Visit to Chris to See Magico M9 and VYGER and Pilium in Southlake, Texas

Understood. Was the M7 that debuted in Paris also cold out of the crate? I ask because it had a similar sound. Is Alon doing any type of break-in on these high dollar speakers at the factory? I would assume that they past all their factory acceptance tests and they would be ready to deliver right away; does the factory send a technician out to re-certify that they still meet factory specifications after the 300 hour break in process?
The pair that debuted in Paris were not broken in. Magico does not do break in other than testing.

Everyone here has their opinion, BUT if I had someone call and want to hear the M7s tonight I would have them come in, explain the 24 hours now of playing time and leave them on the Devialet with Spotify, it sounds that good to me.

I totally understand that when I put on the TT or R2R or even the Extreme it will be an entirely different experience. Not better, entirely different, BUT that does not negate that I can sit and be amazed at the sound right now.

Peter, NOT AT ALL representative of anything. Those videos were taken using Spotify with a Devialet integrated. The M7s had only been played for 18 hours. I had ocean waves playing all last night to start the break in. When I woke up this morning for the heck of it I played a track or two and was amazed how much that I liked the sound. The videos don't even come close to the in room as there is no bass in the videos. In room there is incredible clear hard driving bass. This was for FUN, to show that even speakers out of the box with no hours and the lowest of sources can make one enjoy music.

It's amazing that people can't understand that some people (ME) just post the videos for fun, NOT as a representation of what a system sounds like. GEEEEEZZZZZZ.
What fun has generated by these videos in this forum? Instead, they only generate bickering

Reactions: Al M.
Tinka says I'm a little clumsy. When I walk close to components I generally keep my hands behind my back to make sure I don't touch anything, and to make sure I don't make my host nervous that I am about to touch something.
Ked should learn from you, he normally ends up DJ'ing with 2 10000$ carts at a time ! :eek:

What fun has generated by these videos in this forum? Instead, they only generate bickering
Yep, it is what it is. I am SO RELIEVED. On Wednesday/Thursday I installed 450lb Lorenzo LM1 at my other location in Manhattan. Then on Friday/Saturday I installed the 550 lb M7s in Brooklyn. Not a scratch on either pair. So relieved. Could care less about this nonsense. But it's entertaining while watching basketball.

Reactions: Alrainbow
Al,

These were posted in my Rhapsody Listening Room thread, right after the postings of the speakers in the garage a few hours prior. The people who follow Rhapsody got that. Having those videos dragged into this thread was not my doing.

I have a lot of customers, friends and many who have visited my place. They get what I am doing, sorry so many don't understand, but it is what it is.

In the thread where my videos were appropriately posted there is no criticism of the videos only here. Again, it is what it is. I'm a happy camper because I like what the M7s sound like even with a Devialet and Spotify. To each their own.

Bob, I brought your two M7 videos into this discussion because they sound remarkably different from Ron’s background quality video. It was an attempt to make a distinction between what I thought are two better sounding videos versus one that I do not think is good. I don’t see the criticisms to which you allude. Even “right out of the box“, your two videos sound completely different from Ron’s. But I understand that for you it’s not about video quality. I respect that.

Is Rhapsody audio not an advertiser with WBF ? Maybe Ron was interested in hearing the big Magicos , showing impartiality to his competing product as a audio dealer and making a nice video for a advertiser at the same time ? Many hats at once, but Ron does juggle them quite competently most of the time ! :)
Here is a tip-bit for you:) Chris in Dallas is no longer a Rhapsody location. I will let Chris announce what he is doing. Chris will still be able to sell certain lines/brands that Rhapsody imports but Chris is going to do something on his own in the Dallas area. Stay tuned to hear any details on this directly from Chris Hesse.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lagonda
Bob, I brought your two M7 videos into this discussion because they sound remarkably different from Ron’s background quality video. It was an attempt to make a distinction between what I thought are two better sounding videos versus one that I do not think is good. I don’t see the criticisms to which you allude. Even “right out of the box“, your two videos sound completely different from Ron’s. But I understand that for you it’s not about video quality. I respect that.
I know Peter. I didn't like the sound of Ron's video hence I agree with Alon about not allowing YT videos of the flagship M9.

I actually like the sound of my two videos. Others don't, that's fine. The speakers are brand new and source was dumbed down.

My room is a more intimate setting, but it's strange that the M9 video was using the VYGER and full Pilium and I was streaming from Spotify with a Devialet integrated with on-board chip dac. That makes me scratch my head as well. Crazy stuff.

Just for Carlos, when I have the M7s broken in I will play a few vinyl cuts and post some M7 videos.....in a few weeks from now.

Reactions: PeterA
On the flip side over the last two hours I received one pm and one phone call from actual interested M7 customers that saw my two videos that I posted here, on FB and IG. I have one demo set up in 2 weeks from now and another later this week.

I don't do videos for the 20 guys that argue about the videos here, it's for the few hundred/thousand eyeballs that see posts/thread etc here as well as FB and IG. Trust me, it's good business.

Understood. Was the M7 that debuted in Paris also cold out of the crate? I ask because it had a similar sound. Is Alon doing any type of break-in on these high dollar speakers at the factory? I would assume that they past all their factory acceptance tests and they would be ready to deliver right away; does the factory send a technician out to re-certify that they still meet factory specifications after the 300 hour break in process?
No Magico does not send out a technician out after 300 hours to certify that the speakers are still in spec. Although I visit all of my high $$$ customers as time goes on to make sure that they are happy campers.

The speakers are ready to deliver and work just fine. They sound better a few hundred hours later than out of the crate. I've delivered a few hundred speakers that this would also apply to, not only Magico but so many I could not count how many over the years.

No Magico does not send out a technician out after 300 hours to certify that the speakers are still in spec. Although I visit all of my high $$$ customers as time goes on to make sure that they are happy campers.

The speakers are ready to deliver and work just fine. They sound better a few hundred hours later than out of the crate. I've delivered a few hundred speakers that this would also apply to, not only Magico but so many I could not count how many over the years.

I don't know of any manufacturer that does complete break-in of their products. If at all, they only perform the initial break-in they deem necessary in order to be able to perform certification testing. Magico is just following industry practice.

I don't know of any manufacturer that does complete break-in of their products. If at all, they only perform the initial break-in they deem necessary in order to be able to perform certification testing. Magico is just following industry practice.
Agreed. Nobody does that. It's hard enough getting products shipped in a reasonable time vs another week or two for burning in. I actually like hearing products break in. It's a pita but I enjoy hearing amps, speakers, cables, servers, you name it break in. Big capacitors and transformers are the worst.

Congratulations Bob. If those two M7 videos rewarded you with two auditions and possibly more sales, good for you. After reading the comments on some threads and on the YouTube influencers channels there is easy money to be made. Those of us that have been around for a while and have been exposed to great sounding systems are just a bit harder to please.

Looking at the Rhapsody videos on YouTube, the red bars indicate that I have listened to most of them. I can't think of a negative thought I had about any of them.

M7, yes, there is some real bass there through my Sony MDR Z1R headphones.

I believe that the rules should be different when you are talking about $750K speakers. Industry standards should not apply to a $750K set of speakers or for that matter the lower costs M7’s. Just think of how many Porsche 911’s that kind of money will buy you. When I take in my cars to the local Porsche dealership they perform an annual tuneup as part of the yearly service, no it’s not free but you get the picture. Gotta keep things in their proper perspective.

Agreed. Nobody does that. It's hard enough getting products shipped in a reasonable time vs another week or two for burning in. I actually like hearing products break in. It's a pita but I enjoy hearing amps, speakers, cables, servers, you name it break in. Big capacitors and transformers are the worst.

Yes, I like hearing break-in too. It's part of what keeps the audiophile juices flowing, weird as this may sound ;).

Reactions: Rhapsody
Is Rhapsody audio not an advertiser with WBF ? Maybe Ron was interested in hearing the big Magicos , showing impartiality to his competing product as a audio dealer and making a nice video for a advertiser at the same time ? Many hats at once, but Ron does juggle them quite competently most of the time ! :)
Thank you, Milan.

Please note that nowhere on this thread have I mentioned Rhapsody. I'm happy to tell you what I had in my mind.

In my mind my visit had nothing to do with Rhapsody. Given the opportunity who wouldn't take an Uber to spend even an hour with M9s and an hour with Botticellis? As a lifelong "planar person" I honestly was most excited to hear the Botticellis. I probably would've taken an Uber over there just for the opportunity to see the M9s in person even if Chris couldn't play music for me!

I scheduled my visit with Todd weeks in advance of SWAF. Just a few days before SWAF it dawned on me that it also was a great opportunity to visit Chris and to see and hear the M9 and the Botticelli. I was free after 2:00 PM on Sunday. I would've loved to have spent the whole afternoon and evening with Chris. Due to the late request on my part for the visit Chris was available only between 3:00 PM and 5:00, very sharp. I am grateful that Chris could accommodate me at all.

Both the Magico system and the Alsyvox system sounded amazing. I think Chris' incredible rooms had a lot to do with this. If I put either of those complete systems in my listening room would each of them sound as amazing? Of course not! That's why I personally will never have a room + system that qualifies for my own personal top-tier of rooms + systems.

I think some WBF members want detailed sonic impressions of the loudspeakers in these systems. I think some WBF members want comparative impressions between the loudspeakers in these systems and the loudspeakers in other systems. Any such detailed or nuanced impressions -- by me or by anybody else -- based on 15 minutes of listening would be methodologically and intellectually dishonest.

All I could determine in 15 minutes of listening to three tracks I selected on each system is that both systems sound amazing. Anybody interested in purchasing state-of-the-art dynamic driver speakers has to audition M9s or M7s -- as well as Wilson XVX, YG Sonja XV, Goebel Divin Majestic, Estelon Forza, Rockport Lyra, Gryphon Kodos, VSA Ultra 7/11, Zellaton Reference, etc. Anybody interested in purchasing state-of-the-art planar dipole speakers has to audition Alsyvox -- as well as Clarisys, Magnepan 30.1, MartinLogan Neolith, Sound Lab, etc.

There are many world-class systems. I think each of the rooms + systems in my top-tier are world-class systems. I think virtually all audiophiles who spent 15 minutes listening to each of Chris' systems and each of the home rooms + systems in my top tier would come away thinking "amazing."

What is fascinating is that because Chris' rooms are substantially identical, somebody visiting Chris can come to his/her personal conclusion about which system he/she personally likes best.

*Robert Harley's and Michael Fremer's loudspeaker reviews are methodologically and intellectually honest because each of them brings different loudspeakers into the exact same room with the exact same, or with substantially the same, associated components. I can't do that. And traveling around the world visiting amazing rooms + systems does not allow me to do that.

Last edited:
Congratulations Bob. If those two M7 videos rewarded you with two auditions and possibly more sales, good for you. After reading the comments on some threads and on the YouTube influencers channels there is easy money to be made. Those of us that have been around for a while and have been exposed to great sounding systems are just a bit harder to please.
I am only concerned with someone's opinion after they have visited Rhapsody Brooklyn and sat and listened in room vs opinions from watching my YT videos taken with an iPhone. The videos are just teasers and they work for me or I wouldn't post them.

Thank you, Milan.

Please note that nowhere on this thread have I mentioned Rhapsody. I'm happy to tell you what I had in my mind.

In my mind my visit had nothing to do with Rhapsody. Given the opportunity who wouldn't take an Uber to spend even an hour with M9s and an hour with Botticellis? As a lifelong "planar person" I honestly was most excited to hear the Botticellis. I probably would've taken an Uber over there just for the opportunity to see the M9s in person even if Chris couldn't play music for me!

I scheduled my visit with Todd weeks in advance of SWAF. Just a few days before SWAF it dawned on me that it also was a great opportunity to visit Chris and to see and hear the M9 and the Botticelli. I was free after 2:00 PM on Sunday. I would've loved to have spent the whole afternoon and evening with Chris. Due to the late request on my part for the visit Chris was available only between 3:00 PM and 5:00, very sharp. I am grateful that Chris could accommodate me at all.

Both the Magico system and the Alsyvox system sounded amazing. I think Chris' incredible rooms had a lot to do with this. If I put either of those complete systems in my listening room would each of them sound as amazing? Of course not! That's why I personally will never have a room + system that qualifies for my own personal top-tier of rooms + systems.

I think some WBF members want detailed sonic impressions of the loudspeakers in these systems. I think some WBF members want comparative impressions between the loudspeakers in these systems and the loudspeakers in other systems. Any such detailed or nuanced impressions -- by me or by anybody else -- based on 15 minutes of listening would be methodologically and intellectually dishonest.

All I could determine in 15 minutes of listening to three tracks I selected on each system is that both systems sound amazing. Anybody interested in purchasing state-of-the-art dynamic driver speakers has to audition M9s or M7s -- as well as Wilson XVX, YG Sonja XV, Goebel Divin Majestic, Estelon Forza, Rockport Lyra, Gryphon Kodos, VSA Ultra 7/11, Zellaton Reference, etc. Anybody interested in purchasing state-of-the-art planar dipole speakers has to audition Alsyvox -- as well as Clarisys, Magnepan 30.1, MartinLogan Neolith, Sound Lab, etc.

There are many world-class systems. I think each of the rooms + systems in my top-tier are world-class systems. I think virtually all audiophiles who spent 15 minutes listening to each of Chris' systems and each of the home rooms + systems in my top tier would come away thinking "amazing."

What is fascinating is that because Chris' rooms are substantially identical, somebody visiting Chris can come to his/her personal conclusion about which system he/she personally likes best.

*Robert Harley's and Michael Fremer's loudspeaker reviews are methodologically and intellectually honest because each of them brings different loudspeakers into the exact same room with the exact same, or with substantially the same, associated components. I can't do that. And traveling around the world visiting amazing rooms + systems does not allow me to do that.
Ron, if that post accompanied your original video this thread would have a totally different air to it and I’d likely not have replied at all.

I know many people can tell what a system sounds like from videos.
No critique of you but for the folks who base performance opinions from videos, all I can say is 2 + 2 = 5. Or maybe it's 7.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.
On the flip side over the last two hours I received one pm and one phone call from actual interested M7 customers that saw my two videos that I posted here, on FB and IG. I have one demo set up in 2 weeks from now and another later this week.

I don't do videos for the 20 guys that argue about the videos here, it's for the few hundred/thousand eyeballs that see posts/thread etc here as well as FB and IG. Trust me, it's good business.
Yes a good system video will create interest but on the flip side, a poor system video like the one posted by Ron might do the opposite, no?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing