Totaldac D1-Direct dac and D1-Driver amp driver have arrived in Hong Kong

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Congratulations Cat6man! The D1-Direct with the D1-server/reclocker should be wonderful. Then when you are ready, talk to Vincent about his D1-Player product to complement what you already have.

Hi Arnies,
lucky man to have had before everyone else (except Vincent himself!) this d1-player ! but yes !... I'm next on the list, expected in February.
I'm a little bit impatient (more curious about it)...I'm not unhappy with my music which makes me travel so well!

And congrats cat6man... it seems to work !!!

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Thanks very much. I think you will really enjoy what the D1-player will do for you. I was quite surprised by the improvement.
I hope to upgrade my D1-Twelve setup to the D1-Twelve Mk2 version sometime very soon. I am looking forward to what that upgrade does sonically.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks very much. I think you will really enjoy what the D1-player will do for you. I was quite surprised by the improvement.
I hope to upgrade my D1-Twelve setup to the D1-Twelve Mk2 version sometime very soon. I am looking forward to what that upgrade does sonically.

Hi Arnies,
can you tell a little bit more about this surprising improvement ?

Thank you
Bruno

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
HI Bruno,

Of course,
You should hear a lower noise floor. You should hear what I call a more elegant and refined sound from your system. I find this to be a case that grain and glare in the upper mids and high frequencies will be greatly diminished - and you probably didn't even realize you were hearing this previously until it was greatly reduced or gone completely. Before using the D1-player, I was using a QNAP NAS with solid state hard drives and an extremely good linear power supply from Paul Hynes for the NAS. The D1-Player easily surpassed this sonically and I was very surprised by what I heard.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks Arnies !... it looks great, one more time.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
HI Bruno,

Of course,
You should hear a lower noise floor. You should hear what I call a more elegant and refined sound from your system. I find this to be a case that grain and glare in the upper mids and high frequencies will be greatly diminished - and you probably didn't even realize you were hearing this previously until it was greatly reduced or gone completely. Before using the D1-player, I was using a QNAP NAS with solid state hard drives and an extremely good linear power supply from Paul Hynes for the NAS. The D1-Player easily surpassed this sonically and I was very surprised by what I heard.

Hello arnies,
Please share photos of your D1-Player with us, particularly their back.
Many thanks!

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi CKKeung,

The D1-Player is two boxes. A silent NAS and an outboard power supply. The NAS is a relatively simple looking rectangular black box. The outboard power supply looks identical to and has the same form factor as all the other TotalDAC boxes except that is weighs quite a bit more. The rear panel is completely different from all the other TD boxes.

I will post a few pictures this weekend.

Thanks

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung,
The D1-Player is two boxes. A silent NAS and an outboard power supply. The NAS is a relatively simple looking rectangular black box. The outboard power supply looks identical to and has the same form factor as all the other TotalDAC boxes except that is weighs quite a bit more. The rear panel is completely different from all the other TD boxes.
I will post a few pictures this weekend.
Thanks

Thanks Arnies!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello,
Here is a review of the d1-direct:
https://www.audiostream.com/content/totaldac-d1-direct-dac-review

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Here are some pictures of the TotalDAC D1-Player. The first picture is looking down on the NAS and the power supply stacked on top of each other (The NAS is on top). The second picture shows the rear of the NAS with the power cable from the power supply to the NAS on the left side and the ethernet cable from the power supply to the NAS to its right. The third picture shows the left side of the rear of the power supply. The left most ethernet cable connects the power supply to the router and the ethernet cable to its right is the one connected to the NAS. The last picture shows the right side of the rear of the power supply with the power cord that I am using to power it (Echole Omnia power cord).
IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1437.jpg IMG_1435.jpg IMG_1438.jpg

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Right now I am listening to the first unit of a very high end one-box power supply for the d1-server + d1-twelve-mk2! The sound is more live and open again!
It is mounted in a DAC-like enclosure.
Maybe a future option for the d1-twelve-mk2.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Dear Sir,
Couldn't make any sense of the flowery language in the linked write-up. In plain language what is the purpose of "drect" line of products? What does "direct" mean? how do they sound different / better from the already SUPERB sounding DACs like D1 Six?

If one is already using a preamp they like in their system, which line of DACs do they get, stay with original product line or go with the new Direct line?

Thanks for clarifying the confusion!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
The d1-direct (and d1-twelve-mk2) have a great success without those buying or upgrading to it because it goes closer to what was recorded. It is simply more real sounding, and this gives pleasure because instruments and voice sound closer to their real sound. The d1-direct is another league compared to the d1-six.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
How about d1-direct vs d1-seven?

IMHO Seven has got bigger dynamics and richer sound but it's not my cup of tea.

The Direct is transparent, pure and effortless, resembling the Twelve.
It is the second best dac amongst all Totaldac dac models!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

caesar

May 30, 2010
The d1-direct (and d1-twelve-mk2) have a great success without those buying or upgrading to it because it goes closer to what was recorded. It is simply more real sounding, and this gives pleasure because instruments and voice sound closer to their real sound. The d1-direct is another league compared to the d1-six.
Thanks. So what are the considerations between this new model and your anniversary, seven model, which is quite recent as well?

Additionally , does one get better sound by having the streamer inside DAC unit? Or is one better off in getting the external reclocker / streamer box?

And what is the bass booster option? What does it do? In what scenarios does one need it?

Thanks

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
The re-clocker is really a game changer with the d1-direct.

What are folks using for the aes/ebu cable between the reclocker and d1-direct?
Any comparisons?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing