Todd's AG Trio G3 System -- it's about time

Why don't you go to a live classical concert, Carlos, to hear what that really sounds like?

(And yes, we have debated the video thing ad nauseam, nothing to add.)

Next time that you are at classical music concert, check out where the microphones are positioned. They are in close proximity to the instruments and not out in the audience. The microphones are positioned in such a way to capture the full range of the instruments and/or vocalist. That is the sound that is being reproduced and not the comb-filtered sound at your seats.

Here are some more basics for you: One reason higher frequency sounds decay more rapidly over distance is due to the phenomenon of absorption. Higher frequency sound waves are more easily absorbed by the medium through which they travel, such as air or solid materials.

Next time that you are at classical music concert, check out where the microphones are positioned. They are in close proximity to the instruments and not out in the audience. The microphones are positioned in such a way to capture the full range of the instruments and/or vocalist. That is the sound that is being reproduced and not the comb-filtered sound at your seats.

Here are some more basics for you: One reason higher frequency sounds decay more rapidly over distance is due to the phenomenon of absorption. Higher frequency sound waves are more easily absorbed by the medium through which they travel, such as air or solid materials.

Listen to the 3rd movement of Beethoven's 5th in these performances (starts at 19:06 and 18:21, respectively) and compare to the above video playing the same music, then you'll hear the difference:

Listen to the 3rd movement of Beethoven's 5th in these performances (starts at 19:06 and 18:21, respectively) and compare to the above video playing the same music, then you'll hear the difference:

If the sound on those videos is the sound that you are after then it shouldn’t be too hard for you to achieve that with your system. Pretty low bar Al.

If the sound on those videos is the sound that you are after then it shouldn’t be too hard for you to achieve that with your system. Pretty low bar Al.

Who said this was the sound that I was after? All YouTube video sound is a pretty low bar.

I thought the obvious point in the context of our discussion was to listen for the difference in tonal balance. The concert videos have a relatively normal tonal balance, not a bright one (even though they don't sound too great in the treble either), contradicting your assertions above about microphone capture.

The AG horn video on the other hand is excruciatingly bright, with an insufferable glare. I am not saying that it is representative of the system sound in person, but I just commented on the video sound in the context of you saying, based on it, that the tweeter sound was a bit "neutered" compared to your OKTAN6 horn system.

Here the AG horn video again for reference:

I think you have a point. With modern classical recordings employing 10+ mikes all over different places of orchestras. Adding that the sound engineers manipulating theses 10+ tracks with DSP. I wonder why anyone would expect classical recordings will resemble anything one hear in live classical concerts.

I think you have a point. With modern classical recordings employing 10+ mikes all over different places of orchestras. Adding that the sound engineers manipulating theses 10+ tracks with DSP. I wonder why anyone would expect classical recordings will resemble anything one hear in live classical concerts.

Sure, it won't sound the same but not as bright as those AG horn videos, as I pointed out with YouTube concert recording counter-examples.

While it won't sound the same as in a concert (also depending on where you sit) there is still some clear resemblance of good recordings to a classical live performance.

O Helga natt - Marianne Mellnas, original recording per Naxos Youtube.

Compare entrance of choir at 1:02 with above video (about same timing).

I don't hear the AG room recording to be particularly bright. (And I'm particularly intolerant of overly bright sound).

I do prefer the YouTube vids to the room vids however as I can't help but hear the room resonances which impart an artificiality and awareness that your listening to hifi gear. This doesn't necessarily mean the room reflections are so apparent in real live.

Does this room look like a recording studio? Look at that room. It looks like a racquetball court. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the phone mic is equally picking up all of the reverberant sound. And the phone mic's don't do such a great job with bass. So the spectral balance we hear on these videos is going to be tilted up. The more lively the room the worse it will be. To add insult to injury the person recording the videos is not even centered between the speakers.

No one should be trying to draw any conclusions based on those videos. Maybe Magico has it right by trying to restrict videos of the M9 from being posted.

Here we go with another video discussion. Grrrr.

vids are ok as long as they´re not used as "evidence" of a systems character
eg my vids are taken by same phone, same room, same amps with minor system adjustments or I tell Ked what´s done

vids are ok as long as they´re not used as "evidence" of a systems character
eg my vids are taken by same phone, same room, same amps with minor system adjustments or I tell Ked what´s done

don’t drag yourself down to the level of this discussion

I can agree with that. If we shoot a video in the same room holding everything the same and change something then a comparison could be made between the two videos. If both are bright then ok. Which one is less bright or has more xyz, etc.

As I pointed out earlier, videos are even being posted of different systems using different recordings of the same piece of music. What is it exactly that we are supposed to take away from that?? I contend it is only truly meaningful to the person who recorded it as he is the only one who knows what it actually sounded like in the room.

Reactions: Al Stewart
Does this room look like a recording studio? Look at that room. It looks like a racquetball court. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the phone mic is equally picking up all of the reverberant sound. And the phone mic's don't do such a great job with bass. So the spectral balance we hear on these videos is going to be tilted up. The more lively the room the worse it will be. To add insult to injury the person recording the videos is not even centered between the speakers.

No one should be trying to draw any conclusions based on those videos. Maybe Magico has it right by trying to restrict videos of the M9 from being posted.

Here we go with another video discussion. Grrrr.
I would like comments to be accompanied by a “yes/no“ addition if a commenter has had a first- hand experience of the product discussed. I have heard the new Trios (with / without ITron) twice and they are direct but with 0% shrillnes. It doesn’t impress me at all if people post a hundred videos to make a point if I have experienced something myself.

FB_IMG_1705603176834.jpg

The new Mezzo will be released soon.

Also, Avantgarde has said about a secret project that it will be unveiled a few months after the new mezzo, I guess this project could be about a new iTron exclusive preamp which is also of the current drive type.

View attachment 123640

Also, Avantgarde has said about a secret project that it will be unveiled a few months after the new mezzo, I guess this project could be about a new iTron exclusive preamp which is also of the current drive type.
Nice addition to the stable. Fills the huge price gap between the DuoGT and the Trio/Spacehorn.

It will be interesting to see if they do a preamp and how it would stack up against the CH L10.

Reactions: Kozak170
I would like comments to be accompanied by a “yes/no“ addition if a commenter has had a first- hand experience of the product discussed. I have heard the new Trios (with / without ITron) twice and they are direct but with 0% shrillnes. It doesn’t impress me at all if people post a hundred videos to make a point if I have experienced something myself.
Hi Nirodha,
What amps and how long were your listening sessions, if you don't mind sharing?

Yes

Paul Seydor

On Saturday I heard the system Paul Seydor reviewed.

Two big caveats:

1) the system does not portray the sense of depth that I am used to from dipole planars.

2) the owner did not play any tracks that I am familiar with.

With these two caveats, at least for jazz music and for classical music, I think this is the single best system I've ever heard in my entire life.

I have heard AG speakers 10 or 15 times. It is the first time ever I have heard an AG speaker with zero (0) brightness.

It is the most natural-sounding horn speaker I've ever heard, and it may be the most natural-sounding speaker of any kind I've ever heard.

The transient response and jump factor and lifelike realism with no hint of brightness or edginess or aggressiveness was revelatory.

I don't understand how this system vanquishes brightness in AG speakers.

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the insightful information! No leanness with Berning amps, huh?

- Do you know if the guy tried any other amps before settling on Bernings?

- How big is the guy's room? any treatments?

- How many bass horns is the guy using?

- Who helped him do the setup?

- What speakers did the guy have before the Trios?

- You heard some brightness / shrillness with Avantgarde at their factory ?!?

- Finally, what other top systems were you moved by, loved, or admired to put your glowing endorsement of the experience in context?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but fascinating stuff, if you know any of it.

Thanks again!!!

View attachment 123640

Ohhh the loudspeaker follow-up was expected. The iTron pre-amp however is really new. I asked Avantgarde about this two months ago they told me there were no plans for new amps.

Hi Nirodha,
What amps and how long were your listening sessions, if you don't mind sharing?
Hi Caesar, the amps were AVM pre ( power); the Riviera pre (mono power) and iTron power

Reactions: caesar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing