Unusual fruits you have enjoyed

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How about a discussion about discovering new fruits to eat? Our markets are becoming multi-national with more opportunities to go beyond the apple and bananas. Here is my short list of fruit I have had that I have enjoyed:

Japanese "Biwa." Pronounced beewaa. Wiki says it is a form of loquat. Here is what it looks like:

I first had this as desert in a Japanese restaurant in Tokyo. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Of course, the quality of fruit in Japan is well above the rest of the world so perhaps biwa doesn't taste like heaven :). But to this day, I remember the sweat and flavorful fruit I enjoyed there.

I have since had Biwa in China but have never looked for it in US.

Sweet Persian Lemons. Persian name is "Limoo Shirin" which translates into well, sweet lemon :). It is a citrus unlike anything we have in the west. Here is a nice write-up on it: http://mypersiankitchen.com/limoo-shirin-sweet-persian-lemon/

And some nice images:

Wiki says it is part of Meyer Lemon family but I am not sure. If you live in major metropolitan areas, search for a persian grocery store and you should find them now as they are in season. The best ones have thin skin, are very juicy, and sweet with a nice citrus aroma. As the article says above, it has tiny bit of bitter aftertaste like grapefruit so you don't want to juice it and let it sit. I simply cut it with a knife into quarters and suck the juice out like you would with a sour lemon from your drink.

You can peel it and eat it like an orange but by then it might become bitter.

I should say that I have not been able to convince anyone in my family to try it :).

Let me stop here and see if others have any fruits they think others would enjoy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On the top of my list is the Mangosteen. No need to acquire special tastes for this fruit. It's something I would think to be universally considered delicious.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have never had honeydew as good as I did at RMAF this year. I think it was at "The Lift". All the fruit was good... the cantaloupe was a little hard though.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have never had honeydew as good as I did at RMAF this year. I think it was at "The Lift". All the fruit was good... the cantaloupe was a little hard though.

You enjoyed Ryan Seacrest? OMG!!!!!! ;P :p :p

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I understand that Japanese fruit glow in the dark nowadays. Which makes refrigerator lamps kind of obsolete, doesn't it?
I wouldn't make fun of another country's misfortune that way. Surely there is an interesting fruit you have had in your life you could mention instead. If not, please stay out of the thread.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not sure if this is an unusual fruit but its origins are certainly unusual. The fruit is Hami Melon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hami_melon ( ???):

Looks like an ordinary melon but it is so crisp, light, juicy and sweet. Truly wonderful. My wife bought one from the store and I hear it is more available in California.

Went to buy the seeds and had a hard time finding it. Found one place for $14 for just 5 seeds! Ouch. Then another search got me to ebay with just 99 cents! Shipping was $1.75 but still, pretty good deal. Not sure if it is the same variety as the commercial fruit we had but thought it was worth the price.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Lived in Singapore for a few years and tried Durian. Not sure that 'enjoyed' is the right term for this one... think sweaty socks, blue cheese - there is a reason that these are banned on the subway
Also had starfruit, mangosteen, rambutan and many others mmmmm

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Closest I can come is "kiwi". Tried eggplant and okra; not sure either is a fruit, but I found both inedible. Apples and oranges for this old country boy, with a lemon or lime now and then. Or watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, but no grapefruit. :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi This could be quite unusual for people in the USA. Common far in Haiti:

Cayemites (Haven't seen in the USA)

Sweet, leave slight scratchiness to the tongue ... Delicious still

This one is so good as to become an addiction. It gives a milky juice that is often mixed with Milk for a very, very delicious beverage .. I think it is called soursop in the USA or in Latin Area Guanabana We call it Corossol . It soothes the mind and promote sleep. Which gives me an idea ... I will try to find some in Miami today .. :D

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Closest I can come is "kiwi". Tried eggplant and okra; not sure either is a fruit, but I found both inedible. Apples and oranges for this old country boy, with a lemon or lime now and then. Or watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, but no grapefruit. :)

No wonder .. Both should cooked ... to be enjoyed .. I would not call them "fruits" really ... although they might be that technically. They are never eaten raw ..Pickled Okra maybe but not eggplants

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Frantz, looks like Haiti and Asia have some similar delicious fruits. I love soursop which in Singapore is sometimes called Angmo Durian - a durian the angmo's (foreigners) can eat!! The Cayemite is milk fruit in Asia. There is a similar fruit (in taste and leaving that scratchiness on the tongue) called chiku in Singapore.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz, looks like Haiti and Asia have some similar delicious fruits. I love soursop which in Singapore is sometimes called Angmo Durian - a durian the angmo's (foreigners) can eat!! The Cayemite is milk fruit in Asia. There is a similar fruit (in taste and leaving that scratchiness on the tongue) called chiku in Singapore.

We have that one too!!! :) We call it Sapotille ... Darn! I should have gotten some when I was in Haiti last month.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing