Upcoming Nagra turntable

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

This will certainly be interesting !
And with the Swiss tradition of very high price i am sure ! :oops: No real picture, for something being released in the fall ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I saw this. Given in the HD line up, I sure it will carry the commensurate price. I don't want to get rid of my GPA Monaco, but I might want a 2nd table one day, I always thought about going back to an SME, but I imagine this will be quite a table.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
And with the Swiss tradition of very high price i am sure ! :oops: No real picture, for something being released in the fall ?
Haha, marketing teasers...then more info trickles soon I am sure !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very interesting to see I turntable being developed by a electronics company. Another turntable hitting the market to join the AF Zero, the SAT, and the new Kronos.
I agree. Interesting that Nagra has a lot of experience in motors from their tape decks. I wonder if they are using a Nagra motor or something more off the shelf like a Pabst motor typical is some belt drives. Given their wording below, seems they may have outsourced the motor but built to their specs? Just a guess.

From the Nagra newsletter:

https://www.nagraaudio.com/newslett...ail&utm_term=0_7884354c0a-f3d50e606c-74860857

NAGRA HD TURNTABLE​

• Aerospace Exium / acrylic platter for a very low resonance and high density providing maximum inertia
  • Dual motor belt-drive inspired by the legendary Nagra IV-S for low flutter
  • Suspended chassis with a self-resonance below 3 Hz, way below the cartridge bandwidth
  • Supercapacitor power supply for very low noise and speed stability
  • Automatic speed correction for 33 1/3 rpm long play and 45 rpm
  • Pitch control for correcting LP playback speed
  • Chassis and sub-chassis with layered construction for low resonance and high rigidity, like the HD PREAMP and HD DAC X, to prevent any sound coloration from the mechanical parts
  • Dual geometry adjustment for perfect balance
  • Oversized steel and bronze precision main bearing

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I’m a big NAGRA fan, and owner of their Tube DAC. It’s interesting that they chose to release a turntable, because the Tube DAC is the only DAC I have heard that sounds better than vinyl. I have a pretty nice turntable: Kondo IO-M, all silver Kondo Japan wiring to a Kondo SUT, on an SME V-12 arm and Brinkmann Bardo table with the RoNT II tube supply and their new hybrid tube. It sounds great. The Tube DAC sounds better, with none of the hassles of playing vinyl.

I was hoping NAGRA would release a modern version of a reel to reel instead, as these generally have even better sound quality, and it’s - after all - what NAGRA is known for.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
I’m a big NAGRA fan, and owner of their Tube DAC. It’s interesting that they chose to release a turntable, because the Tube DAC is the only DAC I have heard that sounds better than vinyl. I have a pretty nice turntable: Kondo IO-M, all silver Kondo Japan wiring to a Kondo SUT, on an SME V-12 arm and Brinkmann Bardo table with the RoNT II tube supply and their new hybrid tube. It sounds great. The Tube DAC sounds better, with none of the hassles of playing vinyl.

I was hoping NAGRA would release a modern version of a reel to reel instead, as these generally have even better sound quality, and it’s - after all - what NAGRA is known for.
Ditto…

vbw,
-a

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Surge1, great point on releasing a modern reel to reel.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I’m sure it will be stunning sounding, it certainly looks stunning!
You have to applaud NAGRA for even making something like this. There is no way they are making a big profit, if any. Do the math. R&D will cost just as much as selling 70 of these, less dealer margins, shipping, travel, warranty, etc.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I talked with the Nagra dealer in Hong Kong.
The net price of it will be more than usd200k (the proprietary tonearm included).
o_O

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Photos :

showimage (7).jpeg
20211126193632_Nagra-Reference-Anniversary-top-leftFrontWeb.jpg
showimage (6).jpeg
showimage (8).jpeg
20211126193632_Nagra-Reference-Anniversary-Drivedetails-Web.jpg
showimage (9).jpeg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I heard the Nagra Reference Turntable and Nagra Reference cartridge yesterday at my dealer. All I can say is WOW. Just pulls you into an incredibly beguiling presentation devoid of noise and such a rock solid foundation. I don't want to comment on the price.

I am seriously considering ordering the Nagra Reference Cartridge to go along with my Allaerts Formula 1 and Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement.

If you have the chance to listen to this table, It's well worth the time !!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Only one arm possible ?
It is made only for the Nagra arm, however you can have multiple Nagra arm wands. My dealer has 2 to swap cartridges.

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing