Trinity DAC

We should separate reverse-engineering from the use of the information one can get from reverse engineering (and I think lawyers would probably also consider the purpose and intentions of the act of reverse engineering a product :) ).

Reverse-engineering is a source of knowledge and is a common practice - however special laws in some countries can protect some specific products and regulate the dissemination of knowledge obtained this way. But IMHO owners of the Trinity DAC should think twice if they are approached by someone wanting to borrow their DAC for reverse-engineering purposes: ;)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 564
Great summary Adam.

However it seems me it is missing a very important aspect stressed by the Trinity literature - using the LIANOTEC, the interpolation points, situated linearly between the original sampling points, are implemented without any digital signal processing. If it is not referred someone can think that the extra points were just computed by a local processor using, for example, Bezier curve interpolation, as often used in graphics.

I've found very similar clocks in one of the the available online catalogs, that look and measure (in terms of physical dimensions) exactly like those used by Trinity, and they cost almost $2000 each in OEM prices. That is the price for a regular 10MHz oscillators, available for next day delivery. Not sure how much more the clcok manufacturer charges for the custom 22 & 24 MHz models in limited quantities ... I can only guess, that may be anything from $3 to $5k per piece. Since there are two of those in every Trinity DAC, we are talking of $6k-$10k in BOM for those two parts alone. Now if we consider, that the standard BOM to component retail price ratio in a hi-end (and we are talking here more about a $10k ARC preamp than $200k Audio Note UK exotica) is about 20%, those two parts alone should constitute to $30k-$50k from the $60k DAC retail !
...[/B].
Could please point those clocks to me and the catalogues you are referring to? Thanks
Very low jitter figures do not make much sense if measurements have no center frequency reported.

Back on point, My Trinity will be arriving this week. Just can't get over the demo
with internet radio! By the way, during the demo, we substituted the Nagra
Jazz/300b/zellaton system with a far less expensive 47 Labs Lens-Alnico and 47 Labs
integrated (with the Trinity dac), and the sound was still profound on this modest
system. So instead of talking so much about it ad nauseum, just go listen. Come on - this
is a fun hobby!

Could please point those clocks to me and the catalogues you are referring to? Thanks
Very low jitter figures do not make much sense if measurements have no center frequency reported.

I have to assume you are not very familar with XOs and the PN measuremnts, since the Center frequency of a 24.576MHz VCOCXO is of course 24.576MHz. :)

Great summary Adam.

I agree!

However it seems me it is missing a very important aspect stressed by the Trinity literature - using the LIANOTEC, the interpolation points, situated linearly between the original sampling points, are implemented without any digital signal processing. If it is not referred someone can think that the extra points were just computed by a local processor using, for example, Bezier curve interpolation, as often used in graphics.

Yes. That is something I wondered about. As Adam writes:

The LIANOTEC gives an equivalent of 8x oversampling rate, without using 8x oversampling digital filter. The DACs are not run in parallel, as in most designs (with inputs and outputs interconnected), but run via a special digital delay line, where each DAC is fed with a slightly delayed signal. This creates additional interpolation points which are situated linearly between the original sampling points.

So are the LIANOTEC delayed oversampling points simply delayed, and thus repeated copies of the previous sample, or are they calculated interpolation values?

I have to assume you are not very familar with XOs and the PN measuremnts, since the Center frequency of a 24.576MHz VCOCXO is of course 24.576MHz. :)
Not to be pedantic, but I have not seen any PN measurements...Apart from quoting 28 fs jitter levels, did you publish any?

Adam, super post. And yes, I know what it is to create such an enormous post and make no mistakes in the mean time. Mine may never be there.
Also, maybe I now better understand your questions per PM (which I never answered upon because I couldn't workout the reason for the questions). So let me respond now partly to that via your own text.

Allow me to make a general remark : In your great post you are working with data without the real knowlegde or knowledge behind it. I think you must be careful with drawing conclusions yourself (without the real inside knowledge) to next state that the device in question is the best out there because of your own conclusions. You apply this two folded :
1. Your device is the best;
2. My device is not the best.
And I say it again, #2 you apply explicitly, while your own conclusions are not correct. And I can call them wrong because I know a little more. Example of this (and *again* I ask Dietmar to correct when necessary, mind this please) :

The end result will depend on the quality of the clock used, and this is where the Trinity excells. Trinity most probably uses the clocks with the lowest amount of phase noise (jitter) of any DACs available on the market today

(with the notice that I wrote this early this morning here and it is not responding to bibo01)
You now introduced the phenomenon "phase noise" probably because I started about this. There is NO single word anywhere about "phase noise" as such as far as I have seen in manuwal or website (but I can have missed it). There is 100% sure no phase noise plot presented anywhere. I asked for it two times (Dietmar) and it is still not presented. To me this means that for almost sure it is not there. This in itself means that phase noise wasn't even a target for the oscillator(s) which is not needed for ultra low ppb etc. oscillators. So, many ultra low ppb oscillators exist (I can show you dozens) but that doesn't mean low RMS jitter at all for audio. It is just long term stability which is what the "oven" application is for. Audio doesn't require long term stability.
To me, all talk about the clocks by Trinity herself leads to low ppb = ultra high long term stability clocks with most probably (very) high phase noise.

16 DACs gives the Trinity enough current, so that the signal coming from the current to voltage converter doesn't have to be amplified any further, but can drive the XLR outputs directly.

Not correct; First off, the chips are not summed (for their current) because they work in individual mode. So, signal is summed alright (LIANOTEC) but each chip applies its own little step. First #1, then #2, #3 etc.
Next, maximum that can be squeezed out is something like 360mV RMS while 2VRMS is needed for standardized signal. This now assumes summing with the chips producing the exact same signal (which thus does not happen in the Trinity). For one chip it is simple : Something like 60mV. How ? one chip produces 1.2mA while the feedback resistor (for passive I/V conversion) is allowed to be ~50 Ohm while (IIRC) officially this is 20R. Anyway, 1.2*50 = 60mV.
Then, *if* the chips would be summed infinitely, but say the 8 of them (= 9.6mA) then sadly we are not able to apply that 50R feedback resistor because the chip itself trips on voltage. "Trips on" ? a protective diode closes. Now it works the other way around : The feedback resistor just needs to have such a value that not more than 0.06V is applied to the chip (this is a bit tricky because the 0.06V is a derival I made myself from measurement which starts with 50R being allowed for feedback resistor while officially this is 20R) and now the feedback resistor is allowed to be 6.25R. Keep in mind, this is when the chips are (8x) summed, which is not the case to begin with with the Trinity.
There is no escape and or the Trinity has an active output stage, or it exhibits distortion (closing diode) or it has way low output or it has a gain stage behind the I/V conversion, or it makes use of transformer upstepping which is not linear, or ...
Last notice : I myself was able to use this passively with satisfaction, but my speakers are 115dB sensitive. This is not for everybody.

But to answer your questions per PM :
No, the Phasure does not use an analog reconstruction filter (with the notice that -to take it literally- an analog filter for this can not exist).
I/V is active.
No further output stage.

16 DACs gives the Trinity enough current, so that the signal coming from the current to voltage converter doesn't have to be amplified any further, but can drive the XLR outputs directly.

To the letter this can't be true because the balanced outputs of the Trinity will not be formed from a differential (balanced) setup throughout. This would need pairs of 1704's per signal (now containing opposite plus and minus) while no "pairs" as such are available. So per channel (like in Left and Right) 8 1704's are available but they are used to let LIANOTEC do its work.
Is this important ? is it bad ? -> it is a design decision. Notice though that it is you who talks about "thus less distrotions" etc., while I now need to tell you that the most common way of forming a balanced output is making use of OpAmps. This is an additional active element in the signal path.
As usual Dietmar will debunk my reasoning when needed.
And before you ask : In the Phasure the differential setup is throughout, meaning no additional active element for this (but pairs of 1704's creating the differential signal).

But Adam, I said it; the longer a post the more easy to make mistakes. And with 99% correct in my view, what to nag. So I hope you didn't read my post as such.
Best regards,
Peter

(...) So instead of talking so much about it ad nauseum, just go listen. Come on - this is a fun hobby!

You have a point - perhaps most of this talk is just because the Trinity DAC is currently almost inaccessible to 99% of audiophiles, as the supply is scarce and the distribution very limited. So your call for "just go listen" sounds like "go drink water" to someone walking in the torrid dry desert! :)

It seems that only the people in this forum who own or are going to own the Trinity have presently really listened to it. IMHO if they want to participate effectively in the WBF forum they must be open to reasonable questions - debating it is also part of the fun for some of us - and we are thankful to them.

It seems that only the people in this forum who own or are going to own the Trinity have presently really listened to it. IMHO if they want to participate effectively in the WBF forum they must be open to reasonable questions - debating it is also part of the fun for some of us - and we are thankful to them.

Hi microstrip,

Not exactly true : Firstly more than 95% of the audiophiles (including me, totally about 30 people) that attended the 2 demos at AudioTechnique magazine room in Hong Kong 2 months ago cannot afford the Trinity dac.

Secondly the questions & discussion here amongst Dietmer, Peter, Adam...etc is sometime quite difficult and not easy for laypersons to understand.

But it's very good to have such professionals/experts to participate in this forum! Many thanks!

I'm not an expert :)

You have a point - perhaps most of this talk is just because the Trinity DAC is currently almost inaccessible to 99% of audiophiles, as the supply is scarce and the distribution very limited. So your call for "just go listen" sounds like "go drink water" to someone walking in the torrid dry desert! :)

Microstrip,

Not sure who told me that, but isn't the Trinity gonna be available in Portugal next month ? Are you gonna listen to one ?

Microstrip,

Not sure who told me that, but isn't the Trinity gonna be available in Portugal next month ? Are you gonna listen to one ?

Yes, it was me who wrote it in a previous post! ;)

Hi microstrip,

Not exactly true : Firstly more than 95% of the audiophiles (including me, totally about 30 people) that attended the 2 demos at AudioTechnique magazine room in Hong Kong 2 months ago cannot afford the Trinity dac.

Secondly the questions & discussion here amongst Dietmer, Peter, Adam...etc is sometime quite difficult and not easy for laypersons to understand.

But it's very good to have such professionals/experts to participate in this forum! Many thanks!

CKKeung,

Thanks for your comment, I apologize : I should have made an exception to refer your reasoned and fair report http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12023-Trinity-DAC&p=233348&viewfull=1#post233348 but as far as I know these 95% are not reporting on WBF . :(

1704 matching

So finally, my large post. It has been updated many times (was originally written a week ago) to hopefully reflect best what's all happening. I'm praying a bit that because of the so many changes it is still consistent and without toooo many typos.
It all started out with below two quotes, Phasure needing some "defence". However, I tried my best to make it educational.
And you know what ? my personal reasoning about this all ends up with the conclusion that the Trinity should sound best. However, this is form one angle only and there are "Trinity more". So read on.

Hi Elberoth.

The Phasure NOS1 USB dac seems to use much of the same tech as the Trinity. Eight x PCM1704 and completely filterless (analogue or digital) running femto clocks. The Phasure relies on the computer software to upsample to 705 or 768 and to apply a special Arc prediction filter that eliminates pre and post ringing (called impulse response in the Trinity manual) which takes all of this processing out of the dac which improves dac clock behaviour.

When I read the description of the sound of the Trinity dac I thought that it was exactly how most of us Phasure owners would describe the sound of our dac: that it has no sound of its own. I am quite sure that the designer of the Phasure does not pick the cream from his crop of PCM1704s Like for the Trinity) and it's unusual shape and presentation do manage to keep costs down so it is a fraction of the price of the Trinity, but I sure would love to hear them both side by side one day.

A 6moons review of the Phasure NOS1 USB is here.

Merry Christmas,

Anthony

Edit: I just love that these old dac chips when implemented properly can be used to beat more modern sigma-delta chips...and that they really do make DSD redundant.

Anth,

I'm glad you like your DAC. I bet it sounds great. There are some similarities between those DACs (namely low phase noise clocks, 1704 DACs, USB input), but as they say - the devil is in the detail.

There are the following basic differencies:
Phasure uses only 8 PCM-1704 DACs vs 16 in the Trinity.
The DAC chipsets used in Phsure are not hand selected (read: have higher THD).
Phasure doesn't use the innovative time-staggered arrangement, but runs them in a common parallel arrangement (with inputs and outputs of all DACs are interconnected).
Phasure DAC uses 16x up/oversampling, where Trinity - thanks to said time-staggered arrangement - gets equivalent of 64x.
Trinity has even better clocks.

The Phasure describes the DAC as filterless design (non oversampling), but the truth is, that they had only moved the filtering from the DAC itself to computer software - they call it Arc Prediction upsampling and filtering.

Ok, surprise ...

ti01.png

Might someone recognize this ... These are official TI measurements.
So what I do (or have been doing) is pre-selecting, say, "double K" (grade) batches. And already for many years you won't be able to obtain those (way) better batches anymore; So there's a difference between K grade and K grade. And too bad I have those double K batches ...

There's a LOT to this, but I'll try to give a few examples that may explain things somewhat.

ti02.png

What you see here is 4 of the poor batches (though grade K !) and the rightmost one is a good one. This counts for the pictures below all the same (the purple bar always in the right hand side is about batches we use).
This one is about THD at -0dBFS (full scale output). So the purple averages to 0.00091% while the others show around 0.0012; this is around 2.5dB worse.
Notice in between : While this thus are the officialy TI measurements which also determine "K grade or not" (see table above and the two "Limits" columns), for the NOS1 0.00043% THD+N is achieved. So, over 6dB better than the specs of the chips are. And just measured at the normal outputs, meaning even at the end of a 2m interlink.
And no, the chips are not just parallelled, because it is a fully differential setup (this already needs 2 chips per channel). And some more (plus more about this below).

ti03.png

This one is crucial;
It shows the fairly regular standard of measuring D/A chips at -20dB. Look what happens to the second batch shown; It is way above the others, with the notice that this is the average of many chips. So, while average, individual chips will be worse again. Look in the table at line 24 and you see that Unit#2 is close to 6dB worse here compared to Unti#1 (and notice that the measurement of each chip is performed 3 times - that's why the 3 columns).
So, the one chip is 6dB worse over the other ? so what. Well ... if we realize that this is at -20dBFS (and which is just comparable to samples playing at that level) which is just a randomly chosen "level" with 10s of thousands other levels in between that -20dBFS and -0dBFS, we can see how unlinearity plays a role here. BUT it is way way worse, because TI selects the chips (for K grade but also on not failing all together) on just these two output levels for THD.

Looking at the table again, you see the threshold of 0.00963% for the -20dBFS test. This means that chips which show 0.00962% pass the test for K grade. Now, what TI does not understand (or doesn't want to admit) is that e.g. -19dBFS or -14dBFS etc. the most easily can show 0.012% THD. Notice : The higher the output the better THD should be. However unlinearity depicts that this can/will be worse for some combination of resistor settings (this is all about resistor matching) no matter the level is higher. Point is : that 0.00963% threshold is way too low (should be 0.006% or so) in order to let behave the higher levels better than the real threshold (which is allowed to be 0.00963% again). Too difficult to explain ? Well, just read on, you may get the idea from other angles.

With R2R chips all is about the linearity of them. This is about the resistors in there and how equal they all are. So, if they all would be 100% equal it won't matter which combination of resistors is "dialed in" because the result would be a linear voltage if all the combinations (say from the lowest output value to the highest) would be plotted. If, for simplicity, you look at how the digital code works, with 0000 being decimal 0, 0001=1, 0010=2, 0011 = 3, 0100=4, 0101=5, 0110=6, 0111=7, 1000=8 and so on - and supposed decimal 1 is 1mV, 2=2mV, 3=3mV and so on, then 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc. subsequently must add exactly 1mV to the output signal (it is current for the 1704 but never mind - that ends up in Voltage anyway). Now supposed that each resistor represents such a bit and the second resistor is off by 10%. So, the 0010 is off. That adds 1.1mV instead of the intended 1mV. Now look back in my little row where the 0010 is used. This is in 2, 3, 6 and 7. So 2 will show 2.2mV (just do decimal 2 + 10%), 3 shows 3.2mV (2.2 + 1), 6 shows 6.2mV and 7 shows 7.2mV. Total sequence : 0, 1, 2.2, 3.2, 4, 5, 6.2, 7.2. This already looks quite messy with only one resistor being off, while actually all are, to some extend.

What I just know (because of so many tests) is that the closer the chips are to the TI thresholds the less match the resistors. This can just be taken as a rule. So, the chips we use (the purple bars) always and ever show the same results up to 0.0005% at whatever level we try them. Practically, for 16/44.1 material and -0dBFS this shows for Left/Right something like 0.00183%/0.00188% (difference is mentioned 0.005%). Next DAC could be 0.00187%/0.00184%. Lowering the level with e.g. 6dB could show 0.00210%/0.00204%. Keep in mind that this is not really about the set output level, because when a signal is produced all resistors will activate/deactivate because of the nature of the sine test signal (which crosses zero, goes up to max, goes down again etc.). Point is : this is all totally stable.
But now the bad batch (remember, still K grade and looking at the plots above not *that* much wrong with them) :
DAC output now can show 0.00200%/0.00700%. Wow. So now suddenly the right channel is ~11dB worse on THD. Now I attenuate the signal with 6dB and it's 0.01000%/0.00400%. And, before you think this is about dropped bits, when I attenuate 0.5dB it could show 0.01100%/0.00500%.
Yeah, just compare the sequences and you see it is really a mess now.
There is no single way these chips can be selected for individual matching or anything. With the good batches yes, but now there is no matching needed; they just all behave the same and otherwise it is beyond measurement (THD and noise measurement).

Think of it; A genuine differential setup in the digital domain uses two chips (at least) to form the plus and minus signal (better : the opposite signals). But now these opposite signals, meant to cancel common mode noise, are never the same. So, what additionally happens (apart from the noise cancellation not working anymore) is that the resulting signal (which can be regarded the sum of the both individual signals) receives an additional deformation. Not that TI ever said that we should form a differential setup out of some 1704's ...
No worries for Trinity customers : The Balanced outputs in there will be "generated" so to speak. So, after the D/A conversion the signal is split into a plus and minus opposite component (usually through OpAmps) and the described phenomenon is now not in order. The net result on balanced outputs depends on "the whole package" and not for me to judge. Theoretically though a part of the signal is now not subject to common mode noise rejection (so more noise) while the "differential outputs" will be not suject to the 1704's unlinearity (so there it will be better in common mode noise rejection, assuming injected noise after the D/A conversion).

Additionally, when I put in a set of those "bad" chips in the Phasure NOS1 its (audible) accuracy is totally lost. Mind you, when measuring this at -0dBFS and perceived "chip matching" has taken place from a "bad batch" and it shows 0.00210%/00210%, this still is the case (does not sound accurate) because all we could do is match the chips for that one level (-0dBFS) while attenuating the test signal shows its unlinearity right away.

Maybe Dietmar likes to comment or just express his thinking regarding what I'm all saying here. It is also about batches of the 1704 which should have been produced in 2008 or earlier (Phasure has all of those as obtained in 2010).
Please notice that outside my own general interest in the 1704 (which is a hell of a thing to work with - different to what Dietmar seems to say about it) this all was also a response to this :

The DAC chipsets used in Phsure are not hand selected (read: have higher THD).

Emphasis is mine now and I hope I could justify it somewhat.

Phasure-Trinity-NativeSignal01.png

Native signal.

Phasure-Trinity-44.1-705600-03-128K-16.png

The above two are just for reference for Dietmar, with the explicit notice that
a. this is the 24/44.1 test signal from Trinity's website, upsampled filtered through XXHighEnd (16x), measured at the end of 2m XLR interlinks.
b. this FFT is 128K and 16 times averaged.

ti04.png

This one is interesting, especially when combined with the next Excel graph (2nd pic below). First off, this is part of the proof (to myself) that TI can't produce the 1704 anymore as they ever did (besides that I am sure they aren't even produced anymore but that's another matter). This is what's called the "bipolar zero error" and TI's solution to minimize the "glitching". Glitching is the jump from all resistors being active to all not active and which is related to the "2s complement" C code where going from positive to negative in binary and the other way around (say from decimal +1 to decimal -1 and in binary it looks like 00000001 - 11111110. So, now suddenly all the bits "flip" and in the chip this means that there's a high current implied to let it do this. Here you see this happening, though from another chip :

LSB02.png

Watch out, because this is low level (IIRC -108dBFS) and the peaks themselves are also of fairly low voltage (like 181uV) but way more high than from the 1704. Another thing to watch out for is the low inherent noise which is something like less than 1uVRMS. Now envision the system noise to be around 30uV p-p (peak to peak) *and* envision the 1704 to do better than you see above. So what happens ? the glitching energy (anomaly) disappears in the noise.
Now back to the plots above ... and see the difference with my selected batches and the ones which I rejected. A difference of over 6dB. To understand what's happening, now look below :

ti05.png

Aha. But *that*'s a difference ! So what you actually see here is that the difference in noise (a deviate from dynamic range in this case) is over 3.5dB worse for the worst batch. Partially this is caused by the glitching energy (which is half wave cycle noise - see picture above at each spike (this is 1KHz)) and partially this will be caused by the unlinearity happening in the least significant bits/resistors (those which control the lowest output values).

The fun of this all is that in both the case of the good batch and the bad batch, the glitching energy can not be seen because they both disappear in the noise of the 1704 itself. I don't have a picture of a bad batch, but if you want you can look here - but scroll to the very bottom and the subject "24 bit resolvement". Or please don't go there at all when you feel it is inappropriate (it is my own forum).
Anyway, this is about how any R2R chip is subject to its own "resistor switching noise" or glitching. And you don't need to go there at all as long as you believe me that (indeed) the selection of the best D/A chips is crucial because when they exhibit more noise they will resolve less (bits).
(It is not the same subject as "unlinearity" as such and to me it shows that today that the latter batches of TI have been produced in a different fashion (plus I know that they set up a new factory with many difficulties).)

What you might also see in there is that while the chips of the good batches officially (by my own measurement that is - TI spec for K grade is 106.921) have a dynamic range of just over 110dB, this can be better than 120dB per "better implementation" (remember the "whole package thing"). So :

but runs them in a common parallel arrangement (with inputs and outputs of all DACs are interconnected).

Sorry, but not correct either.

Phasure uses only 8 PCM-1704 DACs vs 16 in the Trinity.

Even that is not correct since the NOS1 can be shipped with 16 chips just the same (Anthony, look in your Specs document). But whatfore ? It adds something like 800 euros to the price to bring what ? about NOTHING. How ? Well, it should add another 3dB of dynamic range and the resolvement of a next bit needs 6dB (which in my case would lead to a possible 23rd bit which is so much surrounded with noise that I personally don't advise to spend that money to anyone).

Phasure doesn't use the innovative time-staggered arrangement

True ! But as a DAC designer one can think about what this really brings. Remember, "whole package" thing again ! So, while what LIANOTEC does here is linear interpolation of the simplest form (please read this as "won't imply the best THD possible" and "more linear than formal linear because LIANOTEC will be "right in the middle of two samples" -> Dietmar, correct when needed !) - this ... hey, doesn't matter much. Read : It doesn't matter whether this can be theoretically better so it's all right.
Oh ?
Yes, in my view whether THD could be better by other means, at these higher frequencies it is not about that anymore. And now let's hope it doesn't get too complicated ...

"Interpolation" as such is about two phenomena : 1. Brickwall filter (minimize the HF incurring stepping energy) and 2. Reconstruction of the analog wave.

Ad 1.
Being right in the middle of two original samples (LIANOTEC) is OK for this *IF* reconstruction happened first and when this is needed (this is for sure needed for 44.1 (or 48) material with the wise decision of Trinity to take this one step higher and apply it up to 96KHz).

Ad 2.
Reconstruction is about the too few available samples to represent the higher frequencies. So, that only 4.x samples are available to represent a 10KHz sine (the higher the frequency the less samples available). It looks nasty and it sounds so (but genuine NOS lovers will find this okay).

Thus, what needs to happen is that first the best sine needs to be made from that nasty wave shape (named "reconstruction") and after that we can apply the brickwall filter at best means (but in practice (or normally) this is the same stage in the process)).

Since reconstruction is about sheer low pass filtering which hammers upon the time domain or in other words : where making the frequency domain better (nice sines) is traded in for the time domain (ringing = smearing), this thus rings. Nothing to do about that when sheer filtering is applied.
Do notice : This reconstruction / filtering happens in the digital domain. It is totally unrelated to the left overs from the brickwall filtering, meaning that no matter how small, HF will remain of that and the smaller the stepping, the more upwards in the frequency spectrum the HF left overs are shifted to.
LIANOTEC does this (for the possible good reason of not harming amplifiers).

Are we there now ? ... almost;
For those who like to compare theories (and I sure do), we need to compare what Trinity does for real practice with how Phasure NOS1/XXHighEnd does it. And please remember, it was for a reason that I said that only one manufacturer could be interested in how Trinity does it. So :

Phasure :
Reconsructs in the digital domain in lossless fashion (meaning that the original wave can be rebuild out of the reconstructed wave) which does this per means of "Arc Prediction" and it takes along the brickwall filtering. Upsampling needed for this is 16x. HF noise *only very close to the nyquist limit* (which means say 20KHz with the limit of 22.05KHz for 44.1K sampled material) will exhibit at max 3dB down close to 352.8KHz (which is the nyquist limit after upsampling). At e.g. 16KHz the HF out of band leftovers are 60dB or more down. Also : HF in-(audio-)band energy is way less than the lower frequencies to begin with; amplifiers won't burn (and speakers neither).
No analog filter is applied.
It exhibits zero ringing.

Trinity (sorry, but I use 16/44.1 Redbook again) :
Reconstructs in the digital domain by means of 8x oversampling in the mean time applying the necessary low pass filter and the audio band will be (or should be) completely free of harmonic anomalies. Further story as above is exactly the same, but now close to 176.4KHz (read : the reconstruction can't do better because of 8x oversampling only so it is the not complete reconstruction which exhibits this).
Ringing will be 8 samples only (pre- and post as seen from Trinity pictures (meaning phase linear hence FIR filter)).
Now LIANOTEC jumps in, and this does *not* shift this incomplete reconstruction further into the high frequency band.
Dietmar : I think I am correct here, so please correct when needed !
What LIANOTEC does though is further improvement on the brickwall filter (making the stepping 8x smaller again) which IMO will not be measurable for in band THD. What it does (I estimate) is only decreasing the 3rd haronics of the stepping itself (like Trinity's pictures show BUT they are from 384K sampled files !) but these are not the same "harmonics" as the left overs of the incomplete reconstruction (notice : "complete" reconstruction implies infinite oversampling and infinit ringing).

Even when I am correct on this one (and I am NOT sure) then does this matter ? NO. To me it doesn't because this is my design (as a major part of the whole package) and I apparently chose for that and thus don't care (with the explicit reasoning of high frequency (in band) energy being less anyway and such).

So which will sound better (and sorry to work with theories only hence with measurements) ?

For Hires it will be the Trinity.
For Redbook decide for yourself but realize that this is the debate "NOS vs OS". This in other words : Time domain vs Frequency domain. One thing : The Phasure combo (DAC+Software) improves vastly on the "NOS" frequency domain while leaving the time domain 100% in-tact. This is not subjective but just measureable. So what I can say for sure is that when compared to genuine NOS the Phasure is (measurement wise) infinitely better, while sustaining all NOS characteristics (compare the little graph more above denoted "Native signal" with its 0.02334% THD+N vs 0.00059% THD+N and which is only at 1KHz ! (read : higher frequencies show a way larger difference).

In a previous version of this text I ended with the question "But there is a secret left, guess what it is ?" but this has been pre-answered upon by now. So fun over. However, this now makes me say in the very same realm :
So, engage Anti Imaging filtering in XXHighEnd (or use any other software with self selected filtering algorithms) and apply that to the NOS1. 16x upsampling please.
Then what ? Then we have a sh*tload of ringing depending on the selected filtering algorithm and a "close to 100%" correct frequency domain and again HF incomplete reconstruction left overs at 352.8. So, a kind of the opposite of applying Arc Prediction Filtering to the Trinity.

In either selected combination, which will sound best ?
We can only listen. But from theory and MY theory and about the filtering department only : the Trinity will be the better one when Arc Prediction filtering is applied first (16x) with behind that LIANOTEC (8x).
Fun eh ?

Best regards to all,
Peter

See ? no matter how often I have read and corrected, within the hour I after posting I think about this mistake I made :

the Trinity will be the better one when Arc Prediction filtering is applied first (16x) with behind that LIANOTEC (8x).

Since the Trinity interface will be able to take 4x only, Arc Prediction can be used at 4x only. After that LIANOTEC applies as usual (8x).
Sorry guys.

Peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing