Tidal or Competitor Without a Computer (like Spotify)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Of course, as in all things audio. Any suggestion that the U1 Mini suffers by having an internal SMPS that can't be upgraded by an external LPS unit?

I believe the U1 can.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Dallyboy, it's like everything in audio, things can be impvd w after market changes. But if the option is n/a as is the case w ext psu on U1 Mini, and the sound is perfectly palatable, then there is no need to fuss. The bigger U1 does have the option for ext LPS.

Dallyboy

Mar 15, 2019
Yes you’re right, after market changes can improve things. I look forward to hearing from someone that has done so. Also look forward to hearing your thoughts on the U1 mini if you go for one.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
The original U1 (not the U1 Mini) comes standard with an external dual-toroidal linear power supply, part of the reason for its much higher cost.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, as w Ron here who set this thread, I'm not the most intuitive streaming customer, and I'm so lucky in having a very local cottage industry audio guy who is running a dac on my very short shortlist. He's a Lumin man, plus other streamers. And he considers U1 Mini plus Kitsune Holo an excellent mix. I'm v happy to be guided by him here.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The original U1 (not the U1 Mini) comes standard with an external dual-toroidal linear power supply, part of the reason for its much higher cost.
Bill, the U1 is on my radar too, my dealer is investigating whether the step up to the U1 is indeed justified re better psu. We're talking 3x cost of U1 Mini.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Thank you, but I don’t want to add a computer device. I don’t need Roon..

I intend to plug a streamer into an ethernet jack

That’s sorta like saying you only want a Wi-Fi router and you’ll skip the cable modem because you’re going wireless...

I understand your frustration. I think the whole streaming thing is kind of a giant PITA. There are numerous people that would go streaming if it was simple, simple like a CD player.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Folsom, that's me, Ron and many more described.
Then again I wanted chocolate milkshake everyday when I was little, and it didn't happen...

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Bill, the U1 is on my radar too, my dealer is investigating whether the step up to the U1 is indeed justified re better psu. We're talking 3x cost of U1 Mini.

There are some after market kits now available that allow one to change the U1 Mini to accept an external LPS. Keces is a reasonably priced LPS out of Taiwan (approximately 350.00) . They don’t supply the “ kit”, however I am sure an on line search can point you in the right direction.
Cheers.......

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
That’s sorta like saying you only want a Wi-Fi router and you’ll skip the cable modem because you’re going wireless...

I understand your frustration. I think the whole streaming thing is kind of a giant PITA. There are numerous people that would go streaming if it was simple, simple like a CD player.
Bingo, why is there not a single box Dac/Streamer/Server?
Step 1: Set device on shelf.
Step 2: Hook device to system and internet.
Step 3: Start DACing, servering and streaming off tablet/phone UI.

Dallyboy

Mar 15, 2019
That’s sounds interesting Mr jazz. My friend has the Lumin A1, we use it as a streamer only in my dac the EAR DAC 4 then used the U1 mini , the Mini sounded a bit wider an deeper in sound stage but everything else seemed the same.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,
If you really want simple I would advise you to look at the Lumin U1Mini.

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1-mini.html

All it requires is an Ethernet cable and iPad. Then connect the U1 mini to your dac by its many output choices.

Thank you, but it seems that the server also just requires an ethernet connection and an iPad and a DAC. And I find very attractive the way the MSD interfaces let you keep noisy ethernet signals away from analog source components.

I feel like I am quite content and understanding of this plan, should I decide to do this in the future:

1) Purchase hi-res Qobuz streaming subscription

2) Purchase Innous Zenith,* locate it away from analog source components, and plug it into ethernet jack of wi-fi router on office desk

3) Purchase iPad which connects via wi-fi to display Qobuz and control Innous Zenith streamer

4) Innuos Zenith USB port connects to MSB Pro USB on office desk

5) Purchase MSB DAC

6) Fiber cable connects MSB Pro USB on office desk to MSB Pro ISL in MSB DAC near analog source components

7) Cease being proud of lacking digital playback capability on big stereo

* Or Aurender or Lumin streamer

Am I missing anything?

Oh, yes, pour Alex of Alma big glass of scotch for setting whole thing up!

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thank you, but I don’t want to add a computer device. I don’t need Roon..

I intend to plug a streamer into an ethernet jack

You realize a streamer is a computer device. No streamer has a better user interface than Roon. Actually, the i5 with Roon functions exactly like a streamer and costs significantly less, though I understand that is not something that concerns you.

Dallyboy

Mar 15, 2019
Yes the U1 mini requires a dac. Sorry Ron I thought you had an MSB dac.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You realize a streamer is a computer device. No streamer has a better user interface than Roon.

. . .

Yes, I realize a streamer is a computer device. Though they are very useful and efficient I do not like computer devices, which is why I never wanted one connected to my stereo.

My understanding is that Roon has much more information and metadata than I personally have any interest in dealing with. If the Qobuz app is half as easy to use as the Spotify app then I will be very happy with Qobuz. I do not need Roon + Qobuz.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Yes, I realize a streamer is a computer device. Though they are very useful and efficient I do not like computer devices, which is why I never wanted one connected to my stereo.

My understanding is that Roon has much more information and metadata than I personally have any interest in dealing with. If the Qobuz app is half as easy to use as the Spotify app then I will be very happy with Qobuz. I do not need Roon + Qobuz.

From your post #93 it sounds like you have a plan.

I do think you have some misinformation regarding Roon, Yes Roon may have a lot of information that “can” be accessed and I use almost none of it. What it does do is make using something such as Qobuz or tidal seamless. It is virtually plug and play especially when it is a Ethernet connected device such as MSB.

Like you I do not want a computer anywhere near my 2-channel room. All my dCS upsampler sees is the last 18” of a 60’ run of Ethernet cable coming thru the wall.

It is good to see you will be able to try some new music and decide whether you want to add it to your analog library. Good luck!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

I do think you have some misinformation mregarding Roon, Yes Roon may have a lot of information that “can” be accessed and I use almost none of it. What it does do is make using something such as Qobuz or tidal seamless.

. . .

Thank you!

What does you mean that Roon makes Qobuz seamless?

Isn’t using Qobuz on its own app already seamless? How does Roon help Qobuz run better on the Qobuz app?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thank you!

What does you mean that Roon makes Qobuz seamless?

Isn’t using Qobuz on its own app already seamless? How does Roon help Qobuz run better on the Qobuz app?

Ron,

With Roon, you'll be able to have Qobuz, Tidal and local files available to you, side-by-side.
Like in the case of that Neil Young track we played a few months ago... The Tidal stream was OK, but with Roon, I was able to quickly pull my hi-res file, which was much, much better sounding. Roon allows you to visualize all the different version of the same album/song that you have in your library.
It's not absolutely necessary, but Roon is a good part of what makes digital so enjoyable to so many these days. Just sayin' :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bingo, why is there not a single box Dac/Streamer/Server?
Step 1: Set device on shelf.
Step 2: Hook device to system and internet.
Step 3: Start DACing, servering and streaming off tablet/phone UI.

I think audioquattr says the Aurender 10 does all of this in one box.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing