Transparent USB cable

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If you don't think it makes a difference then you don't have any experience.

Not having any experience has never been a disqualifier for having an opinion on this forum.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Not having any experience has never been a disqualifier for having an opinion on this forum.

I suppose that is true. It's unfortunate to see Punk make snide comments after I expressed an honest and heartfelt opinion.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I suppose that is true. It's unfortunate to see Punk make snide comments after I expressed an honest and heartfelt opinion.
Plonk thinks that it's part of his comedy act - he butts in on a lot of threads in this way - it's par for the course, I'm afraid!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sorry. That comment was much more polite than what you'd get if I expressed my actual feelings about spending $200 on a usb cable. I actually own an "audiophile" usb cable. Got it when I was in the business, at just a hair over cost, which is a small fraction of retail (the mark-up on premium cables is mind-boggling). And I've "heard" several others. So I have some experience. I just didn't think it worth mentioning, because they way these things always go is that your opinion is not valid unless you have experience, and if you have experience, then your opinion is not valid unless you have "heard" the specific cable in question, and if you have, then your opinion is not valid....the list gets rather long.

Actually, I will concede that there are design considerations in usb cables that could mitigate audio problems that could occur in the transfer of data from point A to point B and might even be audible. All of them, except for the elimination of the power-carrying wire, can be and are implemented in many quality cables that sell for <$50. Where's the other $150? Gone.

And all of these problems that are being solved by these premium cables? At the margins that are being made, if they were substantive, their audible affect on the system output would be measured, published and marketed, and the manufacture of premium digital cables would be a big business selling to businesses with critical applications -- R&D, recording, etc. Instead, they are all small (though I'm sure very profitable) boutique companies selling to a niche hobby market well-known for it's excessive spending habits and denial of pretty basic science and engineering.

There's your long answer.

Tim

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Actually, I will concede that there are design considerations in usb cables that could mitigate audio problems that could occur in the transfer of data from point A to point B and might even be audible. All of them, except for the elimination of the power-carrying wire, can be and are implemented in many quality cables that sell for <$50. Where's the other $150? Gone.
Tim

Now when you say you "concede" ..... "could"......."could"....."might"...... you sound more like a politician than a comedian - plausible deniability at every step!!

However, you do say that you know about the important USB cable design considerations - can you tell us what they are, please?

I did suggest that you try a direct USB connection (i.e no USB cable) but despite saying you would, I see that you have never bothered to do so!! The cost certainly was not the issue here - not interested I guess or you already know the answer?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The discussion is a very interesting one to consider it closed, as originator of the thread I will kindly ask all incumbents to focus on the objective/subjective aspects of USB cabling and surrounding technology, please :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Now when you say you "concede" ..... "could"......."could"....."might"...... you sound more like a politician than a comedian - plausible deniability at every step!!

There are a couple of ways of looking at this, John. One is the view you've taken; that I've left open some escape doors. Another is that I've left open the possibility that there are audible problems that audiophile digital cables are solving, even though I haven't personally seen or heard any evidence of that. Not in the listening, not in the data, not in the marketplace. YMMV, but only in the listening. The marketplace has spoken. And I'd love to see the data, with the qualifier that I'm personally only interested in changes that are demonstrated, in the data, not sighted listening, to audibly effect analog output at the end of the signal chain. That's not your criteria, and that's fine. But it is mine; it is my baseline. Any other challenges to my POV are meaningless to me, without it. I've just seen too many audiophiles, manufacturers, reviewers fooled by their own perceptions and far too little interest in these kinds of breakthroughs by any industries outside of the hobby running much more critical applications than entertainment.

Again, YMMV. My apologies again for the thread crap. One man's joke is another's insult.

Tim

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Ok Tim,
Let's keep on the thread topic & the interesting stuff - your interjection was a distraction & you can see how it increases the noise Vs the signal level, I hope?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ok Tim,
Let's keep on the thread topic & the interesting stuff - your interjection was a distraction & you can see how it increases the noise Vs the signal level, I hope?

Well, I can see how the "will to live" comment raised the SN. The rest imparted wisdom, and a badly needed call for reason and discipline. :) Carry on.

Tim

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Sorry. That comment was much more polite than what you'd get if I expressed my actual feelings about spending $200 on a usb cable. I actually own an "audiophile" usb cable. Got it when I was in the business, at just a hair over cost, which is a small fraction of retail (the mark-up on premium cables is mind-boggling). And I've "heard" several others. So I have some experience. I just didn't think it worth mentioning, because they way these things always go is that your opinion is not valid unless you have experience, and if you have experience, then your opinion is not valid unless you have "heard" the specific cable in question, and if you have, then your opinion is not valid....the list gets rather long.

And all of these problems that are being solved by these premium cables? At the margins that are being made, if they were substantive, their audible affect on the system output would be measured, published and marketed, and the manufacture of premium digital cables would be a big business selling to businesses with critical applications -- R&D, recording, etc. Instead, they are all small (though I'm sure very profitable) boutique companies selling to a niche hobby market well-known for it's excessive spending habits and denial of pretty basic science and engineering.

There's your long answer.

Tim

That's fine Tim if you don't hear a difference but for those of us that do, who is to say we are wrong?

There are a lot of things in audio that are difficult (or not even possible) to measure to explain.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Also, one thing to keep in mind is that even though the data is digital, ie. one and zeroes, they are traveling in an analog fashion down the wire.

Are the bits arriving at the precise time or is there a possibility of jitter affecting the signal? Why do so many people hear the difference of Audioquest Diamond USB over generic or Gold Belkin?

I'm not sure what the cause is but I hear it.

Eventually someone will come up with measurements like Caelin Gabriel did for his Shunyata power cords. I also heard a nice improvement when I put Shunyata power cords in my system.

But we don't have to wait for science to catch up if we hear a difference today. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing