US Anti-Doping Agency charges Armstrong

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is really big news .....

By JIM VERTUNO, AP

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — For Lance Armstrong, the doping allegations aren't going away. In fact, they're starting all over again.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has filed formal charges against the seven-time Tour de France winner, threatening to strip him of his victories in the storied cycling race.

Armstrong, who forcefully denied the accusations, could face a lifetime ban from the sport if he is found to have used performance-enhancing drugs. The move by USADA immediately bans him from competing in triathlons, which he turned to after he retired from cycling last year.

Armstrong has been dogged by doping allegations since his first Tour victory in 1999, but had hoped his fight to be viewed as a clean champion was finally won after U.S. federal prosecutors closed a two-year criminal probe in February without bringing any charges. Armstrong has said the investigation took a heavy emotional toll and he was relieved when it ended.

But USADA officials insisted they would continue to pursue their own probe into Armstrong and his former teams and doctors, and notified him of the charges in a 15-page letter on Tuesday. Unlike federal prosecutors, USADA isn't burdened by proving a crime occurred, just that there was use of performance-enhancing drugs.

In its letter, USADA said its investigation included evidence dating back to 1996. It also included the new charge that Armstrong blood samples taken in 2009 and 2010 are ``fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.'' Armstrong came out of his first retirement to race in the Tour de France those two years.

Armstrong, who was in France while training for a triathlon, issued a statement dismissing the latest allegations ``baseless'' and ``motivated by spite.'' Even though he last won the Tour seven years ago, the 40-year-old Armstrong remains a popular - if polarizing - figure, partly because of his charity work for cancer patients.

USADA's letter also said the agency was bringing doping charges against Johan Bruyneel, manager of Armstrong's winning teams; team doctors Pedro Celaya and Luis Garcia del Moral; team trainer Pepe Marti, and consulting doctor Michele Ferrari.

The USADA letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, accuses Armstrong of using and promoting the use of the blood booster EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone, human growth hormone and anti-inflammatory steroids. The letter doesn't cite specific examples, but says the charges are based on evidence gathered in an investigation of Armstrong's teams, including interviews with witnesses who aren't named.

Cycling's governing body, the International Cycling Union, which collected the 2009 and 2010 samples cited in the USADA letter, said it was not involved in the anti-doping group's investigation.

According to USADA's letter, more than 10 cyclists as well as team employees will testify they either saw Armstrong dope or heard him tell them he used EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone from 1996 to 2005. Armstrong won the Tour de France every year from 1999-2005.

During their investigation, federal prosecutors subpoenaed Armstrong supporters and ex-teammates to testify in Los Angeles. One of the most serious accusations came during a ``60 Minutes'' interview when former teammate Tyler Hamilton said he saw Armstrong use EPO during the 1999 Tour de France and in preparation for the 2000 and 2001 tours.

Early in the criminal investigation, Armstrong attorney's accused USADA of offering cyclists a ``sweetheart deal'' if they testify or provide evidence against Armstrong.

In a letter to USADA last week, Armstrong attorney Robert Luskin noted that USADA Chief Executive Officer Travis Tygart participated in witness interviews with federal investigator Jeff Novitzky during the criminal probe.

``It is a vendetta, which has nothing to do with learning the truth and everything to do with settling a score and garnering publicity at Lance's expense,'' Luskin wrote.

In a statement, Tygart said, ``USADA only initiates matters supported by the evidence. We do not choose whether or not we do our job based on outside pressures, intimidation or for any reason other than the evidence.''

Armstrong has until June 22 to file a written response to the charges. The case could ultimately go before an arbitration panel to consider evidence. The USADA letter said in that case a hearing should be expected by November.

Armstrong, maintained his innocence, saying in his statement: ``I have never doped, and, unlike many of my accusers, I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one. ...

``Any fair consideration of these allegations has and will continue to vindicate me.''

The Associated Press

I talked to a friend who is cyclist about this a while back when one of his teammates gave he interview on 60 Minutes about Lance getting blood infusion. My friend said that was basically standard practice. And that just about every team was probably doing it then to win those races.

IMO, it seems probable that Lance was doping ( given his results) and amazing that he wasn't caught before:eek:. OTOH, IF all of the competitors were doing the same thing ( which isn't by any means a 'given') then I guess Lance would still be the best of the bunch, LOL;).

Don't they have anything better to do at this time and with our money than to waste their time on this witchhunt. Not saying he didn't do it, but who really cares anymore? Same as the government bringing charges against Barry Bonds. There are criminals running around and this is what they're wasting their time on?

Of course he was doping. He couldn't have been competitive on that level at that time if he hadn't been doping. If they're going to strip him of his victories, they'd better investigate the guys who came in 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

This issue is soaked through with hypocrisy. The day some star in his prime, someone worth lots of money to the sport, to the league, to the professional team and all the corn flakes and sports drinks he sponsors tests positive and is immediately banned from the sport for life is the day this can be taken seriously. Until then, it's politics.

Tim

This issue is soaked through with hypocrisy. The day some star in his prime, someone worth lots of money to the sport, to the league, to the professional team and all the corn flakes and sports drinks he sponsors tests positive and is immediately banned from the sport for life is the day this can be taken seriously. Until then, it's politics.

Tim

+1

I talked to a friend who is cyclist about this a while back when one of his teammates gave he interview on 60 Minutes about Lance getting blood infusion. My friend said that was basically standard practice. And that just about every team was probably doing it then to win those races.

Which leads to the obvious next question: if Lance is stripped of his titles, to whom are they then given, since it seems likely or certain that all of the other top finishers were equally guilty of doping??

Which leads to the obvious next question: if Lance is stripped of his titles, to whom are they then given, since it seems likely or certain that all of the other top finishers were equally guilty of doping??

that's why no one is talking

Really, it's time for the global sports industry to put a frame around the "doping era," declare all titles and records within that frame impacted by doping and not necessarily comparable to titles and records prior to that era, declare an end to the "doping era," beginning the moment they find the testicular fortitude to enforce the rules regardless of the cost, and move on.

Or not.

But the current inconsistency, denial and lack of enforcement obviously influenced by revenues is just stupid. Makes me glad I'm not a sports fan. We all know musicians have been doping for generations. We accept it.

Tim

If Armstrong is stripped of his titles, you have to go all the way back to Miguel Indurain (1991-1995) for a TdF champion that has not been implicated or convicted in a doping charge.

he had 400+ blood test through his career that he passed. There are alot of sour grapes from x teamates who supported Armstrong in the Pelaton, but didn't get the glory and $$$ (Think Endorsements) when he won. Maybe he did maybe he didn't. These witnesses like Tyler Hamilton are suspect, imo. If he in fact was and everybody else was, the playing field was still level. This witch hunt blows. Armstrong was best cyclist ever...imo.

he had 400+ blood test through his career that he passed. There are alot of sour grapes from x teamates who supported Armstrong in the Pelaton, but didn't get the glory and $$$ (Think Endorsements) when he won. Maybe he did maybe he didn't. These witnesses like Tyler Hamilton are suspect, imo. If he in fact was and everybody else was, the playing field was still level. This witch hunt blows. Armstrong was best cyclist ever...imo.

Probably one of the best athletes ever regardless of the sport. I didn't realize he had passed more than 400 blood tests. Did he ever fail one? If not, this should be a non-issue.

Tim

He has NEVER failed a drug rest

Technically, that is not quite true. It was reported (alas, I can't quote a source) that Lance's results from in-race testing at the 1998 Tour de France (his first after cancer) were showing elevated levels of synthetic EPO. Since one of the legitimate uses of the substance is to alleviate the side effects of dialysis and chemotherapy, he was granted a waiver. At least one other rider publicly called it a double standard.

To my knowledge, that is the only case.

I speak as a geek-level fan of the Tour de France. It was Stephen Roche's dramatic win over Pedro Delgado in 1987 that inspired me to branch out from distance running into the running/cycling biathlon. Then Lemond's comeback. Five consecutive wins 1991-1995 by Indurain. His gracious acceptance that a sixth win in 1996 wasn't going to materialize and didn't abandon like a baby. The Riis/Ullrich drama of '97. Pantani comeback from serious injury to win in '98. Then the Lance streak. Few events have consistently delivered this much human drama, elite sport and good TV.

And it's never been clean. Delgado tested positive in-race when he won in 1988, but the other riders threatened to strike if he was ousted. The Dutch team TVM had to abandon in 1991 when all riders were poisoned by a tainted batch of a intravenous "nutrition supplement" soon to be banned as a masking agent for steriod use. Riis later admitted to doping in his 1996 win. Pantani tested positive later in his career (and died from a cocaine overdose). It was the cost of doing business.

Tolerance went to zero when European countries made it a criminal offense to transport EPO, HGH, et. al. across borders. Low-level team functionaries then were being detained and arrested in great numbers merely driving from event to event. It reached the level of Scandal during the 1998 TdF when French authorities raided the hotel of Team Festina and seized their drug stash. Poster child and public scapegoat was Richard Virenque.

After that, I can't think of an single elite cyclist except Lance that hasn't been suspected or busted at one time or another. And I wanted to believe Lance stayed at the top because: 1) he could afford the best of everything; 2) he was better organized and trained; and 3) it was simply more important to him that to anyone else. The knucklehead **** that undid his competitors simply didn't happen to Lance (and his team).

Read this New Yorker Magazine profile of Lance from 2002. "After I watched Armstrong train and spent time with his coaches, the only way I could be convinced that he uses illegal drugs would be to see him inject them."

No credible witness has yet to testify to witnessing such an act. And I'll be disappointed if one does.

-----The cycling world competitions are going to be simply banned for life!
Or they're going to be some drastic measures taken.

* I believe that we are only seeing the beginning of a huge shift in sports businesses.
Because after all, what's the point of teaching our children about?

That's the ridiculousness of it!

-----The cycling world competitions are going to be simply banned for life!
Or they're going to be some drastic measures taken.

* I believe that we are only seeing the beginning of a huge shift in sports businesses.
Because after all, what's the point of teaching our children about?

Won't ever happen. Been tried and too many protested. One idea was also to suspend the country's governing organization and competitors from participating if more than 2 or three athletes tested positive. Then they tried big fines. Only works for the poor countries.

They should do like Olympic Lifting. Every decade they change the weight classes and wipe out all the records and start over again ;) True.

It is amazing the power of Sports competitions (games) in our world since the beginning of times ...
... And up to right now.

Look for example at Hockey, Football, Soccer, .... and all the concussions!
Look at the youngsters, and adult coaches, like in Pennsylvania for example.
Look at the violence from fans in Soccer.

Tiger Woods (golfing), and all that Jazz ...

What is it that we are truly teaching our children?

Of course, there are good sport attitudes out there,
but in general the dollar's sign has eclipsed this somehow ...
Athletism is now a business, and no more true physical abilities (and spiritual).

Formula One racing? Do you know Bernie Ecclestone?

Cyclism racing is a great sport, and it's very sad what's happening right now with Armstrong.

he had 400+ blood test through his career that he passed.
In the 60 minutes interview of his teammate, at least one case was described where they were caught and money was donated to the organization and then a "pass" grade given.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing