Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, are you suggesting I'm the Emperor?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin, send me a link to these particular Tannoys. I heard the Westminster some time back, and was left a little confused by the experience.

That's because they are rubbish. I don't like them either.

Phone Paul Coupe at Reference Fidelity Components and ask about Tom's Tannoys, and tell him I sent you. If you can be arsed, that is:D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, if you can be arsed to send me a link to the model at least, I'm sure I can be arsed to investigate.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not from what I heard at the HK show. the Avalon Saga was the BEST sounding speaker at the entire show. Blowing YG's top of range, Magico M6, Wilson Alexx and everything else to smithereens with a realistic full range live sounding performance that was superb.

View attachment 43469

I haven't heard the saga. YG can sound pretty bad until they sound right. They cam also sound metallic. Set up right, they stage and decay like stats with more bass and dynamics than stats though less than cones. At a show I will be skeptical

I like Avalon, the Avalon compass diamonds system here is pretty good and he is planning to add more power as we heard it that way sound better. http://zero-distortion.org/brinkmann-balance-2/

I haven't heard the saga or sentinel though

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I haven't heard the saga. YG can sound pretty bad until they sound right. They cam also sound metallic. Set up right, they stage and decay like stats with more bass and dynamics than stats though less than cones. At a show I will be skeptical

I like Avalon, the Avalon compass diamonds system here is pretty good and he is planning to add more power as we heard it that way sound better. http://zero-distortion.org/brinkmann-balance-2/

I haven't heard the saga or sentinel though

There was a bit of that metallic sound with the YG's - Solution amps might do that as well.

Try to hear the Saga or TESSERACT - both pretty special.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well, if you can be arsed to send me a link to the model at least, I'm sure I can be arsed to investigate.

There isn't one. We're in bespoke, custom built land here, man.

You don't honestly think I'd ever recommend anything mainstream do you?:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I can give you his number Marc, he is at Stroud.

Another guy is in Wokingham and has a very musical analog set up, low cost, the guy is classical educated, stop playing music there is great

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just Google the company name I gave you Marc.

Art of Sound threads cover Tom's Tannoys have a search in there. Tom's handle is montesquieu.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Beware of what you wish for Marc.
You have a long relatively narrow room, steeply sloping ceiling, steel cross beams and minimal furnishings plus if I remember correctly a wooden suspended floor.
Saturate that room with high volume sound and it will bounce and reflect all over the place with a highly distorted sound. Curing that with effective acoustic treatment will be very expensive.
A more forensic approach rather than infatuation with expensive horns would pay a lot more dividends IMHO.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
That's because they are rubbish. I don't like them either.

Phone Paul Coupe at Reference Fidelity Components and ask about Tom's Tannoys, and tell him I sent you. If you can be arsed, that is:D

Tannoy Westminsters need power. The biggest mistake that most owners of these speakers make is to power them with SET amps. I also thought they were all garbage until I heard them with more than 50 watts of tube power.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tannoy Westminsters need power. The biggest mistake that most owners of these speakers make is to power them with SET amps. I also thought they were all garbage until I heard them with more than 50 watts of tube power.

They require power but not high damping factor.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, I am investigating acoustic treatments, and it won't be cheap. Fascinating how we might end up at the same conclusion with different viewpoints to start.

You feel my room and acoustic, and choice of spkrs compromised, needing radical therapy, maybe widespread acoustical treatments, I'd go down this road to maximise what I've achieved so far.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Barry, I am investigating acoustic treatments, and it won't be cheap. Fascinating how we might end up at the same conclusion with different viewpoints to start.

You feel my room and acoustic, and choice of spkrs compromised, needing radical therapy, maybe widespread acoustical treatments, I'd go down this road to maximise what I've achieved so far.

Marc see this first post. He was heavily invested in room treatments and still had issues. Best to get speakers that need minimal room treatment, like horns https://www.whatsbestforum.com/show...-Bass-Absorber&p=526265&viewfull=1#post526265

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Mark your prior "fussy in this" comment partially redeemed you,

Keep it up,the seriousness is not really cricket old bean.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you and I may disagree about many things, but we probably agree that one can spend on acoustical treatments and go on yet another Möbius Loop of perceived benefits and possible unresolved issues, or issues that force one to go down another avenue, leading to more Möbius Loops etc.

In effect a complex version of Russian Dolls.

Despite what Barry says, I'm v happy w my sound, and indeed the complex shape of my loft helps acoustics. What other reason could explain why the same gear sounds vastly more neutral and transparent here than in my old room.

Barry unfortunately suffered visiting when my system wasn't on song, and like you he's not a fan of Zu, and indeed neither SETs too.

I'm much happier as the owner and listener of my own system, Ill keep my mind open to spkrs alternatives, esp as I'm considering upgraded version of my current Zus, but I'm also happy to investigate acoustical room impvts.

I believe the bass management system you point to is also sold by the Acustica Applicata rep in the UK.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Marc, was worried some readers might think that we agree and are alike

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Marc I think your room treatment panels should have a baroque bordello type graphical theme. That way if it sounds shite in there post treatment, at least it will look interesting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing