Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

All that remains is possible updated version of my Zus w the new drivers, cabinet and on-board subs (due to come to market in late 2019 or 2020), and potential comprehensive room acoustic treatments, viz Acustica Applicata DAAD panels.

For the time being, things like Jeff's footers c$200 fulfil small itches I need to scratch.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Marc I really can't help saying you should try some other speaker brands but I won't labour the point.
How are the Townshend super tweeters settling in?
My Rock V has not long come back from a major service by the man himself. Sounding awesome now. I should really have done it ages ago but better late than never!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, v well indeed.
With the number for sale s/h I had minimal hopes for them, but they've been more than useful.

Re my Zus, you'll have to take my word for it they were sub optimal the day you came, w modern Tesla valves in my pre doing my overall sound no favours (you might recall we spoke re my previous tubes failing w tube rush, and I didn't want you coming over and hearing that - I should have delayed your visit until I got the more appropriate NOS Voskhod Rocket tubes, the ones in now).

Our mutual friend "gets" Zu, talk to him since he knows why I've persisted.

Btw if you can name me an alternative that will fully saturate a space of 800sq ft/5500 cub ft on 70W, I'll consider them.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Well there is a nice pair of Avalon Ascendants for sale on ebay and not far from you which I am sure our mutual friend would approve of.
Good price and you could dispense with the super tweeters.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Barry, v well indeed.
With the number for sale s/h I had minimal hopes for them, but they've been more than useful.

Re my Zus, you'll have to take my word for it they were sub optimal the day you came, w modern Tesla valves in my pre doing my overall sound no favours (you might recall we spoke re my previous tubes failing w tube rush, and I didn't want you coming over and hearing that - I should have delayed your visit until I got the more appropriate NOS Voskhod Rocket tubes, the ones in now).

Our mutual friend "gets" Zu, talk to him since he knows why I've persisted.

Btw if you can name me an alternative that will fully saturate a space of 800sq ft/5500 cub ft on 70W, I'll consider them.

modded tannoys - 6 to 7k

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, I'm sure your advice is well meaning, but 89dB eff in an 18x48 space off 70W SETs, I don't think so.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Aren't these Tannoys the ones you're now considering Ked? I'd love to hear them at yours, to give me a taste of what they have to offer. Maybe one day.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Aren't these Tannoys the ones you're now considering Ked? I'd love to hear them at yours, to give me a taste of what they have to offer. Maybe one day.

They are the ones I told Ked to go and listen to for ages. Then he did.

I am lending the owner my DAC for a few weeks. When I do so you could turn up and have a listen.

In all honesty I haven't heard a domestic cone speaker sound as good as they do for the money or appreciably more. It is probably my favourite real world system containing sub 10K speakers.

I could live with it. I won't be getting rid of my Duettas for them, but they are good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
These are my backup if I can't fit in big horns. If I can't fit in big horns, options are stats or these, these don't have sweet spot restriction, room indifferent, and as Justin said, more easily made for the real world. Want to give up being an audiophile one day and get on to spinning records and streaming. These are the best for that

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The NATs should be a good match. Marc I really think you'd like them.

The owner is using a 100 Watt Radford re-built. But 50 plus Watts is definitely very good on them. I used my 50 Watt Beard EL84 based amp on them and they were fabulous.

Easy on the ear, plays loud and does it well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, I'm touched by everyone's interest in alternatives for me.

Barry doesn't run Avalons, Justin doesn't run Tannoys, Ked doesn't run anything, I'm good .

I like full range, high efficiency, zero crossover speakers. They have their weaknesses, I've been fully open on these forums about those. But I'm wrangling a very creditable sound, unfortunately my stand-in tubes the day Barry visited were seriously compromising to SQ, so he got a worse impression of my sound (although at its best, my sound would still not be for him).

Ked, playing vinyl and streaming, what a novel concept. What ever gave you the impression playing music at home, esp lps, was the thing to do?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, send me a link to these particular Tannoys. I heard the Westminster some time back, and was left a little confused by the experience.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If I was going to move on from my Zus, the only serious alternative for me based on in depth listening to them over 5 years, synergy w SETs etc, would be AG Duos, s/h would be in the sweet spot cash wise.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey, I'm touched by everyone's interest in alternatives for me.

Barry doesn't run Avalons, Justin doesn't run Tannoys, Ked doesn't run anything, I'm good .

I like full range, high efficiency, zero crossover speakers. They have their weaknesses, I've been fully open on these forums about those. But I'm wrangling a very creditable sound, unfortunately my stand-in tubes the day Barry visited were seriously compromising to SQ, so he got a worse impression of my sound (although at its best, my sound would still not be for him).

Ked, playing vinyl and streaming, what a novel concept. What ever gave you the impression playing music at home, esp lps, was the thing to do?

YG are better than Avalon, and duettas than tannoys (though Justin's are underpowered;))

Last statement was funny though.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, the best jokes have a serious point behind them. And my joke was one of the very very best.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, the best jokes have a serious point behind them. And my joke was one of the very very best.

Your sense of humor and your system are among the very very best. Also your new clothes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Ked, in the modern environment of Fake News, it's good to know some things are undeniably true.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Your sense of humor and your system are among the very very best. Also your new clothes

Does Marc wear Vivianne Westwood?

Tang :D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
YG are better than Avalon, and duettas than tannoys (though Justin's are underpowered;))

Last statement was funny though.

Not from what I heard at the HK show. the Avalon Saga was the BEST sounding speaker at the entire show. Blowing YG's top of range, Magico M6, Wilson Alexx and everything else to smithereens with a realistic full range live sounding performance that was superb.

43069004265_34882311c6_b.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing