Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm glad you guys are so open and forthcoming w the advice, even sorting the aftermath if things don't work out.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry you are welcome anytime,

The flattery you speak of is well deserved,you are Python funny.

Thank you very much general.
I'll PM you to fix a mutually convenient date and will look forward to both meeting you and hearing your system.
You are,of course, very welcome to come and listen to my system.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Ked, you and I may disagree about many things, but we probably agree that one can spend on acoustical treatments and go on yet another Möbius Loop of perceived benefits and possible unresolved issues, or issues that force one to go down another avenue, leading to more Möbius Loops etc.

In effect a complex version of Russian Dolls.

Despite what Barry says, I'm v happy w my sound, and indeed the complex shape of my loft helps acoustics. What other reason could explain why the same gear sounds vastly more neutral and transparent here than in my old room.

Barry unfortunately suffered visiting when my system wasn't on song, and like you he's not a fan of Zu, and indeed neither SETs too.

I'm much happier as the owner and listener of my own system, Ill keep my mind open to spkrs alternatives, esp as I'm considering upgraded version of my current Zus, but I'm also happy to investigate acoustical room impvts.

I believe the bass management system you point to is also sold by the Acustica Applicata rep in the UK.

Marc it would be virtually impossible not to have a better sound than in your previous acoustic nightmare of a room as you must know.Remember that concrete ceiling with numerous bath like depressions, brick walls and steel windows all down the side?
While your present room is clearly better it too has some significant issues and you will need to address those effectively as well as finding some better speakers and do the sums.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, I'm open to all of that.
But you're simply wrong about the state of my current acoustics. You caught my system at the worst it had been since I moved in w much worse tubes in my amps leading to a flat, antiseptic sound.
Indeed I've had a visitor who knows his acoustics very well, and is a fan of my room, with the angled eaves and cross beams steels actually helping break up nodes etc.
So I respect your opinion, but you cannot say as an objective fact that my room is poor acoustically.
By all means, feel free to criticise Zu sonic signature, but that's as far as is reasonable to say.
I didn't see Fraser in the room dissing the acoustics, he was toe tapping and generally complimenting me on what Id achieved.
But that's not to say different spkrs and acoustical treatments wouldn't be beneficial.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Barry you are welcome anytime,

The flattery you speak of is well deserved,you are Python funny.
You brits are like a episode of Monty Python at times, always loved it !
Now stop messing with Marc !

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thsts all I want to say on the matter, I could suggest Justin needs a better streamer and cables, Ked needs a system (any system), you need tubes in your system to sweeten your sound.

But since none of you would view unsolicited advice kindly, I won't bother LOL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thsts all I want to say on the matter, I could suggest Justin needs a better streamer and cables, Ked needs a system (any system), you need tubes in your system to sweeten your sound.

I don't need a system. First rule in marketing, know the difference between needs and wants.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's true Ked.
It's like saying you don't need the best steak, you only want it.
Me? I need it AND want it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's true Ked.
It's like saying you don't need the best steak, you only want it.
Me? I need it AND want it.

Well, I guess Zus match the fish and chips taste. Me, I am a foodie.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lagonda, we Brits are a naturally pessimistic and masochistic breed, I'm happy to listen to all and any suggestions.

What other country would vote to leave the EU and 2 years later, be further away than ever from this simple objective, w not a peep from the majority who voted Brexit - THAT'S the very definition of British stiff upper lippedness, Python would have had a field day w the surrealness of non democracy in (in)action.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Ked, I know. I've had the misfortune of your taste in restaurants. Thanks for picking up the tab that day.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
At times, the Yanks need an irony interpreter for the Brits, since we can't visualize the accents in the words. You'd think audiophiles would do better.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CJ, two nations separated by a common language.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

One.must realise however good your system is most will find a way to deride it.

Curious behaviour, but that's humans for you.

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
Mark (Spirit of Music):

I've followed most of this thread without commenting previously. It seemed at some point you were happy, maybe even content with your system.

Satisfy yourself, you'll never have a system everyone else likes, and maybe even anyone else. Only you listen with your ears. To paraphrase Robert Jackson, an American Supreme Court Justice: your decision isn't the final one because you are right, you are right because your decision is the final one. Each change will make a difference with some music, some changes won't make a difference with all music. Gear "improvement" is fitful and may only be on some tracks for some people. The chase ends when you're done chasing. Governance of my system has been taken over by a despot, benevolent, but despotic. Good luck with your pursuit or with your treasure as the case may be.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, it's social media. Ked has heard everything, Zu remain his worst, or close to, experience. Why wouldn't he be sarcastic and demeaning about them. Barry really didn't like what he heard, fair game to criticise. You've always offered interesting insights.

Thank the Lord this isn't Twatter.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I don't see any posts singing the praises of Zu speakers apart from Marc.
In fact offhand I can't recall ever reading any in all my time as a member in contrast to the large number of members speaking highly of a number other brands including Avalon and YG.
Perhaps Zus are just a minority taste.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't see any posts singing the praises of Zu speakers apart from Marc.
In fact offhand I can't recall ever reading any in all my time as a member in contrast to the large number of members speaking highly of a number other brands including Avalon and YG.
Perhaps Zus are just a minority taste.

I've only ever heard one pair and I liked them.

I like the chap that does them. He has great taste in music.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Muser, hi, you're new on WBF?
All humans are striving for enjoyment, improvement, w yearning for what might be on the other hand.

My devotion to Zu comes from a bit of an emotional reaction to the full range driver/zero crossover/high efficiency transducer, ie Zu (But also Rethm, Voxativ, and a few others).

What Zu does well, I hear in few other spkrs. However if this presentation doesn't appeal to you, you will hate the Zu sound.

And I'm big enough to highlight where they are challenged, and challenging.

And ironically the better my room, system, acoustics, power, ancilliaries, setup and optimisation have become, every small step becomes a large step, and I'm wringing more and more quality out of them.

But I've also pushed them as far as they can go, so revealing a little more what holds them back in relation to more "sophisticated" spkrs like top horns, Apogees etc.

There's no half way house w Zu, you either love their full, expressive, immediate sound, and make some allowances for being a tad rough at the margins; or you hate their uneven, ragged, murky sound, and don't even perceive any of their plus points.

I'm obv in the former category.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, at shows as all the big guns bore many of us with audiophile cuts, Sean Casey of Zu is well and truly mixing it up. Indeed I've heard the rooms where Zu exhibit may not necessarily have the best sound, but will definitely have some of the best SOUNDS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing