the sound you have experienced so far with the Wadax gear?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
And btw, the first two tracks of the Jordi Savall recording you were referring to are interesting ‘test material’ as well. Recording bells in a realistic way is difficult while the second track is of a male choir recorded in a resonant environment.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) added note for Francisco.......i listened to the 88/24 file of that Savall recording, Venezia Milenaria, track #37--La Sainte Ligue (Beethoven 5 and 7 sombre).......kick ass!!!! woah! that one will tickle your fancy. :cool:

It is extremely moving, as it represents the fall of the Republic of Venice, that lasted for 1100 years, about 15 years before Beethoven composed these symphonies. It is hard to believe that it was recorded in 2017 and Savall turned 80 last August. He has integrated plenty of non-western music in his works and we can listen to many kind of instruments and melodies in his discography. A nice way to refresh our perceptions.

Next you should not forget to listen to the also impressive last two tracks of "Route de l'Esclavage". :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
at this point over 5000 of my 10,000 plus albums are loaded, many hi-rez. but i'm excited that the heaviest of my "heavy artillery" demo cuts did appear.

#1--Anna Netrebko, "Sempre Libera", 88/24 native source file, track 11, about 3:00 for the next minute....Anna and a Glass Harmonica duke it out. the Wadax combo hits a moon shot on this ultimate separator of the men from the boys. the expressiveness of Anna vocals is a world apart from my previous hearing. the glass harmonica is in another dimension from my aural memory of it. for 10 years this has been a go-to. the Wadax does not break a sweat and it's just matter of fact amazing.

1642560828416.png

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
#1A is a 24/352 tape transfer of Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" the first 30 seconds. if you think you've heard how this might be able to sound, forget it. and i thought i knew it. not even close. and it's not just bigger, and more detailed, it's richer and more textured, with more timbral delicacy and decay into infinity. the room expands and expands and expands some more. it made me feel tiny. yet zero cringe factor or any hardness or compression. so much headroom in the musical message.

note; the native source file 88/24 (you can easily buy and download it) of the Sempre Libera is quite a bit better than either the SACD/dsd or the CD/16/44. but either will suffice to use it as a useful demo. i used the SACD for a number of years until i heard the 88/24 and understood the significance of getting the native source. likely not going to find the 352/24 of 'Sweet Emotion' but come on over anytime. HD Tracks has a 96/24 file. not heard it.

1642561520255.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliot G.

jonyung

Sep 22, 2014
at this point over 5000 of my 10,000 plus albums are loaded, many hi-rez. but i'm excited that the heaviest of my "heavy artillery" demo cuts did appear.

#1--Anna Netrebko, "Sempre Libera", 88/24 native source file, track 11, about 3:00 for the next minute....Anna and a Glass Harmonica duke it out. the Wadax combo hits a moon shot on this ultimate separator of the men from the boys. the expressiveness of Anna vocals is a world apart from my previous hearing. the glass harmonica is in another dimension from my aural memory of it. for 10 years this has been a go-to. the Wadax does not break a sweat and it's just matter of fact amazing.

View attachment 88223
Mike
Of all the genre in music, Wadax's improvement is most dramatic in the "humaness" of the human voice, and out of the human voice, I find the most amazing in Operatic voices. The expressive dimension of mezzo sopranos and baritones in particular

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019

Wonderful Mike. I remember you recommending this track before and have had it saved. For that last minute, my system is brought to its knees when her voice hits the mid upper 90 db-c range (granted it is only the 16/44.1 version on Qobuz). breaks up a bit. Perhaps the native recording could help, but I can only imagine how all the pieces of your system and especially the Wadax combo are contributing to the effortlessness you hear with that final duel. Keep the reports coming (currently auditioning Sinope USB vs Valhalla 2 USB)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That Savalli choir rendition of Beethoven's 5th and 7th sounds like goose bumps. I would love to hear that live. The 7th symphony allegretto is the best to have a sung rendition as well.

Last edited:

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

View attachment 88223
Hi Mike,
Do you own Elina Garanca’s “Habanera”? It is a wonderful Deutsche Grammophon CD. She is the best mezzo soprano in the world. I have seen her live at the Met a number of times as well as soprano Anna Netrebko. Definitely give it a listen if you haven’t already.

Best,
Ken

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,
Do you own Elena Garanca’s “Habanera”? It is a wonderful Deutsche Grammophon CD. She is the best mezzo soprano in the world. I have seen her live at the Met a number of times as well as soprano Anna Netrebko. Definitely give it a listen if you haven’t already.

Best,
Ken
hi Ken,

don't have that file, but listening now to the Quboz 16/44 and it's very nice. will explore her recordings more.

thank you,

Mike

Reactions: Alpinist

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
hi Ken,

don't have that file, but listening now to the Quboz 16/44 and it's very nice. will explore her recordings more.

thank you,

Mike
All of Elina Garanca’s Deutsche Grammophon albums are outstanding and top quality recordings. The resonance and purity of her voice and vocal control are unparalleled. She made her name singing the lead in Carmen, so the Bizet songs are extra special.

Ken

Last edited:

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia

View attachment 88223
Mike - i am following this thread eagerly from a hardware perspective but just wanted to say thank you for highlighting this artist. Im listening now on QBOZ and just fantastic...... She is marvellous ....

wil

Jul 22, 2015
LessLoss makes a SD card player that they claim is the ultimate digital transport...the price is rather extreme but in many ways so is the player . Don’t know anyone who has tried it...
I wonder if they've sold any of these. I think it's been out for about five years, but to even find it on their website you have to go through the "site map." A well executed SD player (at a reasonable price) sounds promising, but the user interface would be a downer -- no album art or metadata.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I wonder if they've sold any of these. I think it's been out for about five years, but to even find it on their website you have to go through the "site map." A well executed SD player (at a reasonable price) sounds promising, but the user interface would be a downer -- no album art or metadata.
I don’t really need either but the price is a turnoff...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing