Vishay Z-Foil vs Audio Note Non-Magnetic Resistors

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I'd like to upgrade stock resistors in my tube preamp (ARC RefAnn) and have narrowed down the choice to two manufacturers: Vishay (Z-Foil) and Audio Note (non-magnetic). Did anyone compare Z-Foil with the best from Audio Note in your modding projects? If so, what did each contribute to the sound? What was it you liked or disliked about each and what would you recommend to use in a tube preamp?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The Vishay metal foil resistors are excellent. Audio Note also makes great caps but I have not compared tham. can't go wrong with the Vishays, very neutral.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
The Vishay metal foil resistors are excellent. Audio Note also makes great caps but I have not compared tham. can't go wrong with the Vishays, very neutral.
Where did you use Z-Foils? Please describe the top end of the Z-foils.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
No experience with current AN resistors yet plenty with the old Shinkoh and the magnetic AN.

Nice as the Shinkoh are I find them incredibly coloured compared to the z-foils. Also less dynamic, transparent, detailed. Yet, Shinkoh are by far the safer choice. The unvarnished truth may be a bit excessive for some systems.

Not sure the z-foils have a suffucient voltage rating to be used as plate loads even if their dissipation is not exceeded.

I assume that the non magnetic AN are comparable to the old Shinkoh but have no idea what the silver AN are like.

Reactions: Barry

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Where did you use Z-Foils? Please describe the top end of the Z-foils.

I replaced the resistors in a tube buffer / preamp that had high rel resistors (forgot the brand) with the Vishays. Significant benefit in clarity and neutrality. I think the tube buffer / preamp was from Purity Audio.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I replaced the resistors in a tube buffer / preamp that had high rel resistors (forgot the brand) with the Vishays. Significant benefit in clarity and neutrality. I think the tube buffer / preamp was from Purity Audio.
You didn't find the Vishay's top end harsh or bright at all, did you?

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Nice as the Shinkoh are I find them incredibly coloured compared to the z-foils.
What words would you use to describe the sound of z-foils?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You didn't find the Vishay's top end harsh or bright at all, did you?
Not at all. I'm sure you already this but the Vishays are considered one of the best most neutral resistors. I plan to also use them in my recently installed Jensen high to low output converter subwoofer boxes.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Wish I could answer your question.

I'm still searching for 11 ohm at 2 watt resistors for my tube amp.

They are out there, just not carried by the big reputable sources, low demand I guess.

If you can find a 3 or 5 watt just use that instead. The wattage is how much they can handle, so bigger is only really a problem if it's out of spec or too large physically.

Reactions: kach22i

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Not at all. I'm sure you already this but the Vishays are considered one of the best most neutral resistors. I plan to also use them in my recently installed Jensen high to low output converter subwoofer boxes.
Yes, problem with Z-Foils is that their values are rather small. So, I will surely use them everywhere I can. But they will only cover about 50% of my needs. For larger values I'll probably have to use Audi Notes as I don't see any other decent alternatives around. I wonder if anyone on this forum used Audio Note Silver Tantalum Non-Magnetic resistors? Some feedback on those is much needed.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I looked up Z-Foil and they describe it as something in their Bulk Metal Foil resistor line.

Not tin to dampen out vibrations?

Something heavier?

These metal film resistors (see below) are going to be better than what I have, just have to double check the tolerance.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/CPF211R000JKB14?qs=r9s7qWT5I1UpUeXAc0r4NQ==

This is what a friend wrote to me a few years ago regarding my two SE100's........Quote

if you decide for carbon comp or metal film it should be carbon comp or metal film on all tube board and both amps......

You have to solder both sides to be sure.

Lift the resistors about 3mm of the board (use a shim for consistent job) before soldering.

This way the air circulates around the resistor cooling it better and promoting board longevity.

End Quote.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I looked up Z-Foil and they describe it as something in their Bulk Metal Foil resistor line.

Not tin to dampen out vibrations?

Something heavier?

These metal film resistors (see below) are going to be better than what I have, just have to double check the tolerance.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/CPF211R000JKB14?qs=r9s7qWT5I1UpUeXAc0r4NQ==

This is what a friend wrote to me a few years ago regarding my two SE100's........Quote

if you decide for carbon comp or metal film it should be carbon comp or metal film on all tube board and both amps......

You have to solder both sides to be sure.

Lift the resistors about 3mm of the board (use a shim for consistent job) before soldering.

This way the air circulates around the resistor cooling it better and promoting board longevity.

End Quote.

Vishay makes the finest resistors in the world. Their Zero TCR resistors were pioneered over 3 decades ago and were rapidly used in the finest audio applications.
http://www.vishaypg.com/docs/63003/vhp100.pdf
The first company that I know about that used the VHP100 was Spectral where they were used in the most critical applications. They were not widely used due to their extremely high cost (10x higher than a typical metal film resistor of other brands.) Vishay resistors have lower inductance value than other brands (induction by definition opposes current flow and thus low inductance design is a very good thing for a resistor.) as well as infintesimal thermal noise which really made them famous. Wilson popularized the use of their high watt resistors that are easily seen on the back of many of their speakers. (I have a drawer full of them from my crossover building days of yesteryear along with dozens of highly sought after but discontinued BlackGate capacitors). Vishay resistors are the very top of the pecking order in audio componentry.

Vishay was founded in 1962 in Israel by Dr. Felix Zandman., a holocaust survivor. The company that started as one man’s vision has grown over the years to become a leader in the global electronics industry.and transformed itself from a start-up company to a broad-line manufacturer of electronic components doing 1.8B of sales annually in over 200 countries It acquired it's initial 50% of Dale in 1987. More recent whole acquisitions include such top names as Siliconix, Telefunken (1998) , the infrared components business of Infineon, General Semiconductor, Dale, Draloric, Sprague, Vitramon, BCcomponents (former passive components businesses of Philips Electronics and Beyschlag) and Roederstein (1993; the preferred resistor in many ARC components). They are now headquartered in Malvern, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. I used to drive by the plant regularly when I lived in Philly and always thought it was unusual that their perimeter security looked more like Fort Knox than a simple electronics company !

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Not at all. I'm sure you already this but the Vishays are considered one of the best most neutral resistors.
A few of my friends are very excited about the Path Audio resistors from Poland. They all say they are very neutral and natural sounding...

D8ABCEE7-80AC-495A-9541-6BEBCEC84D60.jpeg

http://www.pathaudio.eu/

Reactions: sbo6

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'd like to upgrade stock resistors in my tube preamp (ARC RefAnn) and have narrowed down the choice to two manufacturers: Vishay (Z-Foil) and Audio Note (non-magnetic). Did anyone compare Z-Foil with the best from Audio Note in your modding projects? If so, what did each contribute to the sound? What was it you liked or disliked about each and what would you recommend to use in a tube preamp?

It depends on where you plan on using them. Personally, I would not use AN although I have not tried their new ones. Z-foil would be great, possibly the most neutral and accurate choice, for any small signal applications. For cathode or power supply Mills Wirewound is pretty neutral. I've used Riken or the newer Amtrans carbon film for gridstoppers, these are very accurate and not at all like old carbon comps.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Texas Components, the US manufacturer of Z-foil resistors, shows values of 10 to 100K ohms. The voltage rating is 200V and .4watt. They will make custom values for you and you can inquire about that on their US website. Despite having ordered and used a few hundred (they actually emailed me when I hadn't ordered in awhile), I couldn't tell you what a special order may cost. There is no minimum order quantity - I've order as few as 2 and as many as 60.

The Tx2575s / Z-foils are very natural sounding. They are not bright, but are very revealing. I've used as many as 30+ in a signal path of a phonostage with improvement and no deleterious impact, but had to change other parts (caps) to compensate. As you know, modifying anything that was properly voiced to begin with argues for adding a few at a time and stopping when you get the sound you want. I wouldn't replace everything (Kevin Hayes at VAC wouldn't either). If there's something wrong with the sound when you've finished, it's more likely due to other parts in the circuit that are causing it.

I may try some in my REF 40 around the gain stage and cathode followers, although I haven't done any research yet. These are much better than the Dales mentioned elsewhere. Can't speak to the Audio Note resistors though I have also tried Resista, Shinkoh, Takman, PRP, and Holcos among others. AN Kaisei caps are quite colored compared to the Black Gates they were suppose to emulate but of course that's something else again.

Please let us know how you make out!

Last edited:

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I discovered z-foil around 2004 reading some comments by Mike Elliott, at this time designer of Altavista electronics after the long experience with Counterpoint brand.
He loved these resistors and used in the crucial stages of his upgrades reporting about a perfect mix of detail, neutrality and sweetness. I have One of these Power amps (now for sale actually, I bought It in 2006...).
In these years a friend of mine, a passionated DIY now unfortunatly passed made some comparison in input stages between resistors z-foil and other various resistors: Roederstein, other model of Vishay and a few others comprising one type made by Audio Note but I don't remember which kind so I can't report anything except for his preference for z-foils nonetheless he find them too much pricey (he was educated to experimenting with resistors costing a few cents each...).
Just my two cents...
Marco

Reactions: kach22i and Barry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing