Totaldac new DACs

Hi PhP,

My reference is my system.
But we can not compare two systems in two different rooms.
Imagine you have a big loudspeaker in a big room, you can say: beautiful sound.
Imagine the same loudspeaker in a toilet....I can say: bad sound....

At the High End of Munich, we can not give a good appreciation of the different system. Demo for Wilson Audio is poor... what a pity!
I have a friend, he has Wilson Audio Sabrina. They sound better in his room than at Munich, even the big Wilson Audio.

It is very difficult to have a good demonstration at the High End of Munich.

And the appreciation of a system is different for everyone.
You're right about appreciation that is a fonction of every body ear, system habits to cold or colored sound. I was in Munich and very few systems sounds like music, most sound like high-end audio with goods and bags.
KR
PHP

Reactions: VPN
A new option is available for Totaldac DACs, reclockers, streamers, drivers and players: damping feet installed under the chassis.

View attachment 113821
Vincent, can you recommend these new feet if we stack either the monoblocs or (2) reclockers? Or should these feet be used when we sit the monobloc's/reclockers on a firm surface such as wood, stone or composite laminate shelf that may be typical for many high-end racks?
If your new feet are used do you prefer stacking your units or would you prefer using them on a firm surface such as wood, stone or composite laminate?

Vincent, can you recommend these new feet if we stack either the monoblocs or (2) reclockers? Or should these feet be used when we sit the monobloc's/reclockers on a firm surface such as wood, stone or composite laminate shelf that may be typical for many high-end racks?
If your new feet are used do you prefer stacking your units or would you prefer using them on a firm surface such as wood, stone or composite laminate?
They are damping feet (transforming vibration to heat), not spikes, so they will help on a hear shelf or when the products are stacked.
Currently I use them on a wooden shelf.

Yes, the result is the d1-digital-sublime reclocker.
I also developed and additional board for this special reclocker. It is a major upgrade.

Vincent,
The Unity circuit improvements to the 3 DACs and the reclocker are already a notable milestone, but this additional board for the sublime reclocker is an unexpected surprise. May we know the design objective of the new board? And is it equally effective for all inputs? Thanks.

Vincent,
The Unity circuit improvements to the 3 DACs and the reclocker are already a notable milestone, but this additional board for the sublime reclocker is an unexpected surprise. May we know the design objective of the new board? And is it equally effective for all inputs? Thanks.
Yes it is equally effective for all inputs: AES-EBU, coax, toslink and USB.
The design objective was to have a complete separation between the input side and the output side of the anti-jitter FIFO to minimize the jitter leakage from the input to the output. The sound gets much more clear and the bass it tighter, more real.

Yes it is equally effective for all inputs: AES-EBU, coax, toslink and USB.
The design objective was to have a complete separation between the input side and the output side of the anti-jitter FIFO to minimize the jitter leakage from the input to the output. The sound gets much more clear and the bass it tighter, more real.

The upgrades to my d1-direct and d1-streamer are booked and I'm very eager to hear the change they will bring. Totaldac's reasonable upgrade policy makes ownership a very attractive proposition.

Alex Halberstadt from Stereophile wrote a review about the Totaldac room at the High End Munich show 2023, based on the d1-sublime DAC.
He is currently testing the Totaldac d1-unity DAC + d1-streamer-sublime for a review in Stereophile magazine.
https://www.stereophile.com/.../brilliant-corners-6...
"I make no secret of believing that good analog playback still has it all over digital, a technology that we have not yet perfected, but I was pretty bowled over by what I heard in the Totaldac room. Every component there except for analog cabling from Echole was made by Totaldac's Vincent Brient, but the star was definitely the four-box flagship D1-Sublime DAC (€50,000), consisting of a reclocker, power supply, and DAC monoblocks that use 600 high-precision Vishay foil resistors in their R2R networks. Augmented by Brient's solid state amplification and D100 speakers with optional super tweeters and subs, the D1-Sublime made a Qobuz stream of Leonard Cohen's "Show Me the Place" as natural as I've heard it, with thoroughly believable textures, ultrahigh resolution, and terrific portrayal of rhythm and pace. Brient, a compact, matter-of-fact Frenchman who makes compact, matter-of-fact components, allowed me to listen with minimal pressure and zero marketing chatter. I'm happy to say that Totaldac's new D1-Unity DAC, costing a rather more down-to-earth €12,500, has since arrived here in Brooklyn for a review."

923-TotalDAC-600.jpg

This recording is made just before leaving to the Paris Audio Video show!
It is recorded in the Totaldac headquarter in France using schoeps microphones.
The first two tracks are directly streamed from Qobuz using a 4g wireless modem.
Qobuz streaming to a totaldac system is easy using Roon or Jplay IOS app.
The three next tracks are local files.

The system is composed mostly of Totaldac components:
-d1-switch
-d1-player music server
-d1-streamer-sublime as RoonReady endpoint
-d1-digital-sublime reclocker
-d1-sublime DAC
-UP12 AES-EBU cables
-d1-driver-mk2 preamp monoblocs
-NEW damping feet on all source components and preamp
-Amp-1-mk2 amplifier
-d100%wood speakers with super-tweeter
-no subwoofer is used
-Echole Infinity interconnects, power cords and speaker cables (you can buy these from Totaldac)

Last edited:
What incredible system!!!
More modestly, when I "see" to what extent the latest upgrades significantly improve the sound at home (d1-streamer mkII -> sublime & d1-dac direct -> triunity without forgetting the latest software, this is probably the best development since I started with Totaldac in 2017 ;)

2023-10-21_00006.jpg

2023-10-21_00213.jpg

2023-10-23_00038.jpg

2023-10-23_00039.jpg

As usual, a very precise and musical system.
Note the presence of windows on the left, not so good for acoustics, but Vincent had thought of everything and brought acoustic panels for listening...
Difficult room, pleasant and musical listening...
Bravo Vincent!

Reactions: NICO and totaldac
I have a D1-single mk2 w/live power that I bought last year and love. I’m interested in upgrading to the D1-Unity but I keep reading about the new unity dacs being more resolute. I had a very resolute Mytek Manhattan 2 dac previously and it wasn’t the sound I was looking for. When I got the D1 single everything I was looking for fell into place. I’m concerned that upgrading to the Unity may loose a little of what I love about the Single mk2. Could anyone provide any insight into my dilemma?

I have a D1-single mk2 w/live power that I bought last year and love. I’m interested in upgrading to the D1-Unity but I keep reading about the new unity dacs being more resolute. I had a very resolute Mytek Manhattan 2 dac previously and it wasn’t the sound I was looking for. When I got the D1 single everything I was looking for fell into place. I’m concerned that upgrading to the Unity may loose a little of what I love about the Single mk2. Could anyone provide any insight into my dilemma?
Absolutely no worry, you will like even more the d1-unity, it is not analytical in the wrong way at all. It is simply far better than the d1-single-mk2.
You can also wait to read the Stereophile d1-unity review (December issue released mid November), it should help a lot to decide to go to the d1-unity.

Hello, new damping feet installed under the d1 steamer-sublime more than an option a real upgrade and very simple to set up, looking forward to having them on the rest of my system BRAVO !!!! and have a good Sunday in music.

Hello, new damping feet installed under the d1 steamer-sublime more than an option a real upgrade and very simple to set up, looking forward to having them on the rest of my system BRAVO !!!! and have a good Sunday in music.
Thank you Nico!
They have even more effect on the DAC.

Dear Nico,
Can you describe, in as much detail as possible, the sonic impact of the footers?
Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing